TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Protective tape for rear quarters...

MichaelP

Hi Everyone-

So I signed up for my first racing event April 17 in Cecil Maryland. I was talking to some of my club members and someone stated ALOT of rubber from tires will be deposited on rear quarters of my car. I dont mind the clean up but if there is a protective tape that can be applied before racing I'd like to hear everyone's opinions.

Some of the other racers suggested coating with Armor All on car and wheel wells...apparently makes clean up easier...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

M.

I have a friend that uses the blue painters tape you can get at any home improvement store. It's the type that can be left for a few days because it's low tack level and won't leave any residue. She's done this countless times and never had in issue with tape sticking casing harm. It does take a bit of time to lay out the tape but she only does her rear bumper to keep the rubber from being thrown on the paint. I'm not help on the tire well.

Good luck and let us know how you do. If it's your first time I say take it easy until you find out the grip of the track, your car makes more then enough power to smoke the tires just about all the way down the track and get yourself in trouble.

Have fun.

Yep, painters tape is it. The rubber from the track will build up some good undercoating inside the wheel wells.

Ok.. Thanks Everyone. I was at the track this weekend for Test and Tune and some of the guys had the blue painters tape on their cars.

M.

I would suggest spraying Pam or another non-stick cooking spray on the surrounding area that the tape won't cover including the wheel well..

Archived