TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lower grill/driving lights and Whipple install

I am planning to order the Whipple 550HP kit for my 07 Shelby GT. One concern is if the lower grill/driving lights that SAI installed are going to be a space problem with the intercooler. In searching the forum I found a post that indicated that you could have the driving lights or the brake ducts installed without causing a problem with the Whipple but not both. I would be fine with that as long as I do not have to remove the driving lights. I am already grudgingly giving up my strut tower brace. If anyone has information regarding my concern I would appreciate hearing from them before I order the supercharger so I know what I might be getting into. Thanks.

I know of several who have the lower grille and driving lights installed and also have the Whipple.

Here's the gist of the situation. . . . The intercooler mounts directly behind the front covr - out infront of the A/C condensor. It is fairly wide from right to left and this is where your problem is. So long as you do not wish to make your brake ducts "functional" with the piping back to the breaks. . . . you're platinum! If you do want to have the brake ducts work, there will not be room for the hoses to get past the intercooler. I am guessing here - but I think that the intercooler would protrude approx half way across the opening for the brake ducts - but would not in any way interfere with the driving lights as they are placed in the outside openings on either side.

It is "one or the other" as you've heard - can't have both - but you can certainly keep the setup that you have and still fit the Whipple's intercooler behind your front cover.

I wanted to know this same info a while back as I was also looking to have the driving lights and dect bezels installed. I wasn't so concerned about the brake ducts - I more wanted to driving lights for the asthetic looks up front. My thoughts were - "my SGT is not going to be on the track often enough (if ever) to need the brake ducts piping cold air to the brakes. . . I just want the lights to finish off the look of the front end and to help see better at night.

(the head lamp switch drives me nuts, in that, you can pull it out and nothing happens)

Hope this helps - I am sure that someone who has actually had this modification completed and also has the driving lights / ducts installed will leave a comment to clarify or agree with what I have posted.

Trevor

I know of several who have the lower grille and driving lights installed and also have the Whipple.

Here's the gist of the situation. . . . The intercooler mounts directly behind the front covr - out infront of the A/C condensor. It is fairly wide from right to left and this is where your problem is. So long as you do not wish to make your brake ducts "functional" with the piping back to the breaks. . . . you're platinum! If you do want to have the brake ducts work, there will not be room for the hoses to get past the intercooler. I am guessing here - but I think that the intercooler would protrude approx half way across the opening for the brake ducts - but would not in any way interfere with the driving lights as they are placed in the outside openings on either side.

It is "one or the other" as you've heard - can't have both - but you can certainly keep the setup that you have and still fit the Whipple's intercooler behind your front cover.

I wanted to know this same info a while back as I was also looking to have the driving lights and dect bezels installed. I wasn't so concerned about the brake ducts - I more wanted to driving lights for the asthetic looks up front. My thoughts were - "my SGT is not going to be on the track often enough (if ever) to need the brake ducts piping cold air to the brakes. . . I just want the lights to finish off the look of the front end and to help see better at night.

(the head lamp switch drives me nuts, in that, you can pull it out and nothing happens)

Hope this helps - I am sure that someone who has actually had this modification completed and also has the driving lights / ducts installed will leave a comment to clarify or agree with what I have posted.

Trevor

Trevor - what you have told me matches up with other input. I guess now i need to get thing ordered and installed. Man, it is going to be a fun (and expensive) summer.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Trevor - what you have told me matches up with other input. I guess now i need to get thing ordered and installed. Man, it is going to be a fun (and expensive) summer.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I am planning on taking my car back to sai and I spoke with Roger and he told me that I could have the brake ducts with the air hose and that they do fit, but only with the whipple , not the kenny bell I would call and talk with Roger or Bud before you make your purchase.

Take it easy ,

Scotty

Hi Chuck,

I am planning on taking my car back to sai and I spoke with Roger and he told me that I could have the brake ducts with the air hose and that they do fit, but only with the whipple , not the kenny bell I would call and talk with Roger or Bud before you make your purchase.

Take it easy ,

Scotty

Scotty,

Care to elaborate on what new firsts you are doing this time? I know you well enough to know it's not for getting it detailed.

Kind of betting on wheels based on other posts you have made.

Tom

Scotty,

Care to elaborate on what new firsts you are doing this time? I know you well enough to know it's not for getting it detailed.

Kind of betting on wheels based on other posts you have made.

Tom

Well Tom you are right. I am looking to have them install a 4pt rollbar and lower grill with brake ducts , wheels/tires and possibly the Baer extreme rear brakes. I of course will try and get Roger to test drive my car when I pick it up and weasel some track laps. :happy feet:

Scotty

Archived