TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Defective Fuel Cell -Check your fuel filter!

csx4910

I currently have csx4910 and I am wondering if anyone knows how much the upgrade to the 42 gallon tank would run and if it can be retrofitted to an existing car and if it would require redoing the sheetmetal in the trunk.

Also I have developed a miss or hesitation in my car after making a hard right turn like it is being starved for fuel. i am curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Ron

I currently have csx4910 and I am wondering if anyone knows how much the upgrade to the 42 gallon tank would run and if it can be retrofitted to an existing car and if it would require redoing the sheetmetal in the trunk.

Also I have developed a miss or hesitation in my car after making a hard right turn like it is being starved for fuel. i am curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Ron

Other than loosing what little trunk space you have, I can't imagine why you could not install a 42 gallon fuel cell in your trunk. But keep in mind that 42 gallons of gas is going to weigh quite a bit and that will effect the handling of the car when the tank is full.

As far as the fuel starvation on hard turns, let me take a guess and say that you are running a large double pumper Holley carburator on your engine right? If so, then you need to have your floats adjusted.

Other than loosing what little trunk space you have, I can't imagine why you could not install a 42 gallon fuel cell in your trunk. But keep in mind that 42 gallons of gas is going to weigh quite a bit and that will effect the handling of the car when the tank is full.

As far as the fuel starvation on hard turns, let me take a guess and say that you are running a large double pumper Holley carburator on your engine right? If so, then you need to have your floats adjusted.

No I am runnign a 511 Roush with 8 stack fuel injection. The motor just spent 5 months at Roush getting completely rebiult (with only 500 miles on it) The motor has been a piece of @#@$^&* since we installed it with one problem after another. For almost 1/2 of the 18 months I have had the car it has been in the shop. I would NEVER buy another Roush motor agian. This motor is serial number 1 and the first of its kind installed in a continuation car. Roush released it before working out the bugs in the motor and I have spent almost 2 years trying to get it sorted out. Just got it back from them 2 weeks ago after 5 months at thier shop and this problem cropped up.

Ron

No I am runnign a 511 Roush with 8 stack fuel injection. The motor just spent 5 months at Roush getting completely rebiult (with only 500 miles on it) The motor has been a piece of @#@$^&* since we installed it with one problem after another. For almost 1/2 of the 18 months I have had the car it has been in the shop. I would NEVER buy another Roush motor agian. This motor is serial number 1 and the first of its kind installed in a continuation car. Roush released it before working out the bugs in the motor and I have spent almost 2 years trying to get it sorted out. Just got it back from them 2 weeks ago after 5 months at thier shop and this problem cropped up.

Ron

Wow...I'm sorry to hear that you're having so many problems with that engine. Have you had the engine dyno'd yet? How is the air/fuel mixture?

Ron

wow, sounds like my CSX. the dealer built a Shelby 482FE motor with the Shelby SC Cobra kit and totally screwed it up. had to have the engine rebuilt among other things. getting back to your sputter problem. check your fuel cell and see if you have muti feeds from it.

mine only had one in the middle and it wasn't deep enough. with less then a half a tank of fuel and taking turns it would cause the engine to sputter. we add added two additional feeds one at each end of the fuel cell, problem solved.

wow, sounds like my CSX. the dealer built a Shelby 482FE motor with the Shelby SC Cobra kit and totally screwed it up. had to have the engine rebuilt among other things. getting back to your sputter problem. check your fuel cell and see if you have muti feeds from it.

mine only had one in the middle and it wasn't deep enough. with less then a half a tank of fuel and taking turns it would cause the engine to sputter. we add added two additional feeds one at each end of the fuel cell, problem solved.

Thanks I will try that. Any idea who to talk to at Shelby about the cost fo teh 42 gallon tank?

Ron

Thanks I will try that. Any idea who to talk to at Shelby about the cost fo teh 42 gallon tank?

Ron

try Gary or Tony Emerett at SA or try one of the Cobra dealers http://www.shelbyautos.com/dealers.asp

Shelby American, Inc.

Attn: Gary Patterson

6755 Speedway Boulevard

Las Vegas, Nevada 89115

Tel: (702) 942-REAL Fax: (702) 93-COBRA

Email: garyp@shelbyamerican.com

World Headquarters

try Gary or Tony Emerett at SA or try one of the Cobra dealers http://www.shelbyautos.com/dealers.asp

Shelby American, Inc.

Attn: Gary Patterson

6755 Speedway Boulevard

Las Vegas, Nevada 89115

Tel: (702) 942-REAL Fax: (702) 93-COBRA

Email: garyp@shelbyamerican.com

World Headquarters

+1.

