TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Engine Cap Set Fitting Not right???

Hi all,

I am new to the Shelby World. Just purchased a 2010 Shelby GT500 in Jan. 2010. I purchased the engine cap set (GT500 one) and am finding it really hard to get the washer fluid cap to fit. It has a plastic ring lip washer inside the cap and that bugger just doesn't seem to snap on the plastic tube. Hate to try too hard cause I might break it. Any ideas, especially from the Shelby Store Guys?

Racin' Randy

Hi Randy - I am new here too but I wanted to mention that I was looking at a KR the other day and the washer fluid cap was pretty much just laying in place and did not fit well at all. I have noticed, looking at pictures of engine bays of Super Snake, that they have the cap set installed but the washer cap in use is the yellow plastic one from the factory. :headscratch:

Hi all,

I am new to the Shelby World. Just purchased a 2010 Shelby GT500 in Jan. 2010. I purchased the engine cap set (GT500 one) and am finding it really hard to get the washer fluid cap to fit. It has a plastic ring lip washer inside the cap and that bugger just doesn't seem to snap on the plastic tube. Hate to try too hard cause I might break it. Any ideas, especially from the Shelby Store Guys?

Racin' Randy

Are you sure the washer cap is made for the 2010? I have a 2008 SGT and the washer caps are different between 2008 and 2010 I know, cause my wife has a 2010 GT....

The cap on the 08 snaps on and is round...the cap on the 10 flips up and is almost oval....

Additional information from the Shelby Store Web Site:

Notes:

* Windshield washer fluid cap does not fit 2010+ models.

Welcome, The washer cap dose not fit on my car worth a crap either, I have even had it replaced once, and the new one is no better

Mine fits just fine on my 08 SGT....hard as heck to get off and back on, but at least I ain't gonna loose it....

Hi all,

Racin' Randy

Dear Randy:

This is Tim with Shelby Store. Currently, there is no washer cap in production for 2010's. The rest work perfect. It's kind of in the fine print for that item so a lot of people miss it. Please don't push too hard! LOL :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Randy:

This is Tim with Shelby Store. Currently, there is no washer cap in production for 2010's. The rest work perfect. It's kind of in the fine print for that item so a lot of people miss it. Please don't push too hard! LOL :salute:

Thanks, I kinda have it half on, and yeah I didn't want to push too hard. Thanks all.

Racin' randy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I kinda have it half on, and yeah I didn't want to push too hard. Thanks all.

Racin' randy

I have a 2010 GT500 and bought a set of caps from a TS member.

For the washer cap to work, I went to the dealer and bought a new WS washer reserviour cap for a 2010 (9 bucks).

I used a razor knife to cut the 'lip' off of the cap to make it round.

I pulled the plastic ring out of the Shelby cap and marked a notch on the side where the 2010 'pivot' will fit.

Either cut it out with a hack saw or use a cut-off blade on a grinder (my choice) to cut the notch out.

Then install the OEM cap into the Shelby cap using a gob of silicone between them to hold it in place.

Now I have a WS washer cap that works like the OE cap (pops up and swivels over) but is the Shelby billet offering.

HTH,

Phill

• 1 month later...

For the washer cap to work, I went to the dealer and bought a new WS washer reserviour cap for a 2010 (9 bucks).

I pulled the plastic ring out of the Shelby cap and marked a notch on the side where the 2010 'pivot' will fit.

Either cut it out with a hack saw or use a cut-off blade on a grinder (my choice) to cut the notch out.

Then install the OEM cap into the Shelby cap using a gob of silicone between them to hold it in place.

Now I have a WS washer cap that works like the OE cap (pops up and swivels over) but is the Shelby billet offering.

HTH,

Phill

I had the same issue. I cut off the lip with a knife nad made the round yellow cap fit the inside of the billet cap. I then epoxied the yellow cap inside. It now fits perfect. End of story.

HTH,

Phill

Great walkthrough!!!

• 1 month later...

My brake fluid reservoir cap would not fit tight either. Had to put a "shim" in the top to get it to SNAP properly into place, rather than just sitting on top of the tank. I actually used some extra black magnet "tape" I had laying around. Was about 1/16" thick and when cut to shape fit perfectly in the top of the cap and now it fits nice and snug... just in case anyone was having that problem too...

