TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buy 2010 Now or Wait for the 11's

austin590

I just wanted to get some opinions, which I am sure we all have when it comes to the Cobra's! I am trying to decide between the 2010 or going ahead and waiting on the 11. I have read all about the performance/stability changes they are making with the 11's especially with the convertibles which is what I will be purchasing. MSRP looks to be roughly the same for the 11's over the 10's unless you add the performance package onto the 11's. What I am finding is the dealers seem to be backing off the MSRP and if you are lucky enough to find one with 1 or 2K miles on it the $$$ really drop. So what do you think is the wisest decision, buy now or wait? Thanks!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wanted to get some opinions, which I am sure we all have when it comes to the Cobra's! I am trying to decide between the 2010 or going ahead and waiting on the 11. I have read all about the performance/stability changes they are making with the 11's especially with the convertibles which is what I will be purchasing. MSRP looks to be roughly the same for the 11's over the 10's unless you add the performance package onto the 11's. What I am finding is the dealers seem to be backing off the MSRP and if you are lucky enough to find one with 1 or 2K miles on it the $$$ really drop. So what do you think is the wisest decision, buy now or wait? Thanks!

I am seeing a lot of these 2010 cars seller for close to invoice so around a 5 k savings. That said I am waiting for the 11, its just worth it to me.

5 k in mods would certainly help any 2010 overcome its short falls.

I've ordered a 2011. The aluminum engine and electric steering is a big improvement over the 2010. Otherwise, its about the same car as the 2010. Had an opportunity to get a 2010, but passed to wait for the 2011. The 2011 should handle and feel much better with that weight off the front end. I'd wait for the 2011. You may regret getting the 2010 when the 2011's hit the street in June.

Without the SVT PP the 2010 and 2011 coupes are the same car, except the Aluminum engine block which reduces the weight by 120lbs. The 2011 vert frame has been stiffened 30% over the 2010 vert frame, which puts it in line with the 2010/11 coupe, as far as frame stiffness goes. The 2011 vert has the same 120lbs weight reduction as the 2010 coupe. So if you can get a 2010 for around invoice, it is worth $5k for Aluminum block and 120lbs? 2011 MSRP for the base vert went up approx $1,900 over the 2010, if I remember correctly. However, HID is standard in the 2011 so the difference is more like $1,400. The Electronics package went up $145 to. As for my decision...see my signature happy%20feet.gif

Im a vert, guy and not a big fan at my age of drivng tight suspension cars---ive got a 2007 vette,that will rattle your teeth out,and i didnt want that in my GT500.This car to me is really amazing, it handles as well, or better in nice high speed curvy mountain roads than the vette does--really.And to me i can dirve for sveral hours and feel fine.From a price viewpoint, your net will be atleast 6K more for a 2011, and that buys a alot of suspension work if your not happy.Plus you wont go thru the whole drama 2010 owners went thru on getting cars--some folks didnt see carstil August after having ordered them in Feb!!With the Aluminum block being new to the GT500, theres a delivery risk for sure.Another thing to watch is if there is a delivery issue with the 2011s, you may see the 2010 market prices go up--the whole supply and demand thing,since theyre not making any 2010s,and the supply is dwindling--bob

Without the SVT PP the 2010 and 2011 coupes are the same car, except the Aluminum engine block which reduces the weight by 120lbs. The 2011 vert frame has been stiffened 30% over the 2010 vert frame, which puts it in line with the 2010/11 coupe, as far as frame stiffness goes. The 2011 vert has the same 120lbs weight reduction as the 2010 coupe. So if you can get a 2010 for around invoice, it is worth $5k for Aluminum block and 120lbs? 2011 MSRP for the base vert went up approx $1,900 over the 2010, if I remember correctly. However, HID is standard in the 2011 so the difference is more like $1,400. The Electronics package went up $145 to. As for my decision...see my signature happy%20feet.gif

I thought I would fall off the fence to the 11's (also the gas gussler tax is history, another savings! :-)) And Henry, I was leaning towards the Kona Blue as well! I thought I also read that the stability items added on the 11's make a big difference in how the convertible handles (if I read it correctly) and since I plan on a convertible seems that would be another plus for the 11! Anyway I do appreciate everyone's feedback! Greg

It's all about what kind of pricing you can get. If you can pickup a 2010 for close to invoice there is a lot you can do in mods with $5k! A stock 2011 couldn't even compete!

