TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Out with the factory TSB Clutch

chuckstang

Just got it back today from the dealership.

Wow, expensive job.

$1300.00 for the Spec clutch

$200 for slave cylinder

$13 pilot bearing

$581 Labor

Total

$2094

Also had 08 lower damper pulley installed

$300 08 Damper pulley

$268 Labor

Total

$568

So, as many know, I had the tranny/clutch tsb performed last summer, so it had only a few thousand miles on it, but I was not satisfied with the factory post TSB set up particularly when it got hot and the extreme chatter.

To my surprise, at least that I can tell, I don't see any damage or excessive wear on either the clutch or flywheel, still all looks brand new. I am just comparing it to others posted that failed. Look for yourself and let me know what you think.

The flash makes some shadows which look like dark or hot spots but in person at least by my eyes Im pretty sure its nothing at all, but maybe some others could take a look or let me know what to look for.

I have no pics of the new Spec clutch that went in but my first impressions are, would not recommend. The gear roll over noise is ridiculously bad while the clutch pedal is pushed in, very very noisy, goes away once you release the clutch, not sure if its gear roll over noise but I belive that is what it is called and I know it is there from the factory just not nearly as loud as this. The chatter is worse than the factory clutch and reverse right now is pretty much not going to happen because you cant slip the clutch at all. I have 373s as well so I urge anyone thinking about this mod to not even bother with the factory 331 gears. I realize the clutch needs to break in but over the past 10 years I have driven about 6 different clutches and none of them changed drastically as far as chatter goes and general clutch characteristics and feel. So far no issues getting into all the gears besides, although 1st gear still takes a very firm push most of the time and has that double tap feel as you pop it into gear.

img2660e.th.jpg

img2661p.th.jpg

img2674p.th.jpg

img2680k.th.jpg

img2682h.th.jpg

Did you go your research on that spec? Those are industry known to be the loudest and most unforgiving clutches on the market, BUT they will handle huge power and never slip. The noisey working and tough shifting are a byproduct of having a super strong clutch. I think you went overboard. There are a few more options out there that will out perform the stock clutch and will be much more livable than the spec. Call a reputable speed shop and they can point you to the correct one.

To my surprise, at least that I can tell, I don't see any damage or excessive wear on either the clutch or flywheel, still all looks brand new.

Chuck, I don't think there was anything wrong with your factory clutch. That's just the way a high horsepower twin disc clutch works. Now you've got a clutch that can handle even more power, so the symptoms are even worse.

It is the SS which is the tamest and yes I did my homework on it.

not many choices for twin disc set ups for us

The factory clutch would heat up and lock me in and out of gears so Id say there was def something wrong with it or my tranny is fawked, well find out soon because obviously if I have the same issues with this Spec, then it is my tranny and at that point Id prob just trade it to an unsuspecting dealer lol for something better

Will do, I cant wait to hammer it for the first time.

I had the 08 balancer put on it, and probably just in my head but engine seems to rev a lil more freely :D

it will spin much easier. youll also pick up a few more HP/TQ to the wheels

Just got it back today from the dealership.

Wow, expensive job.

$1300.00 for the Spec clutch

$200 for slave cylinder

$13 pilot bearing

$581 Labor

Total

$2094

Also had 08 lower damper pulley installed

Let us know how it feels after 500 miles, should be better.

$300 08 Damper pulley

$268 Labor

Total

$568

So, as many know, I had the tranny/clutch tsb performed last summer, so it had only a few thousand miles on it, but I was not satisfied with the factory post TSB set up particularly when it got hot and the extreme chatter.

To my surprise, at least that I can tell, I don't see any damage or excessive wear on either the clutch or flywheel, still all looks brand new. I am just comparing it to others posted that failed. Look for yourself and let me know what you think.

The flash makes some shadows which look like dark or hot spots but in person at least by my eyes Im pretty sure its nothing at all, but maybe some others could take a look or let me know what to look for.

