TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Top Speed and speed limiter

CSY

Hi TS members,

I'm just curious what the top speed of the 2010 GT500 is without the speed limiter? I'v seen different numbers of 170 - 180 mph. Also, is it hard to turn off the speed limiter? I read that it is difficuilt to do.

I have no intentions of doing this, just curious.

Mine is Grabber Blue/white stripes.

I'm not sure about 200+ MPH even getting to 200 depends on the aerodynamics of the car. The the 2010 Shelby has had a lot more refinement them most Mustangs in in terms of Aero but not sure it could push thru the air enough to go that fast, but hey I could always be wrong. Look at something like the ZO6 and ZR-1 and see what their drag coefficent is compared to the Shelby.

I'm not sure about 200+ MPH even getting to 200 depends on the aerodynamics of the car. The the 2010 Shelby has had a lot more refinement them most Mustangs in in terms of Aero but not sure it could push thru the air enough to go that fast, but hey I could always be wrong. Look at something like the ZO6 and ZR-1 and see what their drag coefficent is compared to the Shelby.

I've read somewhere they got the 2010 up to 193

I can't imagine a stock GT500 even getting close to 200 mph. The cars areodynamics would require a lot more hp.

I have no personal experience, but I bet a stock GT500 tops out in the 170's (without the limiter).

KEB

I have a friend with a 2010 that has just a simple tune and limiter taken off. We were got up to the mid-180's and it might have been able to keep going a bit more. That was with both of us in the car on a country highway. It passed 170 pretty easily.

I have a friend with a 2010 that has just a simple tune and limiter taken off. We were got up to the mid-180's and it might have been able to keep going a bit more. That was with both of us in the car on a country highway. It passed 170 pretty easily.

Indicated with a GPS or with the OE speedometer?

There is a *big* difference. One I believe, the other........not so much.

Phill Pollard

My 2010 tops out at 160 to 165 and then the limiter starts banging. That was in 5th ( 6th ) is useless. I would not want to go any faster because the car might take flight! It was feeling mighty light at 160. Be careful, cuz alot can happen at those speeds and you are sure to be a goner if you lose it! The fastest I have ever driven was 194 in my Ford GT. I was shaking for a couple of hours after that!I know that car could have hit 200 but I ran out of road. Ford put a limiter on the Shelby for a reason! denohew

Ford put a limiter on the Shelby for a reason! denohew

Yeah, so you don't overdrive the tires speed rating and sue the snot out of FoMoCo for putting a 'unsafe' vehicle on the road when the tire/s shred.

Phill Pollard

Indicated with a GPS or with the OE speedometer?

There is a *big* difference. One I believe, the other........not so much.

Phill Pollard

I was thinking the same thing.

He was probably was using a big 0-200 mph speedo just taped on the dash.

Or he might of gone down to wally world and bought one of thoes new fancy GPS for $69 :D

I spoke with my friend and found out that he actually had heavily modified his car. I do not endorse any excessive speeding at all. Mostly for the safety of other drivers. I agree that Ford does put limiters on their cars for a reason! If you can find your way to a controlled environment of a track and have a car that is modified accordingly then drive it like you stole it. Around town, I drive mine like an old man. I let the car's good looks make Camaros and Challengers sad.

Archived