+1

If price and a potential long wait is no object get a 2011. If you want to get a good deal, stick with a 2010 either slightly used or new - plus you could be driving one by the end of the week.

A 2011 with the SVT package...absolutely!!!

(just my personal opinion of course)

If you can pickup a 2010 for close to invoice there is a lot you can do in mods with $5k! A stock 2011 couldn't even compete!

Including voiding your warranty.

Its gonna be nice to taking my stock 2011 in for warranty work, instead of them denying a previous model for installing FRPP springs, shocks, sway bars, CAI, shorties, mufflers, 3.73 gears, 20" rims, .HID's, larger 2011 heat exchanger and anything else that im forgetting that comes STOCK on a 2011 w/svt.

Including voiding your warranty.

Its gonna be nice to taking my stock 2011 in for warranty work, instead of them denying a previous model for installing FRPP springs, shocks, sway bars, CAI, shorties, mufflers, 3.73 gears, 20" rims, .HID's, larger 2011 heat exchanger and anything else that im forgetting that comes STOCK on a 2011 w/svt.

Let's see how wrong you are here.

1) The car still sits too high with the SVT package springs

2) CAI is the same as the 2010

3) Muffers are the same

4) You got me on gears

5) The staggered wheel sizes don't look right on the Stang. If someone wants 20's all around they will have to get different wheels.

6) HID already came with my 2010

7) Heat Exchanger is the same. The intercooler is what changed

I understand your desire to have EVERYTHING covered under warranty. Just remember since you want the SVT Performance package you are paying even more than the $5k spread we are talking about.

Gears on the svt are not an issue since the rear tire is a full inch taller in diameter(not talking about the wheel), on a gear/rpm calculator it runs almost identical rpms as a 3.55

The stock exhaust is supposedly better on the 11, that is where the additional 10hps came from, so Ford says. Why no gains in hp listed from losing the power steering to electric steering is beyond me, I would have thought at least 8-10......

In my opinion, if you are looking at a coupe, you will be happy with a 10 or 11.........if you want a ragtop, then buy an 11, the changes to the chassis are worth it.

Gears on the svt are not an issue since the rear tire is a full inch taller in diameter(not talking about the wheel), on a gear/rpm calculator it runs almost identical rpms as a 3.55

The stock exhaust is supposedly better on the 11, that is where the additional 10hps came from, so Ford says. Why no gains in hp listed from losing the power steering to electric steering is beyond me, I would have thought at least 8-10......

In my opinion, if you are looking at a coupe, you will be happy with a 10 or 11.........if you want a ragtop, then buy an 11, the changes to the chassis are worth it.

I agree if you are going vert it's 2011 or bust since that's the car with the biggest difference.

Have obtained some great input. Now here is some real numbers that just came up this evening and also keep in mind I'm not going to be go to the track so the 10 more horsepower is probably wasted on me. Also, if I go with the 11 I will probably pass on the performance package, don't see much need for the type of driving I will be doing, you know 5 miles below the speed limit, slowing down for red lights a quarter mile before I'm there,,, HA! yea right LOL. Anyway I came across a Kona Blue ragtop, HID, electronics package that has the Nav but a little over 3,300K miles but probably could get for $48K and this is through a dealer. Supposed to be in mint condition. I haven't had a chance to look up invoice yet.

Can someone quantify the difference in "ride" between the 2010 GT500 Coupe and the 2011 with the SVT PP? If you're not taking your Shelby "on track" and wanting maximum performance, is the SVT PP trim a plus or minus for street legal "spirited driving" enjoyment, including "butt" wear and tear on long cruises?

