TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ordered up some Pype-Bombs!

on a side note, i see you have the brenspeed tune, how do you like it?

Jason

I have been running the 91 tune and it seems to really wake the car up. It is a noticeable seat of the pants increase in power. IMO it is money well spent.

If you get the Pype Bombs before I do let us know how the install goes.

update, the fit was apparently too loose on the pass side, the clamp slipped every time I drove it, even after hitting it with an impact... not sure if it's the clamp, or if the pipe doesn't give enough, so had to put a tack weld on them to keep them positioned correctly... no big deal, but figured it was worth mentioning for the next person that wants a set...

• 2 weeks later...

I love the sound of these. Just put mine on today! In my opinion they sound is louder and deeper but still refined and not obnoxious, Just what this car needed.

Since you've already been under the car, can you remember if the hanger design is "rubber and steel" or "all rubber".

I ask because according to American Muscle "Sometime in 2007, Ford changed the style of exhaust hangers used to install the stock exhaust on the 2007 S197 Mustangs. They switched from a "rubber and steel" hanger design to an "all rubber" hanger, which will not work correctly with the after-market cat-back exhaust systems on the market today." Otherwise you have to buy a $60 hanger kit.... Thanks

BTW... here is another comparison video.

Frank

Mine was rubber and steel... but I can't really imagine a situation where a diff style hanger could work for the stock exhaust but not these aftermarket ones, the part that slides into the hangar is the same either way... Maybe there are hangars further forward that it would make a difference, but the axle backs should be fine either way.

Mine was rubber and steel... but I can't really imagine a situation where a diff style hanger could work for the stock exhaust but not these aftermarket ones, the part that slides into the hangar is the same either way... Maybe there are hangars further forward that it would make a difference, but the axle backs should be fine either way.

Sweet. I just don't want to dump out any more cash then I have to.

I wonder if there will there be any issues when it comes time for an emission check? Since it is a muffler delete? :headscratch:

Since you've already been under the car, can you remember if the hanger design is "rubber and steel" or "all rubber".

I ask because according to American Muscle "Sometime in 2007, Ford changed the style of exhaust hangers used to install the stock exhaust on the 2007 S197 Mustangs. They switched from a "rubber and steel" hanger design to an "all rubber" hanger, which will not work correctly with the after-market cat-back exhaust systems on the market today." Otherwise you have to buy a $60 hanger kit.... Thanks

BTW... here is another comparison video.

Frank

They are steel and rubber. I ordered the hanger kit that they suggested and it was basically the same hanger, just stainless steel. I'm going to send them back. The left and the right side front hangers are different. They didn't tell me that so I didn't have everything I needed anyway. There are some problems with the fit... at least on my set. The inlet seems to be a little too big and does not fit tightly enough on the exhaust pipe. I had to take it to a muffler shop and they had to work with it a bit and tighten the clamp as much as possible to make them seal off and not move around. also one of mine sticks out a little further than the other, so I have to get that worked on also. The muffle shop guy did not like them at all as far as the fit; he said they were made all wrong. He wanted to sell me some SLP loudmouths which appear to be almost the same as these. I like these and will work on them a little more to get them right - but it is going to take more work than I thought. At least this is that case with the set that I got; other may be different. I still like the looks and the sound though.

I almost think (in retrospect) that the clamps may not be able to tighten enough, not the pipes are too big... those clamps have a spacer in them to prevent overtightening, and I wonder if we'd have had better luck using the original exaust clamps... if that's not the issue, I would think adding another slot/releif or two on the inlets would have allowed them to tighten down enough.... only one side was an issue for me though, so who knows... I just had the muffler shop tack weld it after tightening the clamp as far as it would go, and so far it's been perfect with no issues.

as far as length, you need to use a pair of vice grips to twist the little nubs that serve as guides for the original tailpipes off in order for them to slide in far enough to match on both sides. They could have been designed a little better for sure, but we did get the first runs of these and the price is simply unbeatable.

I almost think (in retrospect) that the clamps may not be able to tighten enough, not the pipes are too big... those clamps have a spacer in them to prevent overtightening, and I wonder if we'd have had better luck using the original exaust clamps... if that's not the issue, I would think adding another slot/releif or two on the inlets would have allowed them to tighten down enough.... only one side was an issue for me though, so who knows... I just had the muffler shop tack weld it after tightening the clamp as far as it would go, and so far it's been perfect with no issues.

as far as length, you need to use a pair of vice grips to twist the little nubs that serve as guides for the original tailpipes off in order for them to slide in far enough to match on both sides. They could have been designed a little better for sure, but we did get the first runs of these and the price is simply unbeatable.

We worked with them for quite a while, the main issue was the pipe clamp and the diameter of the pipe. We did about everything you said. The factory clamps are the same, we slotted the pipe to try and make it sinch up, instead of cutting off the nubs we cut a slot around them so that they would push up a little further. We tried a u-bolt style muffler clamp and it would not fit the diameter of the pipe. They said that the best thing to use would be a band clamp such as this one, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-89-702500/ and then there would not be issues with the pipe diameters. The main one that was an issue for us as far as getting the pipe clam tight was the drivers side. The muffler shop pointed out that the passenger side was in a bind because the bind was slightly off. I agree, the price is unbeatable and I love the looks and the sound, they just take a little custom work to get them installed - at least in my case.

Sounds like they've got some quality control bugs to work out, my driver side fit perfect, it was the pass side that was "loose"...

I LOVE your Terlingua by the way, I literally stop and just look at that picture every time you post something... perfect color combo, perfect decal layout, black qtr window covers, even the front caliper tying into the rear lettering just rocks.

They are in and I am very happy with the sound. It's a deeper and more aggressive tone without being over bearing. Perfect and affordable. First time working with exhaust but everyones input gave me the motivation.

Thanks

Frank :shift:

They are in and I am very happy with the sound. It's a deeper and more aggressive tone without being over bearing. Perfect and affordable. First time working with exhaust but everyones input gave me the motivation.

Thanks

Frank :shift:

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :peelout:

Archived