TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Installed OE Look IC Reservoir 3x Capacity

TX STIG

Not being a fan of the metal box look of the more common larger IC reservoirs, I ordered a OE look-alike from VMP Tuning.

While VMP Tuning's web site stated, "Requires slight trimming of upper intercooler pump hose due to larger size", I found it's more involved than that. The stock reservoir empties at a 90 degree angle, but the new on empties straight down. This means a 90 degree hose needed to be created to match up with the hose that goes to the heat exchanger.

Since the top hose had to be cut, I was able to use it as the bottom hose, and then purchase a 3/4" coupler to mate up with the lower heat exchanger hose. Also, I paid special attention to make sure no metal clamps were against other rubber hoses as to avoid cutting over time. I'm posting a series of pictures below so this makes more sense.

I'll post a follow-up once Revan Racing's (C&R Racing) heat exchanger is installed, but I won't be able to drive the car until mid-late April as I have no tires or wheels until my new ones are built and shipped.

This first picture shows the elbow cut out of the upper hose, and the remaining hose is then used as the lower hose.

814791245_tLE7e-XL.jpg

814791684_szvx6-XL.jpg

814792867_jdd4J-XL-1.jpg

814793966_28Kvo-XL.jpg

814796991_FGhwd-XL.jpg

814797437_zwmmV-XL.jpg

814795964_uobbw-XL.jpg

You need to rid yourself of those ridicoulous looking worm clamps and source some factory style clamps but other than that I guess it looks OK, not sure you will gain much cooling capacity though.

The only non-factory clamp that's visible is the one on top. The factory style clamps are a PITA to work with.

I believe the capacity increase is a little under a gallon, so that means it takes it from 1.5 quarts to about 4.5 quarts. That increase, combined with the increased capacity from the C&R Racing dual pass heat exchanger is fairly significant.

What was the original application of the new tank?

If you're asking what was the original use of the new tank, I was wondering the same thing. However, it has the leg that extends down into the radiator shroud, so it was purpose built to fit where it does. It's very close to a reverse copy of the radiator reservoir.

What was the original application of the new tank?

It looks like the Roush unit they use on the 4.6L Roushcharged models (427R, 540RH & Stage-III).

Now the question is, where does *Roush* get them from and does he sell them to the GP?

Phill

You need to rid yourself of those ridicoulous looking worm clamps and source some factory style clamps but other than that I guess it looks OK, not sure you will gain much cooling capacity though.

The worm clamps have been replaced with left over factory clamps from the discarded OEM heat exchanger.

Archived