Let's see how wrong you are here.

1) The car still sits too high with the SVT package springs

2) CAI is the same as the 2010

3) Muffers are the same

4) You got me on gears

5) The staggered wheel sizes don't look right on the Stang. If someone wants 20's all around they will have to get different wheels.

6) HID already came with my 2010

7) Heat Exchanger is the same. The intercooler is what changed

I understand your desire to have EVERYTHING covered under warranty. Just remember since you want the SVT Performance package you are paying even more than the $5k spread we are talking about.

It sounds like you guys with '10's want to minimize the '11?

The logic about saving money to spend on mods can apply to any situation, so what's the point? I have a '08 currently that will blow the doors off a stock '10 or '11 model, and I paid way less.

Yippie for me.

As for your list... #''s 1 and 5 are subjective opinions. #6, you paid extra for the HID's. You also paid for a gas guzzler tax, or it was factored into the price of the car. Granted, with the deep discounting going on with the '10's that's not a factor I guess, but the fact is, "invoice" includes that tax, so even if you work a deal on the cars, that invoice price is worked off the original cost factor.

There's something to be said for being able to purchase a brand new car that has "mods" right from the get-go. And no matter how you want to spin things, no matter what, the '11 model has less weight over the front wheels than previous years and anything you would do to a '10 or an '09 to lose weight could still be done to an '11, correct?

I admit I have had this same thought process as the OP has. I have been looking at several '10s. Saw a Grabber Blue last night that has everything I'd want for less than $45K.

True, I could be driving one by the weekend if I want. Something keeps telling me to be patient and wait. I feel like if I pull the trigger on a 10 model, when I start seeing the '11s out there, I will regret it.

People also are using this "Only 10 more horsepower" number for reference, and I'm not so sure that's accurate. Ford's been known to under-rate changes (475 horsepower Cobra Jet ring any bells????)

Dropping 100 + pounds, adding horsepower, removing drag from the engine with electric power steering add up to more power to the rear wheels.

I think in summary, if you plan to order a "base" 2011 and none of the "new options" appeal to you, then yea, might as well save some cash and buy a '10 at deep discount. But if things like the glass roof, SVT package and having a much better handling car right out of the box appeal to you, then I'd wait it out. The way I ordered my '11 has me waiting this out.

It sounds like you guys with '10's want to minimize the '11?

The logic about saving money to spend on mods can apply to any situation, so what's the point? I have a '08 currently that will blow the doors off a stock '10 or '11 model, and I paid way less.

Yippie for me.

As for your list... #''s 1 and 5 are subjective opinions. #6, you paid extra for the HID's. You also paid for a gas guzzler tax, or it was factored into the price of the car. Granted, with the deep discounting going on with the '10's that's not a factor I guess, but the fact is, "invoice" includes that tax, so even if you work a deal on the cars, that invoice price is worked off the original cost factor.

There's something to be said for being able to purchase a brand new car that has "mods" right from the get-go. And no matter how you want to spin things, no matter what, the '11 model has less weight over the front wheels than previous years and anything you would do to a '10 or an '09 to lose weight could still be done to an '11, correct?

I admit I have had this same thought process as the OP has. I have been looking at several '10s. Saw a Grabber Blue last night that has everything I'd want for less than $45K.

True, I could be driving one by the weekend if I want. Something keeps telling me to be patient and wait. I feel like if I pull the trigger on a 10 model, when I start seeing the '11s out there, I will regret it.

People also are using this "Only 10 more horsepower" number for reference, and I'm not so sure that's accurate. Ford's been known to under-rate changes (475 horsepower Cobra Jet ring any bells????)

Dropping 100 + pounds, adding horsepower, removing drag from the engine with electric power steering add up to more power to the rear wheels.

I think in summary, if you plan to order a "base" 2011 and none of the "new options" appeal to you, then yea, might as well save some cash and buy a '10 at deep discount. But if things like the glass roof, SVT package and having a much better handling car right out of the box appeal to you, then I'd wait it out. The way I ordered my '11 has me waiting this out.