I always start with Bud for all my questions. When it comes to Cobras, Tony seems to be the man. He's a great guy to work with.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Now I am facing the prospect of replacing the tank or the foam and bladder because the foam is already breaking down after only 3-4 years. 3 yrs I have owned it and at least a year the roller sat on the dealer's floor. I cannot believe that shelby can charge $65000+ for a roller and have so many seriou quality issues. I have had issues up the ying yang with roush but now also the shelby components. I had much better build quality on my superformance than I do on my CSX costing twice as much. I have found out shelby took the fuel safe bladder and then built their own tank for my car but have since switched to a different brand because of problems I can assume. My concern with replacing it is will I have the same problem 3 years from now? I cant believe I have to spend another $3-5K on replacing a tank that should be good for 8-10 years. Of course Shelby wont do anything about it and fuel safe wont becuase shelby built the tank with their guts in it so they point the finger at shelby. (they also have a defective tank in that they built the fuel pickup in a way that my gas gauge will never work right instead of putting a old fashioned float in teh tank like everyone else

On a completely unrelated note, I will have to end up replacing hte carpet eventually as wel becuase the way shelby glued it down wont stay and despite 3 or 4 times of reglueing the carpet isnt cut right for the car so I have an ugly gap between carpet and body. If it wasnt worth half of what I paid for it I would sell this piece of crap and buy a kirkham in a heartbeat

Estimate $200 for a rugged shipping box and shipping Fedex ground to Phoenix area.

Ended up buying a new tank from Mickmate to replace the defective one Shelby put in. Anyone that has a csx better be checking thier fuel filters for signs of the foam breaking down. It turns out as little as 3 years ago shelby built thier own tanks and used someone else's foam and bladder(to save money I am sure) but mine is only 3 years old and breaking down badly. They now use a different tank but if your csx is more than 2 years old, you have a faulty tank that will require you replacing the flaom every 3-5 years, particulary now with ethanol in the gasoline.

Ron

Now I am facing the prospect of replacing the tank or the foam and bladder because the foam is already breaking down after only 3-4 years. 3 yrs I have owned it and at least a year the roller sat on the dealer's floor. I cannot believe that shelby can charge $65000+ for a roller and have so many seriou quality issues. I have had issues up the ying yang with roush but now also the shelby components. I had much better build quality on my superformance than I do on my CSX costing twice as much. I have found out shelby took the fuel safe bladder and then built their own tank for my car but have since switched to a different brand because of problems I can assume. My concern with replacing it is will I have the same problem 3 years from now? I cant believe I have to spend another $3-5K on replacing a tank that should be good for 8-10 years. Of course Shelby wont do anything about it and fuel safe wont becuase shelby built the tank with their guts in it so they point the finger at shelby. (they also have a defective tank in that they built the fuel pickup in a way that my gas gauge will never work right instead of putting a old fashioned float in teh tank like everyone else

On a completely unrelated note, I will have to end up replacing hte carpet eventually as wel becuase the way shelby glued it down wont stay and despite 3 or 4 times of reglueing the carpet isnt cut right for the car so I have an ugly gap between carpet and body. If it wasnt worth half of what I paid for it I would sell this piece of crap and buy a kirkham in a heartbeat

Ended up buying a new tank from Mickmate to replace the defective one Shelby put in. Anyone that has a csx better be checking thier fuel filters for signs of the foam breaking down. It turns out as little as 3 years ago shelby built thier own tanks and used someone else's foam and bladder(to save money I am sure) but mine is only 3 years old and breaking down badly. They now use a different tank but if your csx is more than 2 years old, you have a faulty tank that will require you replacing the flaom every 3-5 years, particulary now with ethanol in the gasoline.

Ron

I am surprised we have not heard more about this problem before now. I am wondering if and when 4990 is going to have this problem. Anyway, keep us up to date about your new tank. Mickmate is a great guy with great products!

I have since talked to several people who have had to replaced theirs within 3 years and mine only has 1700 miles on it over 3 years. I would for sure recommend checking your fuel filter at about the 2-3 yr mark for bits of foam. Mickmate's tank has internal baffling but without the foam. Was a bargain compared to how much they charge just to replace the foam. There have been a lot of things on my CSX that were not up to the build quality I expected out of a $120K car.

My carpet behind the seats has been reglues 4 or 5 times and wont stay becuase they cut it too short and didnt form it correctly. I would never recommend anyone buy a csx as they can get twice the car for the same money form Kirkham.

I am surprised we have not heard more about this problem before now. I am wondering if and when 4990 is going to have this problem. Anyway, keep us up to date about your new tank. Mickmate is a great guy with great products!

• 3 months later...

I have since talked to several people who have had to replaced theirs within 3 years and mine only has 1700 miles on it over 3 years. I would for sure recommend checking your fuel filter at about the 2-3 yr mark for bits of foam. Mickmate's tank has internal baffling but without the foam. Was a bargain compared to how much they charge just to replace the foam. There have been a lot of things on my CSX that were not up to the build quality I expected out of a $120K car.

My carpet behind the seats has been reglues 4 or 5 times and wont stay becuase they cut it too short and didnt form it correctly. I would never recommend anyone buy a csx as they can get twice the car for the same money form Kirkham.

