TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS hood install

Installed my SS hood over the winter and just got the car out for the first drive of the year. Notice on the highway around 70 mph to 80 I can feel a little bit of a surge. Also in town when in third gear holding steady around 2800 rpm I feel the same surge. I does it a couple times then goes away and all this at normal operating temps. I read some posts about the amount of air through the hood and should be restricted or reduced to correct a stall condition after coming off the highway and I haven't had this issue occur. I have the JLT carbon fiber C.A.I installed and had to trim some of the air box side panels to make it clear the hood, so with that I think there should be enough outlet for any air pressure to escape to prevent this from happening. I plan to run my SCT and log some data to see If it shows what I am feeling in the car. Any thoughts?? Thanks

Derrick, I'm not saying that it's 100% definately the source of your problem, but you really should consider baffling the hood above the air cleaner in order to reduce turbulence around the air cleaner itself.

The stalling issue was just of the the issues caused by not having a baffled intake. If I recall the old forums that Bud from SA generated about this subject, surging was another potental issue too.

Here's a picture of an early baffle. They have changed the design since my car was built (1st production SS), and they are now molded into the hood itself, and the openings are hole sawed out.

post-4213-126893972903_thumb.jpg

post-4213-126893972903_thumb.jpg

Archived