TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 shelby gt500 drivers side head is bad

22 members have voted

1. 1. have you had to warranty your brand new 2010 shelby

• yes
    • no

Well I finally heard back from ford today and the new word is that my drivers side head has a flaw or a manufacturer defect. I first discovered the problem when I was going to put in some ngk iridium plugs and found #7 spark plug hole full of oil. Been to the dealer and they replaced the drivers side valve cover gaskets and gave me the car back. I drove it home and because I am a lil bit anal retentive i pulled the #7 coil pack to see if the problem was fixed and found oil in there again! I cleaned it out and thought maybe ford neglected to clean out the hole or something and took the car for a test drive and checked it again and bam there was more oil. So long story short I went back to ford and this is the new prognosis they gave me today. Question is has anyone else had problems or is it just me? Also I had warranty work done on the drivers side seat for the airbag by the shoulder restraint because it was poking thru the leather and not staying locked into position. Just my luck I guess.

the bulge is your airbag not clicking into the tabs and had to be replaced with a new tab and airbag. ford said the bag was deformed.

I also have this issue. I pushed it back into position several times. You can feel it click or snap back in, but in and out of the seat a few times and it is unlatched again.

Did the dealer say anything about this causing a problem with deployment? If this is a bag problem I expect to see a recall in the near future if this problem could affect performance or hinder deployment.

As far as the plug/oil issue, I will check tomorrow and report back.

Todd

I also have this issue. I pushed it back into position several times. You can feel it click or snap back in, but in and out of the seat a few times and it is unlatched again.

Did the dealer say anything about this causing a problem with deployment? If this is a bag problem I expect to see a recall in the near future if this problem could affect performance or hinder deployment.

As far as the plug/oil issue, I will check tomorrow and report back.

Todd

not trying to scare you all but i think there are a few issues with the seats and no they did not mention a problem with deploying but i think people need to report this so a tsb comes out to fix this, and i hope no one else will find oil in the spark plug holes. i had bought quite a few parts from lethal performance and one of those was a sct tuner with a jon lund canned tune and i was having bad idle and surge problems with the car and his recommendation was to go a better plug with him thinking it was spark blow out and such. and thats when i found the problem. the coil pack was grounding out to the head thru the oil i think.

not trying to scare you all but i think there are a few issues with the seats and no they did not mention a problem with deploying but i think people need to report this so a tsb comes out to fix this, and i hope no one else will find oil in the spark plug holes. i had bought quite a few parts from lethal performance and one of those was a sct tuner with a jon lund canned tune and i was having bad idle and surge problems with the car and his recommendation was to go a better plug with him thinking it was spark blow out and such. and thats when i found the problem. the coil pack was grounding out to the head thru the oil i think.

And what plugs did he say to use? Also I hope this is not the case.

I had the dam thing just flat out stall on me while driving down the interstate about a week ago. And not driver error, hard to stall a car going 65mph. I did throw a engine light, but it reset after I cycled the key.

I really wanted to get the code with my SCT but stalled out in the middle of I-75/85 in downtown Atlanta is not the time to be trying to figure things out.

And what plugs did he say to use? Also I hope this is not the case.

I had the dam thing just flat out stall on me while driving down the interstate about a week ago. And not driver error, hard to stall a car going 65mph. I did throw a engine light, but it reset after I cycled the key.

I really wanted to get the code with my SCT but stalled out in the middle of I-75/85 in downtown Atlanta is not the time to be trying to figure things out.

Jon Lund recommended NGK TR6IX gapped at 30 for a pullied shelby. By the way that was kind of what mine was doing i would be going in one gear then shift to the next and the car would bog down real bad or stall then wham just take off.

Newest development from ford is this, I went by today to talk with service manager about what was exactly going on and this is what he told me. Drivers side head has porous material in the casting around spark plug #7 and is allowing the oil to seep thru the metal and it is not coming from the gasket. determination on this was made by using dyes in the engine and checking the hole frequently after start up and shut down. i guess the area closest to the front of the engine about middle of the hole is where its seeping thru. Other indicator was that the coil pack did not have oil around the coil pack where the seal is but farther down towards the spark plug is where you would see traces of oil. I hope you all understand what I am saying but the new head is on order and car should be back next week.

Hi,

So what symptom were you experiencing that led you to spark plug #7. Did you find this or someone (Ford) fessed up?

Also, the side bulge on the seat - I have it too. It's a pimple poking out.

Here are my issues off the bat with 5,800 miles:

a) noise coming from engine on WOT. Sounds like a diesel or open headers when nailing it. Annoying sound from engine.

B) feels like the car is slow. I'm not sure if the car is slow or not, but with 540hp and all this torque I'm not entirely impressed unless launching in 1st gear. Every other gear seems slow.

c) pimple in outside of seat near shoulder/tricep area

d) exaust crooked. Looking at the rear, one tip hangs lower than the other. A male thing I suppose.

e) leak from rear of both exhausts. I'll park the car and drip...drip...drip...from the rear of the exhausts. I would expect no drips of condensation.

f) seat belt fraying. When retracted or unlatched there is fraying at the c-pillar harness guide.

I don't think that I've ever seen a GT500... 07-10, that hasn't had a dimple in the driver's seat from the airbag. Look at any picture, online or otherwise, and you'll see that annoying protrusion. Actually, I'll include all S197 Mustangs... They all have them... Personally, my 07 GT, as well as my current GT500 had/has the dimple. I push it in, and it eventually pops back out again.

I don't think that I've ever seen a GT500... 07-10, that hasn't had a dimple in the driver's seat from the airbag. Look at any picture, online or otherwise, and you'll see that annoying protrusion. Actually, I'll include all S197 Mustangs... They all have them... Personally, my 07 GT, as well as my current GT500 had/has the dimple. I push it in, and it eventually pops back out again.

My 05 doesn't have the dimple but my 2010 GT500 does. Both have the side airbags in the seat.

i looked at some other brand new cars and mine was a lot worse than those hence the reason ford replaced it.

Should not matter how bad it is. it looks like shit, stresses the leather and increases the chance of a tear. I will be making a visit to my local dealer this coming week.

Still have to look at the oil/plug issue.

do you happen to know what they did to replace it? do they have to uncover the seat?

they unskin the seat and change out the bag then reskin it. i am not happy with the way the seat looks now because it still has the old bulge but nothing pushing on it anymore so it just looks shitty will complain on that too.

Archived