TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just pulled the trigger on some Baer brakes !

WOOOHOOOO!

Just ordered my Baer/Shelby gt-plus system w/ the rear rotor kit too....

PBBS-4261111-2.jpgPBBS-2262019-2.jpg

Picked up a set of camber bolts too, can't wait to tear it apart and install it all now!

Think I'll be good with normal brake fluid since it won't see the track?

No, they won't fit the stock 18's based on the template, but i do plan to try since I have them.... I will let you know... I'm using 20" bullitt style rims as pictured in my sig, they would have cleared the pro-plus setup too, but I don't think I need that much brake...

As far as burning up on the track... can you elaborate? I know that the pads aren't for track use, and that I would need high temp fluid, but otherwise, what would be bad about this? Seems as if a lot of people use the stock size decelarotors w/ Hawk pads and high temp fluid on the track with good results, and these rotors are the same as come with the extreme calipers, so I have to think the only weak link is street pads and fluid really... is that wrong?

WOOOHOOOO!

Just ordered my Baer/Shelby gt-plus system w/ the rear rotor kit too....

PBBS-4261111-2.jpgPBBS-2262019-2.jpg

Picked up a set of camber bolts too, can't wait to tear it apart and install it all now!

Think I'll be good with normal brake fluid since it won't see the track?

You are going to love it I did it to my 07 SGT and it made a big defference I did not run mine on the track either.

With proper supporting mods, e.g. Brake lines, high temp fluid, and cooling ducts that kit should be more then sufficient. Not to take away from the greatness that is the extreme set-ups, but we haven't heard anyone speak of the unsprung weight these kits add. I don't know what the numbers are in compairson to the stock vs. the GT-Plus, vs. Extreme, vs. etc, etc. But I beleive there is a point where you have more brake then is needed and you begin to see deminishing returns on both performance and bang for the buck. I know guys using the Cobra PBR brakes from the New Edge SN95 Mustangs with steal lines, hawk pads, smooth decelarotors, and sufficent cooling on their track only rides and never run out of brake (read premature fade). Does that mean they couldn't find better? No, it simply means that they found their balance.

Considering few if any of us will see track time greater the :30 to :45 in a single run and more than 5 runs in any given day the GT-plus kit should be more then sufficent.

• 2 weeks later...

It's like christmas again!!!!!! the brakes all showed up today, I can't believe how MASSIVE the rotors look in person, the fronts especially, they are super thick and real substantial peices of equipment! Heavier than I expected, but I've yet to remove the stockers, so maybe they aren't that much heavier... The rears are much lighter, and much thinner, but even they just look giant in person...

Planning on installing it all this Saturday! :happy feet:

On a side note, it's amazing to me that my rotors on the shelby are the same diameter as the rims on my '68.... crazy how things change over the years!

Looks great and will be a nice addition to your car. I have the exact same set up that are going on my car after new 20" CS66 are mounted. Hope to have everything installed by Shelbyfest. I don't track my car either so I'm not worried about not having enough brake. Post some pics after they're installed.

Dave

I guess my comment was harsh that you would fry them up on the track.

Yes you will need stainless lines and Yes you will need race pads and yes you will need high temp fluid and then those will be great for the track.

If you take them on the track as they are then Yes you will fry them up pretty fast.

Got them all installed this weekend, pretty easy swap all in all... can't wait to finish seasoning the rotors to see what it will do now! I'm really wishing I would have taken a minute to try and baseline the factory stopping distance somehow though first... I was definitely impressed about how much larger the corvette front pads are compared to the stock pads, at least 2" longer!

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

Got them all installed this weekend, pretty easy swap all in all... can't wait to finish seasoning the rotors to see what it will do now! I'm really wishing I would have taken a minute to try and baseline the factory stopping distance somehow though first... I was definitely impressed about how much larger the corvette front pads are compared to the stock pads, at least 2" longer!

[

Looks awesome! Nice job.

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

Wow... a beautiful car, but you've inspired me to ask two questions.

