TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT/SC is back from SAI

springer

I received my GT/SC back from Las Vegas a few weeks ago, and due to the weather here in Dallas, I haven't had much time to drive it until today.

I had an issue the first day I drove it with the belt blowing off, but I think it's cured now with the installation of the Thump RRR tensioner and 90mm pulley set-up. I also found out that one of the idler pulleys was 90mm instead of the correct 100mm, which was quickly taken care of by Gary Davis with SAI.

Today, I drove down to the Cars and Coffee get-together in Dallas and met a couple of guys from the forum here and encouraged a couple others to stop by and see what the forum is all about. As far as the car goes, all I can say is...it goes. Thanks to all the guys here for their encouragement and support, and, if anyone here is thinking about the Whipple GT/SC conversion, stop thinking and go for it. The fun factor is unbelievable and the car is a blast to drive. Attached is a pic from the Cars and Coffee today, with a little background noise reduction with the help of Paint Shop Pro. :happy feet:

post-26281-12679387599_thumb.jpg

post-26281-126793999633_thumb.jpg

post-26281-12679387599_thumb.jpg

post-26281-126793999633_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone. The car is running well now. I believe the extra slack in the drive belt, due to one of the idler pulleys being too small, helped shred the belt on my first drive due to the additional "slop" in the system.

Looks nice. Hope you don't have any more problems.

Did you have the valve(cam) covers replaced at the same time too? I want to do my covers, but I think I will get them done in Vista Blue to match my fender stripes. Everybody has the factory Ford blue it seems like. I just want to be a little different I guess... :hysterical:

Dan

Looks nice. Hope you don't have any more problems.

Did you have the valve(cam) covers replaced at the same time too? I want to do my covers, but I think I will get them done in Vista Blue to match my fender stripes. Everybody has the factory Ford blue it seems like. I just want to be a little different I guess... :hysterical:

Dan

The Hot Rod 4.6L engine comes with the blue cam covers from FRPP. They are an improvement over the originals.

I'll have to look into one of those tensioners, I shredded my belt in the first week. The stock tensioner actually looks bent. Did you get the 100mm pulley on the tensioner or was there another one that was incorrect?

Thyats what happens to the stock ones most of the time Keep an eye out for any misalignment and carry a spare belt 1/2 breaker bar and 3/4 socket its cheaper than a tow truck!!

I'll have to look into one of those tensioners, I shredded my belt in the first week. The stock tensioner actually looks bent. Did you get the 100mm pulley on the tensioner or was there another one that was incorrect?

I went with the 90mm pulley on the tensioner, which is what Whipple recommends. Make sure you specify that when you order it, or it could end up being a 76mm which is the stock tensioner pulley size for non-supercharged Mustangs. Check your top idler pulley on the driver's side and make sure it is 100mm, as per the Whipple instruction manual. (Mine was the stock, Ford 90mm idler which was not changed during installation.) If it is a 90mm, you will have about 1/2 inch additional slack, which does not help the belt stay on under load.

If you have any other concerns send me a PM with a phone number.

John

Thyats what happens to the stock ones most of the time Keep an eye out for any misalignment and carry a spare belt 1/2 breaker bar and 3/4 socket its cheaper than a tow truck!!

I also carry the stock belt just in case, you can get it home if need be.

I went with the 90mm pulley on the tensioner, which is what Whipple recommends. Make sure you specify that when you order it, or it could end up being a 76mm which is the stock tensioner pulley size for non-supercharged Mustangs. Check your top idler pulley on the driver's side and make sure it is 100mm, as per the Whipple instruction manual. (Mine was the stock, Ford 90mm idler which was not changed during installation.) If it is a 90mm, you will have about 1/2 inch additional slack, which does not help the belt stay on under load.

If you have any other concerns send me a PM with a phone number.

John

Thanks, thats a help. I guess I better get my income taxes done so I can afford it! You would think that for the money we spend getting these cars SC'd this would have been taken care of.

Archived