I'm not trying to minimize anything. The biggest gain between the 2010 and 2011 comes on the vert side. The difference between a non SVT package 2011 Coupe is slighty different then a 2010. Sure the upgrades help but is it worth the price spread for some people? Heck would they even notice a difference?

If you plan on keeping the car stock, I'd say the '11 looks like a good choice.

However, if you plan on getting bit by the power-mod bug, I personally like the '10 route. Aluminum blocks are great if they are purpose-built for high boost, but Ford is building this block for 9 lbs and anything else you're in unchartered territory. You start adding 200-300 hp with higher boost and flex could be an issue. Combine this with the new cylinder coating and it's just not what I want in a muscle car...until it's been proven. I posted an article on FordGT500.com that was written by a guy that did formal testing on the pre-production coating for the Nissan GT-R (which was licensed from Ford) and his concern was the coating was not too happy with HP numbers over 600. Maybe things have changed/improved, but if not no one will have an argument with Ford as it will simply be a warranty denial. Having said that, I'm excited to see the guys looking forward to getting their '11's and start doing some mods. You basically have a new platform that will become the foundation for future improvements.

As far as electric steering - no thanks! Electric steering is known for providing minimal feedback and numerous manufacturing defects (from the supplier) have been documented from other auto manufactures. Of course Ford says feedback is great (and maybe it is), but what else are they going to say? I also like the stiff feeling of the steering at slow speed, and do NOT want something that steers like a Lincoln while driving slow around the neighborhood. The only reason this was added is because it improves gas mileage (and it's probably cheaper to produce), and making changes to improve gas mileage is not what I'm looking for in a Shelby GT500.

For people wanting a vert with minimal mods, I'd say go for the '11.

Well if you are talking the GT500's, I think I would buy one now, 2010. I had the same choice and went with the 2010. Reasons: Cheaper. To outfit it like my 2010, would cost another $5000. More standard features on the 2010 that seem to be options now. Engine: the 5.4 liter cast iron block is proven with thousands of engines out there. The new engine, aluminum with ... is brand new. No track history on it, sure the GT40 is suppose to have it, I don't know about that. And with only 102 lbs. difference I didn't think it was worth the gineau pig status. Plus, the cast iron was chosen to build the beast even more. So it seems to be a trust issue with me. Sure you get 10 more horsepower, but I could get that with a dynatune and more. For me, the louder exhaust was a plus. And those new strips are you kidding.

Racin' Randy

The sleeveless aluminum engine is definitely a concern for me, I admit that.

However, I think it seems rather odd that you would have a 50 horsepower threshold to work with before "problems", especially when part of Ford's business model is the Ford Racing parts bin. You think there won't be a "super pak" available for the 2011 models? They're going to go from offering 660 HP TVS upgrade on a '10 model to nothing for '2011?

They KNOW people will do pulley swaps or blower upgrades. EGT (exhaust gas temperature) will be around 1400 degrees or so, the coating requires temps upwards of 30,000 degrees.

I guess some of us will have to be the ones to push it? I have a TVS on my '08. I'd love to install it on the '11. :drool:

If it won't hold up to mods, you guys can thank us for blazing a trail... :superhero:

Addressing some of the other comments, like "I'd expect with the electric steering the HP rating would be higher" you have to realize the HP rating is crank HP and it's not factoring in drag from the accessories, just like it does not factor in drag from the driveline.

It's always a risk buying things in the first year of a particular configuration. Time will tell I guess. :lurk:

I better stop reading this topic, you guys are gonna talk me into a '10... :angry22:

From pre-release press coverage:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

One piece of technology that helped to make this muscle car a little slimmer was the addition of a Plasma Transferred Wire Arc cylinder lining. This Ford-exclusive technology is being applied for the first time, and helps to reduce weight by 8.5 pounds while also reducing friction within the piston rings and cylinder bores by coating the inside of the cylinder bores with special nanoparticles. Ford also says that this new technology will provide for better durability and improved heat transfer.