First the dumb one - If you don't go to the track, what's the advantage of the brakes beyond looking cool...which they do.

Second question--tell me about those wheels...i'd like them for my black SGT

1st, honestly, mostly looking cool, but compared to most sports cars, our cars braking distance is pretty shitty in my opinion... in a nutshell, if a kid/deer/car/other is all of a sudden in front of my car, I wanted a little better shot at stopping in time...

2nd, here's a link to the wheels...

bullitt style 20's

I had the center caps custom made for mine though, they will likely ship with plain black ones, but the upside was that they come as two peices, so it's an ideal time to have any emblem design made that you'd like and stick them to the snap in part of the center cap... or even just put a decal emblem on the plain black one that ships if you want...

Looks killer!

I looked at buying wheels from the same place. The price seemed too go to be true. I did some research on the web and found a lot of negative comments about the quality of the wheels (basically there were claims that the wheel where blims and where often warped). Have you had any issues or concerns with them?

I'm not trying to bad mouth this website, I'm just curious if they sale a quality product. If so they are a great find.

Thanks,

J-

I'm very happy with them, especially for the price, greaser has the same wheels on his for quite a while now too... they balanced out fine, and the guys that mounted tires for me knew to check for any bad runout too, and they are true... hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, just went thru the rest of the seasoning/bedding process after putting about 700 easy miles on the car... followed the directions to the letter, could smell the brakes at the end of the 2nd round of 10 stops (aggressive "street" stops) and even thought I saw a bit of smoke from them... I gotta assume this is why these are NOT track pads lol... they didn't seem to fade, but I have to assume another couple stops and they would have... then drove 10 minutes to cool, and hit them hard (almost locking up) 10 times in a row.... I expected to smell them again, but nothing... it SEEMS to stop pretty f-ing good! drove another 20 minutes to cool per instructions, and managed to get it home and parked without touching the brakes again... hit them with the laser temp guage and they were already down to 60 degrees... I guess I expected them to be warm still since it says to let them cool overnight now, so that was a little surprising... I wish I could have gotten a temp reading when they were smelling good!

Plan to take another spin tomorrow sometime and see exactly how good they really are... :)

• 1 year later...

Good thing your car will not be seeing the track cause this setup will fry up very fast on the track.

I know this is an old post, but it goes along with a number of other posts I've seen regarding brakes and the track.

I was a bit concerned with my setup on the track, and figured that I'd be further upgrading in short order. However, our car has seen a couple of HPDE events and an autocross since we picked it up over the winter.

Our 3460 lb (wet) car has the Shelby Baer GT+ front kit (rotors, calipers, pads, SS lines) & Eradispeed +2 rear discs (stock calipers & pads). Running Motorcraft Dot 3 fluid.

After a 2 day NASA HPDE2 event on a 1.1 mile track, 5 laps on a 2.1 mile track, my wife running an HPDE1 event on a 2.1 mile track, and a 3rd place finish at the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup Autocross, the rotors are still in great shape, the pads have over 3/4 remaining, and there were NO brake fading issues at any of the events, including running in 95* air temps braking hard coming off a 120 mph straight into a hard turn-in, running 10-lap sessions over the course of 2 days.

I have found the Hawk pads and a hi temp fluid I want to upgrade to, but at this point, I have yet to find the NEED to upgrade the pads and fluid. I am very impressed with the performance of these brakes, and did not expect them to hold up & brake as well under those conditions. I am new to tracking this year, as I only had previous AutoX experience, so maybe if I were more experienced I'd be wanting better braking, but for the 2-day NASA HPDE2 event, I was running in the front of the pack right behind folks that are moving up to HPDE3 at the next outing. I was also able to run a big banked NASCAR turn faster (100mph) than everyone else I talked to in my group, that dumped into a short straight stretch running 120 mph, down to a hard right turn hitting that around 30-35 mph, so it's not like I was driving like a blue-hair and going easy on the brakes.

So basically, my take is that the Baer setup on our Shelby GTs holds up very well for occasional track duty. Full-on wheel to wheel racing I'm sure would be another story.

Archived