TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car Care

Dragon

What is the best kind of car wax to use for a shelby from the commercially available waxes? Thanks. Venom

Welcome to Team Shelby! Tell us about your car! Pictures?

As there are a lot of knowledgeable people on TS, you will probably get several responses to your query. And if you do a search, you can find a lot of info, although searches can be a bit tedious at times.

I'm not sure if the wax is the important part or how it is applied. I would recommend using a random orbital polisher like a Porter Cable 7424. From what I can gather from experts on the subject, the important step is breaking down the polish or the wax and the only way to do that is with something that is spinning thousands of times a minute. Hand waxing just doesn't impart enough mechanical energy to break down any polish or wax.

Now go drive your Shelby!

I've used Autoglym polishes for years and can't say enough good things about it. It is a little harder to get hold of over here but not impossible by any means.

Meguiars NXT 2 is pretty good but generates a static charge which attracts the dust.

Some people swear by using orbital polishers but in my experience they simply leave swirl marks etched in the paint. By applying the polish by hand with a sweeping motion that follows the body lines of the car you can avoid that issue. The use of a good polishing cloth is essential.

Here is what I use:

Megs NXT car wash with a grit guard in the bucket and micro-fiber mitt

Megs Clay or paint cleaner # 2 or #3

Megs Crystal Polish or #7 Show Glaze

Megs NXT or #26 Yellow tech wax

Megs Ultimate Quick Wax and Detailer

Megs #40 on vinyl,rubber,plastic and under hood

Micro Fiber Drying towels, micro fiber polishing clothes and micro fiber wax applicator pads

Don't use a polisher but if you do use a waffle pad, this will help eliminate swirl marks when using a polisher.

Here is what I use:

Megs NXT car wash with a grit guard in the bucket and micro-fiber mitt

Megs Clay or paint cleaner # 2 or #3

Megs Crystal Polish or #7 Show Glaze

Megs NXT or #26 Yellow tech wax

Megs Ultimate Quick Wax and Detailer

Megs #40 on vinyl,rubber,plastic and under hood

Micro Fiber Drying towels, micro fiber polishing clothes and micro fiber wax applicator pads

Don't use a polisher but if you do use a waffle pad, this will help eliminate swirl marks when using a polisher.

Thanks for the info...what does a waffle pad look like....do you have a picture....

Thanks

Welcome to the site. Detailing is not just about what product is better, its also about technique, knowing what each product does and understanding its function. You can wash and wax a car and it might look fine to most but us Shelby owners expect more like wettnes, depth, reflection and most of all durability from a detail. If you spend four or more hours detailing a car it needs to last a long time and look better than the car parked next to yours. Start with these steps to get the most out of a detail,

1. Handwash with a quality car soap, mitts, and towels to minimize any scratching of the paint.

2. Clay the paint to remove all the bonded contaminents from the clearcoats surface.

3. Polish the clearcoat to bring out maximum reflection and clarity of the clearcoat.

4. Glaze the clearcoat to really make the paint under the clearcoat POP.

5. Wax or seal the surface to protect all the hard work you just put into the detail.

6. Detail Spray after each wash to minimize water spots and keep the protection lasting longer.

Be patient and ask alot of questions about the products you are interested in. I can tell you I have spent alot of money on R+D (research and development) product wise and the boutique style products are better hands down. Over the counter products are cheap cost wise and dont last like boutique products. Now that said if you dont follow the steps above nothing will last long.

As for pads and machines, most products work better with a polisher for a few reasons.

The speed and heat help break the products down faster and more evenly to achieve maximum results.

Plus the human body cannot duplicate the oscilations and OPM's of a polisher. Its just not possible. I do this day in and day out and weigh 230lbs. and theres no way I could do what a machine does and do it well. Now the pads only cause marring if they are dirty. Pads only swirl if they are a heavy dense (cutting)pad not used properly. It doesnt matter the style of pad waffle, flat, hex, or any other style pad. Nine times out of ten if there is a swirl with a polisher involved its user error not the pad. Hopefully I have helped in some way with your questions. If not contact me Ill be glad to help. There is alot of misinformation out there so be careful with what you read on the internet. Heres an example of one "if you wax the car in the way the air goes over the car the wax will last longer". LOL

I heard this one during one of my detail classes I teach. Good luck.

I've probably tried at least 20 brands of wax in my time and I am currently using Meguiars NXT 2.0 - I think it's the best by far that I've found. Love the stuff!

I just bought this the other day for my Black SGT and I love it, looks like glass! :happy feet:

+1

Ice paste applied with the Powerball 2X per year. Ice liquid works great in between paste waxings. The Ice can be applied to plastic and it does not leave any residue when removing.

Great stuff.

SLC

Ditto what he said. I use the paste too, but I use the spray detailer for quick touch ups.

Archived