TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Raceskinz Rear Seat Delete

Well, it was a long journey, but the Raceskinz rear seat seat delete kit (with "style bar", but herewith now known as a rollbar so as not to hurt my feelings) is in my SGT.

A long-time fan of the 1965 and 1966 GT-350s, I have always wante to strengthen the connection that already exists in our '07 and '08 SGTs. I've already done some of that with my black mesh upper grille by Shelby and the flush, quarter window louvers by Silver Horse (I toyed with the idea of the blank-over plate-look, but the "gills" won out).

With the '65 GT-350 look in mind, I really coveted the Raceskinz rear seat delete kit, but couldn't quite justify their heavy-duty price tag. However, right after Thanksgiving last year, a kind poster here tipped me off to a super-sale of Raceskinz stuff by Champion Mustang of Texas. A one-shot, short-time sale, it brought me within a reasonable price range and I was in. The kit took a looong time to receive...which kinda screwed up my previously arranged time slot with my local installer. When a new slot became available, I jumped on it....and for my troubles, wound up driving my rear-seatless SGT home from the shop in a 12" snow storm, and delirious with 103 degree flu-induced fever! But all's well that ends well, so here are some pics:

As you folks who own black SGTs know, the interior is a virtual black hole, sucking up all available light! I've had to lighten some of these photos and/or use flash, hence the appearance of contrasting black hues. It's not so in real life.....it's still an all black hole, with minimal color difference.

Here's the driver's side, with a bit more of the rollbar:

LeftSideRollbar.jpg

And the passenger side.

RightSide.jpg

The center storage hatch is secured by the same billet hood pin sets you're all familiar with. I forgot, darn it, to take a photo of the interior. But it is prety small...I can get my running bag in there, but have to smoosh it down to fit. Also, anything small and loose placed in there is apt to go missing on you, as there are all kinds of nooks and crannies in the unfinished interior.

Center-1.jpg

And the trunk. I had thought that since I now had a real spare, I'd buy a jack and stuff to actually use if it if required. Dream on! There ain't no room for anything 'ceptin the tire and maybe a hankie! I guess it's prudent to leave the tie-down strap in place for everyday use, but I'll tuck it beneath the tire when showing the car.

SpareTrunk.jpg

I love it!!

The installation took the better part of two days. It should have been less, but Raceskinz "forgot" to include the instructions with the kit. While they are nice folks and were very cooperative in verbally relaying instructions by phone....I was paying my local guy by the hour!!

I forgot to add this photo to the original post - it's the plaque that fits on the front of the new package shelf. They offer two choices: one that says "Shelby GT" and another that has an engraving of The Man's signature. While I ordered the Shelby GT plaque, Raceskinz apparently thought the signature plaque was a better choice for me. :banghead:

To be honest, it was probably one of those rare mistakes that worked out for the better. In retrospect, my Mustang proclaims "Shelby GT" so many times, this is a better fit.

Once again, lighting was a problem, but I think you can get the idea.......

ShelfNameplateCS.jpg

It looks great. This is something I'd like to do in 10 years after my little one is off to college.

Of course, then I'll have to pay for college.... :hysterical:

i love the look of this kit but the price is keeping me away.

Very nice - this was my first choice but because of the price I ended up going witht the two tone leather seat upgrade instead.

Kvin

It looks great!!!

Is there any weight savings with this kit?

Laurence

No. In fact, I am sure you would have a definite net weight gain. I suppose if you eliminated the rollbar option and chose not to install the spare, you might almost break even.

If you are after weight savings for performance purposes, one of the widely available rear seat delete kits would be a better bet and far more economical.

The kit looks absolutely killer....except that tie down strap. Is that really what they send with the kit? A $10 motorcycle strap? There's GOT to be a cleaner way to keep that spare in place.

Otherwise, it really does look awesome. Nice work.

Ken

The kit looks absolutely killer....except that tie down strap. Is that really what they send with the kit? A $10 motorcycle strap? There's GOT to be a cleaner way to keep that spare in place.

Ken

Ken,

I couldn't agree more. A piece of all thread with a wing nut through the center of the wheel is kind of a no brainer. That strap is just weak. I thought I saw a version with a recessed area for the tire to drop in to. But maybe that was my mind wondering or just redesigning this in my head???? I think the package is awesome, but I refuse to pay the price.

Oh by the way Ken, what's the ETA on the motor?

Ken,

I couldn't agree more. A piece of all thread with a wing nut through the center of the wheel is kind of a no brainer. That strap is just weak. I thought I saw a version with a recessed area for the tire to drop in to. But maybe that was my mind wondering or just redesigning this in my head???? I think the package is awesome, but I refuse to pay the price.

Oh by the way Ken, what's the ETA on the motor?

Hey Dave, look again man, I think that this kit does have a recess in the trunk area for that spare. That was part of the kit that I originally really liked a lot too.

Anyway, my engine will be up and running any day now honestly. Just waiting on the replacement cams to arrive so I can run them to my builder to install in my freshly built heads and I'm all done! :shift:

Ken

Concur on the strap, Ken. As my wife would say, "Cheesy to the max"!.

I'm thinking of perhaps a knock-off/spinner deal as a hold down, threaded onto rod secured to the original anchor point in the trunk. (At least I think there must have been an anchor point down there; never having had an SGT spare, I can't recall). I also vaguely recall my local installer saying that there is a support bar across the bottom of the Raceskinz spare well, which makes sense in order to carry the weight of the wheel and tire.

I'll have to hump the spare out this weekend an see what the access is to the original spare well and/or that suppoert bar.

Thanks to all for the ideas and nice words.

Kevin

If you have pics of the pieces that went into the trunk to "build" that part of the setup, I'd love to see some better detail, It doesn't look like buying just that is an option, and I might try and fabricate my own to get that sunken in tire look...

Do you know if the subwoofer setups will still fit w/ that floor/trunk kit?

If you have pics of the pieces that went into the trunk to "build" that part of the setup, I'd love to see some better detail, It doesn't look like buying just that is an option, and I might try and fabricate my own to get that sunken in tire look...

Do you know if the subwoofer setups will still fit w/ that floor/trunk kit?

Sorry, no assembly photos. It was actually my intent to take a bunch as it went together and I selected the installer not only 'cause he's good, but also because he is just a few miles from my place of business. I figured I'd be able to stop by a few times as he did the install to "supervise" and actually see how it was constructed. With my best laid plans in place......I came down with a killer case of the flu the night before I dropped it off. I was sick as a dog for three days and never saw the car again until the job was done.

Regards the sub-woofer...I guess that is the Shaker 1000 unit? Raceskinz somehow does make accomodations for it, since that is one of their check-offs when you order the kit; I have the 500.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Sorry, no assembly photos. It was actually my intent to take a bunch as it went together and I selected the installer not only 'cause he's good, but also because he is just a few miles from my place of business. I figured I'd be able to stop by a few times as he did the install to "supervise" and actually see how it was constructed. With my best laid plans in place......I came down with a killer case of the flu the night before I dropped it off. I was sick as a dog for three days and never saw the car again until the job was done.

Regards the sub-woofer...I guess that is the Shaker 1000 unit? Raceskinz somehow does make accomodations for it, since that is one of their check-offs when you order the kit; I have the 500.

Kevin

We have a Mod for the Kicker System, but I am willing to modify a kit for you

Archived