My brake fluid reservoir cap would not fit tight either. Had to put a "shim" in the top to get it to SNAP properly into place, rather than just sitting on top of the tank. I actually used some extra black magnet "tape" I had laying around. Was about 1/16" thick and when cut to shape fit perfectly in the top of the cap and now it fits nice and snug... just in case anyone was having that problem too...

Tell me about "black magnet tape" My brake fluid cap is the same. Checked the oil today and it was just laying on the tank. I was thinking of putting on an additional gasket to see if that would tighten things up.

Tell me about "black magnet tape" My brake fluid cap is the same. Checked the oil today and it was just laying on the tank. I was thinking of putting on an additional gasket to see if that would tighten things up.

Honestly, I don't even know where to tell you to get it. It's just some material I had around from work. It's just a firm, pliable roll of magnetic strip that is about 2" wide by about 1/16" thick and on a roll. I was just looking for anything I could use to put in the top of the cap to give me a "spacer" of sorts. It needs to be firm enough not to fold and of course nothing that will degrade once the brake fluid gets on it. That said, this "magnetic tape" I had laying around worked perfect. Cut a circle out of it, put it in the top of the cap, installed the o-ring from the old cap and it fits snug as a bug now. If you can find anything that is fairly firm, about 1/16" thick and won't degrade, it should work.

I tell you what, if you can't find anything, PM me your address and I'll cut you off a piece and mail it to ya

HTH,

Phill

Props on some great ingenuity!!

Props on some great ingenuity!!

I really need to take a picture and post it because it came out real nice.

I have a bunch of other pics I need to take and post on a variety of other posts/threads so maybe this comming week I'll get off of my bigg butt and get some photo's of my car taken/posted. If I do, I'll get one of the washer fluid cap mod posted for this thread.

Frankly, Shelby should be doing this mod themselves and selling the cap with the OE washer cap installed. It'd cost them 9 bucks more (at the very MOST since that's MSRP for the '10 washer cap) and it would make their Super Snake caps complete plus make a bunch of 2010 customers real happy.

It took me all of about 10 minutes to modify my cap with a hacksaw and a small triangle file, another few hours for the siicone to set-up and I have a WS fluid cap that works just like OEM but has the Shelby Aluminium cover/cap on it.

I tell ya what, if *I* paid $40K for a Super Snake I sure as hell would want the washer fliud cap included to complete the set......

But maybe that's just me,

Phill Pollard - picky picky picky

BTW, here are some pics, not sure if they show much, but it's what I used.

ec6d8f6b.jpgd759d271.jpg

I ended up using the gasket from the stock hood pin setup that I replaced. I had to trim a little bit to get the fit right, but it certainly made the cap fit much better. Thanks again for the idea.

• 7 months later...

It took me all of about 10 minutes to modify my cap with a hacksaw and a small triangle file, another few hours for the siicone to set-up and I have a WS fluid cap that works just like OEM but has the Shelby Aluminium cover/cap on it.

Just did mine too. Quick and easy. I used a couple small strips of 3M tape to secure it. This forum made another task ultra easy. Thanks.

DSC_0631.jpg

DSC_0630.jpg

DSC_0639-1.jpg

Just did mine too. Quick and easy. I used a couple small strips of 3M tape to secure it. This forum made another task ultra easy. Thanks.

Yep, that's exactly how I did mine. I did a write-up on it in another thread with step-by-step pictures but can't remember the name of the thread.

I think I have a couple of pics left;

Frankly, I'm STUNNED that Shelby won't take 10 minutes of their time to finish off a engine bay cap set on a $33K-$45K Super Snake. And if they had their machinist incorporate this "notch" into the machining process (using the end mill they use to mill out the center of the cap) it wouldn't even take that long.

Amazing....

Phill

post-26522-0-94237000-1300989197_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-42416100-1300989232_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-49156200-1300989259_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-21193400-1300989294_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-71545100-1300989325_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-88387000-1300989353_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-77928900-1300989407_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-14295400-1300989444_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-57886300-1300989468_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-48177900-1300989481_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-94237000-1300989197_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-42416100-1300989232_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-49156200-1300989259_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-21193400-1300989294_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-71545100-1300989325_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-88387000-1300989353_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-77928900-1300989407_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-14295400-1300989444_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-57886300-1300989468_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-48177900-1300989481_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good fix to an issue that SAI should be sorting out themselves. The billet oil cap for my CS wasn't a good fit and required filing down the OE cap so it would fit over it.

Archived