TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Steeda Tri-Ax installation question(s).

usarockit

With warmer weather seemingly on the horizon here in Ohio, I am preparing to take the Tri-Ax out to the Shelby in the garage and install it. Although I have the Steeda instructions and have referenced other installations like the Lethal Performance write-up and one other I found while surfing, I find that I still have a few questions.

My main concern is being able to reach the pins which connect the shifter arms to the transmission with the car only being up on jack stands. All other installs I have seen show it up on a lift. I feel certain that I can easily install the Steeda Tri-Ax if I can actually reach the pins while laying under the car. So, if anyone has a photo or two of the space on either side of the transmission - or has firsthand installation experience, I would really appreciate a reply to this post!

Also, Lethal removed the driveshaft in their install but the other install pics seem to have bypassed that step. I have seen pics of the shifter mounting towards the rear of the car and it looks as though the driveshaft removal is not absolutely necessary to remov/install shifters - but I would like any folks with experience with this type of shifter change-out to give me a heads up on their experience - especially insofar as OEM shifter removal is concerned.

I replaced the shifter in my '96 GT with a Steeda and have no regrets. However, that was an installation taking place entirely from the cockpit. The Shelby is not. I find the factory shifter in the Shelby to have WAY too much movement when in gear and not anywhere near as precise as the '96 GT with the Steeda.

Sorry to make this so long. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

Sorry to make this so long. Any advice will be appreciated.

Go to the Ford Racing/FRPP site and grab the instruction sheet for the FRP short-throw shifter.

It has photo's and will answer all of your questions. I just read it the other day and it shows it to be pretty simple.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

Go to the Ford Racing/FRPP site and grab the instruction sheet for the FRP short-throw shifter.

It has photo's and will answer all of your questions. I just read it the other day and it shows it to be pretty simple.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

Thanks, Phill, it helped a lot to visualize the procedure.

I appreciate your help on this project!

Mark

Archived