I just joined the forum and own CSX4829 from new and had to change the bladder in mine a little over 2 yrs. ago. I also have a twm 8 stack on mine and it's an all aluminum 482 shelby block. I had nothing but trouble with mine getting it to run right also, but that's another story in itself. Fast forward to last week and I go out to my garage and there's a huge puddle under my car. I push the car out of the garage and drive over to my dealer who thought it was the cork gasket on the sending unit. He replaced it and noticed some seepage the following day. He pressurized the tank and it started and the flood gates opened! He just removed bladder number 2 and it's in really bad deteriorated shape. We are thinking it's the ethanol in the gas which is currently 10% and is going up to 15% (85). We also speculate the fuel injection pressurizes the bladder and makes it fail even quicker. The bottom line is, this is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and a huge safety hazard! Every 4000 series CSX is a potential time bomb and the word has to get out and this has to be addressed.

I just joined the forum and own CSX4829 from new and had to change the bladder in mine a little over 2 yrs. ago. I also have a twm 8 stack on mine and it's an all aluminum 482 shelby block. I had nothing but trouble with mine getting it to run right also, but that's another story in itself. Fast forward to last week and I go out to my garage and there's a huge puddle under my car. I push the car out of the garage and drive over to my dealer who thought it was the cork gasket on the sending unit. He replaced it and noticed some seepage the following day. He pressurized the tank and it started and the flood gates opened! He just removed bladder number 2 and it's in really bad deteriorated shape. We are thinking it's the ethanol in the gas which is currently 10% and is going up to 15% (85). We also speculate the fuel injection pressurizes the bladder and makes it fail even quicker. The bottom line is, this is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and a huge safety hazard! Every 4000 series CSX is a potential time bomb and the word has to get out and this has to be addressed.

:headscratch: Not sure how this is Shelby's fault, they didn't tell you to use crap gas in your car. I guess you can play the ignorance card, and that would put the blame on your engine builder for not telling you that crap ethanol gas will trash your motor, and tank. I thought that it was pretty much common knowledge.

Oh yeah, welcome to Team Shelby, but there is no need for you to come in here and talk the crap you just did.

:headscratch: Not sure how this is Shelby's fault, they didn't tell you to use crap gas in your car. I guess you can play the ignorance card, and that would put the blame on your engine builder for not telling you that crap ethanol gas will trash your motor, and tank. I thought that it was pretty much common knowledge.

Oh yeah, welcome to Team Shelby, but there is no need for you to come in here and talk the crap you just did.

My engine was specifically built to run on pump gas with ethanol so I wouldn't have to worry about finding a gas station when traveling. The engine not running right had nothing to do with the gas and everything to do with the 8 stack, and dialing it in, so who's playing the ignorance card here? There is no damage to my engine, nor did I say there was. Ethanol in fact affects carbureted engines more than those that are injected. It's another way to get all the vintage cars off the road! I agree that ethanol is crap gas, but that's ALL that's available unless you put CAM 2 gas in and then good luck on finding a station. The bladder failing twice in 2 yrs. has nothing to do with my engine builder and everything to do with the bladder itself. The fact that you can't put pump gas in it, is totally absurd! I'm not on this forum to talk "crap" as you say, but am looking for answers and remedies and your reply does neither. If you read this thread I replied to; it is bashing Shelby on several levels even down to the carpets, along with Roush. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, or bash Shelby, but am simply stating my experience and the need to take a hard look at this potential problem with bladders failing...

My engine was specifically built to run on pump gas with ethanol so I wouldn't have to worry about finding a gas station when traveling. The engine not running right had nothing to do with the gas and everything to do with the 8 stack, and dialing it in, so who's playing the ignorance card here? There is no damage to my engine, nor did I say there was. Ethanol in fact affects carbureted engines more than those that are injected. It's another way to get all the vintage cars off the road! I agree that ethanol is crap gas, but that's ALL that's available unless you put CAM 2 gas in and then good luck on finding a station. The bladder failing twice in 2 yrs. has nothing to do with my engine builder and everything to do with the bladder itself. The fact that you can't put pump gas in it, is totally absurd! I'm not on this forum to talk "crap" as you say, but am looking for answers and remedies and your reply does neither. If you read this thread I replied to; it is bashing Shelby on several levels even down to the carpets, along with Roush. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, or bash Shelby, but am simply stating my experience and the need to take a hard look at this potential problem with bladders failing...

• 1 year later...

SEMA and SAN is working hard to stop the mandating of 15% ethanol. The stuff is abrasive, corrosive, hygroscopic and a real nuisance to us. Join SEMA for free and write your Senators about what you think of the garbage fuel they are using to try and keep old cars off the road. I have recently been converting cells to tanks to save even more money. I baffle the tanks, put traps around the pickups, replace rubber (yes rubber) fuel pickup tubes with metal ones, relocate the fuel senders to a real working position on the 24's. I have done newish ones and just did an old one with some great patina. https://www.facebook.com/actoncustom?ref=hl

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Start with checking float levels at carb and if it's center hung floats. I have fixed a few tanks that were starving, especially under acceleration which makes sense with these beasts. I have been putting a fuel trap around the pickups to keep the fuel there under acceleration and cornering. The last couple of tanks I did I have used a spark suppression in them that the military loves for combat vehicles. As well as the spark suppresion it baffles the tank, displaces very little volume and will outlast the tank. I am installing it in 3 more tanks right now.

Archived