I have no pics of the new Spec clutch that went in but my first impressions are, would not recommend. The gear roll over noise is ridiculously bad while the clutch pedal is pushed in, very very noisy, goes away once you release the clutch, not sure if its gear roll over noise but I belive that is what it is called and I know it is there from the factory just not nearly as loud as this. The chatter is worse than the factory clutch and reverse right now is pretty much not going to happen because you cant slip the clutch at all. I have 373s as well so I urge anyone thinking about this mod to not even bother with the factory 331 gears. I realize the clutch needs to break in but over the past 10 years I have driven about 6 different clutches and none of them changed drastically as far as chatter goes and general clutch characteristics and feel. So far no issues getting into all the gears besides, although 1st gear still takes a very firm push most of the time and has that double tap feel as you pop it into gear.

img2660e.th.jpg

img2661p.th.jpg

img2674p.th.jpg

img2680k.th.jpg

img2682h.th.jpg

Man, sorry to hear you're still dissatisfied. I've read so many folks with positive comments about the spec clutch you went with.............maybe your tranny is fawked? Hopefully the break in will take care of your issues. Regardless, I hope it gets to a point that's acceptable for you. You've gone through too much BS with this whole clutch thing. Wondering if you considered the '10 GT 500 clutch at all, and if so, why you opted against it?

the 2010 clutch cost more and I heard only good things about Spec.

Well, see, I can deal with chatter I guess so long as it can withstand the abuse from stop and go driving.

My factory clutch was fine so long as you did not hit traffic or get in a situation where you need to slip the clutch alot.

I m happy right now, after talking to spec and others, I know know what to expect and the break in

the 2010 clutch cost more and I heard only good things about Spec.

Well, see, I can deal with chatter I guess so long as it can withstand the abuse from stop and go driving.

My factory clutch was fine so long as you did not hit traffic or get in a situation where you need to slip the clutch alot.

I m happy right now, after talking to spec and others, I know know what to expect and the break in

Cool, keep up posted. Very interested to hear your post break-in impressions.

Chuck, I don't think there was anything wrong with your factory clutch. That's just the way a high horsepower twin disc clutch works. Now you've got a clutch that can handle even more power, so the symptoms are even worse.

If that's the case, why are the '10's so smooth? It's still a twin disc.

After reading this thread I am thorougly convinced that there is a gypsy somewhere sticking pins in little Chuck dolls.

After reading this thread I am thorougly convinced that there is a gypsy somewhere sticking pins in little Chuck dolls.

Try getting rid of your Chucky doll...........Just an idea.

Chucky-Childs-Play-300x242.jpg

chucky.jpg

no kidding right, I have always had bad luck with Mustangs lol

Keep coming back for more though!

all twin discs are not created equal!

The 2010 is so smooth because of a different more foregiving friction material used and also it uses an iron flywheel which is heavier for easier take offs vs aluminum like used on my Spec flywheel.

Hope that helps

The chatter now after 200 miles is not much worse than factory if at all.

Try getting rid of your Chucky doll...........Just an idea.

Chucky-Childs-Play-300x242.jpg

chucky.jpg

hhahaha

that is hilarious

In all serious, most of my problems are just anoyances and it could be worse. Car has never left me stranded or actually broke

Oh wait, my saleen watts link snapped in half requiring a flat bed

and ahhhhhh, the battery magically died while I was at autozone

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH other than that, nothing to big LOL

no kidding right, I have always had bad luck with Mustangs lol

Keep coming back for more though!

all twin discs are not created equal!

The 2010 is so smooth because of a different more foregiving friction material used and also it uses an iron flywheel which is heavier for easier take offs vs aluminum like used on my Spec flywheel.

Hope that helps

The chatter now after 200 miles is not much worse than factory if at all.

I thought the 2010 used a nickel alloy flywheel?

hhahaha

that is hilarious

In all serious, most of my problems are just anoyances and it could be worse. Car has never left me stranded or actually broke

Oh wait, my saleen watts link snapped in half requiring a flat bed

and ahhhhhh, the battery magically died while I was at autozone

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH other than that, nothing to big LOL

These kind of things bug me too. Glad you are able to laugh about it as you work through these things. I do hope your clutch breaks in nicely and that you are happy with it in the end. dance.gif

Archived