Ford also points out that this new Shelby Mustang is uses an engine with roots in the now discontinued Ford GT supercar – but with improved block structure through the use of a unique bulkhead chilled process and six-bolt billet main bearing caps. Ford says that the 2011 Shelby GT500 engine will exceed Ford GT performance due to its superior supercharger technology.

With increased power comes…increased fuel efficiency?

Bucking the trend of range-topping muscle cars receiving a gas guzzler’s tax, Ford says the 2011 Shelby GT500 will be the first modern Shelby without a gas guzzler tax, thanks to the EPA-projected 15 mpg city, and 23 mpg highway ratings. Ford’s engine changes also result in 80 percent torque being available between 1,750 and 6,250 rpm, along with a larger two-row intercooler that delivers 40 percent more cooling capacity.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sales hype? Or a huge leap forward in technology and performance potential? That is the question.

You wanna pony up $50 grand to find out? Or play it safe with the existing engine? I guess that's the choice one has to make...

A 2011 with the SVT package...absolutely!!!

(just my personal opinion of course)

Agreed 1000%

If I were buying today it would be this or possibly the GT350, 2010 would not even be a consideration, but like others said it depends on your financial situation and also what the car is being used for.

I am suprised this thread is devoid of how fugly the wheels and the stripes are on the 2011. I am the very proud owner of a 2010 for sticker, not plus 15, as quoted by a local dealer) and I do not put much credence in 100lbs savings (in the block). If underated horsepower applies in 2011 it has also applied in 2010 and all the way back to the '69 (Boss 429, etc, etc). 5ki?! I can improve the HE and add a pulley, plugs and tune for about 2K and be in the hunt for 660 (crank) hp. 2011? Ford just laid off 900 bodies (and that sucks). Do you want your car built by a team that is not sure if they are going to be employed tomorrow? No thanks..With that said, If you are driving a Camaro...I'm looking for you...

From pre-release press coverage:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

One piece of technology that helped to make this muscle car a little slimmer was the addition of a Plasma Transferred Wire Arc cylinder lining. This Ford-exclusive technology is being applied for the first time, and helps to reduce weight by 8.5 pounds while also reducing friction within the piston rings and cylinder bores by coating the inside of the cylinder bores with special nanoparticles. Ford also says that this new technology will provide for better durability and improved heat transfer.

Ford also points out that this new Shelby Mustang is uses an engine with roots in the now discontinued Ford GT supercar – but with improved block structure through the use of a unique bulkhead chilled process and six-bolt billet main bearing caps. Ford says that the 2011 Shelby GT500 engine will exceed Ford GT performance due to its superior supercharger technology.

With increased power comes…increased fuel efficiency?

Bucking the trend of range-topping muscle cars receiving a gas guzzler’s tax, Ford says the 2011 Shelby GT500 will be the first modern Shelby without a gas guzzler tax, thanks to the EPA-projected 15 mpg city, and 23 mpg highway ratings. Ford’s engine changes also result in 80 percent torque being available between 1,750 and 6,250 rpm, along with a larger two-row intercooler that delivers 40 percent more cooling capacity.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sales hype? Or a huge leap forward in technology and performance potential? That is the question.

You wanna pony up $50 grand to find out? Or play it safe with the existing engine? I guess that's the choice one has to make...

I have a ton of faith in Ford and im not going to loose a wink of sleep over it. Ive had to lemon law car in the past and I wont hesitate on the 2011 GT500 if it proves to be a lemon. Ive got bigger things on my mind then new technology in my pleasure vehicle, infact that's exactly why im buying it is all then new technology. I wish it had even more technology like blind spot and lane change detection, back up camera, dual clutch transmission option, direct injection, electronic diff, launch control, flex fuel.

You guys crack me up!! I remember "back in the day" when it was the '10 was better than the '07-'09. Now it's the '10 vs '11. This will never stop, because hopefully the Mustang will get better every year. In the end nobody can answer which year you should get other than yourself. Good luck in YOUR decision!!

Archived