TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need some input please

Wolfie

I was looking at an '08 GT500 Convert. Today. It was imported by the dealer (I live in Canada) has only 950 miles on it. It is very clean has the red inserts on the door panels and seats. It has had the axel backs replaced with what I think are the Ford Racing Stingers (sounds very nice) It has the shelby snakes but they have red inserts, is that normal or is it after market? The Shelby lettering on the trunk also had the red inserts, and it was centered as opposed to being on the left of the trunk.

The build date was August 29 2007, in service March 13th 2008 so it still has a year left on the warranty.

I noticed it had a bit of a hiss from the clutch and was wondering if it may need the TSB done. Because it was imported the service records were not available today.

My question is, is this car worth looking at. The price is good (in the Canadian market anyway) but is it stock otherwise (except for the axle backs) I was not sure about the red emblems.

This is the ad for it. It is on sale for $45,808 CDN

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Cars_details/VANCOUVER_British+Columbia_2008_FORD_MUSTANG+GT500_3857054.html?srcid=7195704&source=27&pgno=1&srt=10&CompanyID=BS200521495957&r=britishcolumbia&ad-attributes=photos,,

Can somebody run the vin for me please... 1ZVHT89S485123258

The red highlighted snake badges are not correct for that car. Those badges only came with the red stripe package GT500's, and those 500's only came in white or black, and both with red stripes. The red stripe cars also came with special red stripe snake floor mats too.

It appears that someone personalized that car when they owned it because the red inserted Shelby logo is not correct (again, red stripe pkg only) and it would have been placed on the left hand side of the deck lid.

The hissing from the clutch is normal, and is not an indication that the TSB has been done or not done.

I was looking at an '08 GT500 Convert. Today. It was imported by the dealer (I live in Canada) has only 950 miles on it. It is very clean has the red inserts on the door panels and seats. It has had the axel backs replaced with what I think are the Ford Racing Stingers (sounds very nice) It has the shelby snakes but they have red inserts, is that normal or is it after market? The Shelby lettering on the trunk also had the red inserts, and it was centered as opposed to being on the left of the trunk.

The build date was August 29 2007, in service March 13th 2008 so it still has a year left on the warranty.

I noticed it had a bit of a hiss from the clutch and was wondering if it may need the TSB done. Because it was imported the service records were not available today.

My question is, is this car worth looking at. The price is good (in the Canadian market anyway) but is it stock otherwise (except for the axle backs) I was not sure about the red emblems.

This is the ad for it. It is the second one listed here. It is on sale for $45,808 CDN

http://listings.boostmotorgroup.com/Search.aspx?DealershipID=149&PageSize=20&ParentCompanyID=0&DealerGroupID=0&MediaID=36&onSpecial=0&Wholesale=0&Demo=0〈=en&isLogo=1&origin=0&CustomLogo=0&VehicleType=&VideoYN=0&IsSpecial=0&IsMembership=0&IsDemo=0&IsWholesale=0&IsCertified=0&NotDemo=0&IsNew=0&VehicleTypeID=0

Sounds like a nice car. The Powertrain warranty is 5yr/60,000 miles. The dealership has the ability to show you if the TSB has been performed, simply work the TSB into the deal at no cost to you after you have reached an agreement on the price. If you don't work it into the deal, it will be more of a pain. Get it before you take delivery or in get it writing they will perform the TSB at no cost to you.

The red highlighted snake badges are not correct for that car. Those badges only came with the red stripe package GT500's, and those 500's only came in white or black, both with red stripes, and the cars also came with special red stripe snake floor mats too.

It appears that someone personalized that car when they owned it because the red inserted shelby logo is not correct (again, red stripe pkg only) and it would have been placed on the left hand side of the deck lid.

The hissing from the clutch is normal, and is not an indication that the TSB has been done or not done.

Thank you for the reply i did not think it was a red stripe car but wanted to make sure. My concern is the low miles. The body looks good I looked very close at it

Thank you for the reply i did not think it was a red stripe car but wanted to make sure. My concern is the low miles. The body looks good I looked very close at it

Your quite welcome. I'm sure that the car is sound, and the low mileage might not be a cause for concern because many people bought these cars only to treat them like garage queens in order to protect their future investment, which is just silly.

Other owners (mostly east coasters) that bought the car to love and drive are bound by bad weather and must garage their cars for a few months a year, and that could have been the case with this car too. You really cannot drive a GT500 in the snow because of poor traction, salt, and ice.

Your quite welcome. I'm sure that the car is sound, and the low mileage might not be a cause for concern because many people bought these cars only to treat them like garage queens in order to protect their future investment, which is just silly.

Other owners (mostly east coasters) that bought the car to love and drive are bound by bad whether and must garage their cars for a few months a year, and that could have been the case with this car too. You really cannot drive a GT500 in the snow because of poor traction, salt, and ice.

So what kind of cost is involved in replacing the emblems? I noticed it has a CAI also, i'm guessing a canned tune to go with the CAI or is that not necessary?

So what kind of cost is involved in replacing the emblems? I noticed it has a CAI also, i'm guessing a canned tune to go with the CAI or is that not necessary?

If the CAI is from K&N it does not have a tune, and most will tell you to remove it and dump it into the trash can (some have shown that K&N CAI's cause a lean condition). If it's a JLT, Ford Racing, or similar, then it has a tune with it, something that you should have access to if you decide to buy the car. Getting back to the CAI, let me be clear; I'm not talking about a K&N filter, I'm specifically talking about an entire K&N CAI system.

Replacing the emblems (compaired to other potental costly issues with the car) is a minor cost. I suspect that you should be able to replace all of the badges and Shelby script for under $200.00 if that much.

If the CAI is from K&N it does not have a tune, and most will tell you to remove it and dump it into the trash can (some have shown that K&N CAI's cause a lean condition). If it's a JLT, Ford Racing, or similar, then it has a tune with it, something that you should have access to if you decide to buy the car. Getting back to the CAI, let me be clear; I'm not talking about a K&N filter, I'm specifically talking about an entire K&N CAI system.

Replacing the emblems (compaired to other potental costly issues with the car) is a minor cost. I suspect that you should be able to replace all of the badges and Shelby script for under $200.00 if that much.

Looking at the pictures it appears to be a C&L CAI. So it should have a tune on it? I do appreciate your help on this very much, Thank You.

Also looking at the picture of the engine from the front it looks different from other Shelbys. Look at the pully on the blower. Stock I see 1 on this one I see 2.

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Cars_details/FlashPopUp.aspx?img=http://photogdi.canadatrader.com/gdiphotos/ppgphotos/20091113152311930/20091113152311930_201036115338981290625_display3.jpg&zd=3

Looks like the car has had a Stage II (CAI + pulley) done, as well as the addition of an idler pulley. I have a similar Steeda setup on mine.

Ok thanks for that little tidbit of info. What sort of performance gains are ther with the Stage 2?

Looking at the pictures it appears to be a C&L CAI. So it should have a tune on it? I do appreciate your help on this very much, Thank You.

With pulley and cai mods It better have a tune on it!! Ask if they have the handheld tuner with the car...

$45,808 for an 08 vert in Canada isn't outragous, but start out low... 42,500!! If it has the tuner that is...

With pulley and cai mods It better have a tune on it!! Ask if they have the hand held tuner with the car...

$45,808 for an 08 vert in Canada isn't outrageous, but start out low... 42,500!! If it has the tuner that is...

I sent the sales guy an email asking about the tuner. They are closed on Sunday so I will have to wait until tomorrow. I was going to start low was figuring on $41,000.

If you do remove the red badging and replace en with the strandard black, I'm always interested in having extras of things like that laying around, at a reasonable price of course, in case there is a need.

I sent the sales guy an email asking about the tuner. They are closed on Sunday so I will have to wait until tomorrow. I was going to start low was figuring on $41,000.

:happy feet:

With pulley and cai mods It better have a tune on it!! Ask if they have the handheld tuner with the car...

$45,808 for an 08 vert in Canada isn't outragous, but start out low... 42,500!! If it has the tuner that is...

I agree with OCD that you need the tuner. Otherwise you have no way to make tuning changes, check faults, or return it back to stock. Otherwise you will have to by a tuner, have the dealership put it back to stock, then add the tune back. Doable but you need to consider it when dealing on the car. Also don't ever drive a pullyed car without the proper tune.

• 3 weeks later...

Did not get this car. It was bought out from under me. But I am working on another one.

I know on the island Steve Marchelle ford Campbell river and Nanaimo were importing gt500s form the states. I bought mine in February of 2008 (Nanaimo)and the unit had been sitting on the lot for 9 months. I know the Campbell River location had one or two they imported and the owners son drove a black 07 vert and ran the :censored: out of it. If you are looking at this dealer be sure you have the importation sticker and the day time running lights are turned on. Ford requires the importation # before they will supply the code for the DRL. I had quite the bad experience dealing with them. Any Ford Service centre should be able to give you the repair history, although my car shows up with the clutch TSB done but not the fact the dealer screwed it up the first time.

Good luck and happy shopping

Glen

Archived