TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Baer vs. Hawk HPS vs. other options for brake pads

OK, getting a little closer to ordering my new brakes, and the baer setups come with their pads for the front, but I'm not sure that I should get their pads for the rear, or go with the HPS pads, or if there's something else better out there....

NOT tracking the car, so while I don't want to negate the improved stopping power of the new stuff, its' a non-snow dailly driver, and I would prefer as low dust/noise output as possible....

Anybody try both? or have experience with either to share?

I was surprised that the HPS were cheaper than the baer pads since a lot of you guys seem to rave about them, but IF HPS is the answer for the rears, should I consider swapping the baer fronts for HPS right away too?

OK, getting a little closer to ordering my new brakes, and the baer setups come with their pads for the front, but I'm not sure that I should get their pads for the rear, or go with the HPS pads, or if there's something else better out there....

NOT tracking the car, so while I don't want to negate the improved stopping power of the new stuff, its' a non-snow dailly driver, and I would prefer as low dust/noise output as possible....

I was surprised that the HPS were cheaper than the baer pads since a lot of you guys seem to rave about them, but IF HPS is the answer for the rears, should I consider swapping the baer fronts for HPS right away too?

don't forget new SS brake lines

I've never used Baer pads, so I can't really comment on a comparison. However, HPS pads go in every one of my street cars. HP+ are suitable for the track only IMO.

Good luck.

Ken

• 9 months later...

Bringing this thread back.... the baer pads are a little squeeky, so thinking of going ahead and swapping to the HPS's while it's sitting waiting for good weather.

Also considering the EBC Redstuff, but figured I better put the question out there again to see if anybody has any other suggestions for a low dust, QUIET pad that still bites good!

You will all laugh at me for this one, but believe it or not, the Autozone C-Max pads work really, really well. 1/8th the brake dust of stock Shelby GT/GT500 pads, no noise, and a noticeable improvement over even 2K mile cars to the C-Max. Plus a lifetime warranty. Fine to for moderate road racing, but if you plan on 8+ laps and are hard on the brakes, you need a pad with a higher heat range. Alot of my friends and customers have these, maybe they will pipe in....and +1000 on braided steel brake lines...

Alex

Doesn't look like the C-Max's are available for c5 corvettes, which is what I need for the baer gt+ calipers up front...

I've seriously considered just getting just normal parts store replacement pads since it's really just a street car, but I don't want to end up going backwards in performance either

HPS pads go in every one of my street cars. HP+ are suitable for the track only IMO.

Good luck.

Ken

I have baer brakes CS6 Plus series in the front. I took the car to Tulsa 09 and within 2 day of tracking it. I fried out the pads and cracked both drilled and slotted rotors. Now I have only slotted baer rotors and only will use Hawk HP+ on the track and Hawk HPS on the street.

If your not going to track the car then the baers are fine for street use.

I have baer brakes CS6 Plus series in the front. I took the car to Tulsa 09 and within 2 day of tracking it. I fried out the pads and cracked both drilled and slotted rotors. Now I have only slotted baer rotors and only will use Hawk HP+ on the track and Hawk HPS on the street.

If your not going to track the car then the baers are fine for street use.

How are Hawk HPS for occasional track use?

There was a thread here long ago that was quite interesting regarding very high-performance pads and calipers.

Wish I could recall the particulars, but the thrust of it was that certain heavy-duty braking systems thrive on - and indeed require - high temperatures in order to work efficiently. In normal, every-day driving applications they were no better than, and possibly inferior to, less exotic sytems or even OEM stuff.

Not saying that this applies to any of the products discussed here, but worthy of consideration if you are outfitting your daily driver. Anybody recall that thread or have additional information?

Bringing this thread back.... the baer pads are a little squeeky, so thinking of going ahead and swapping to the HPS's while it's sitting waiting for good weather.

Also considering the EBC Redstuff, but figured I better put the question out there again to see if anybody has any other suggestions for a low dust, QUIET pad that still bites good!

I installed Steeda Stainless Brake lines, Baer Decelarotors and the Baer Sport Touring pads and have been really happy with them I had the center hat, outer edge and backside of the rotors powder coated black. The pads have been very quiet and very low dust which was one of my primary concerns since the OE pads were horrible dust wise. I think the brake lines made the most impact to the pedal feel which is much firmer and gives good feedback compared to the spongy feel before.

post-9569-0-47892900-1294102940_thumb.jpg

post-9569-0-47892900-1294102940_thumb.jpg

How are Hawk HPS for occasional track use?

I don't know I have never tried them on the track but on the street they are awesome. The HP+ work great well actually awesome on the track but on the street they are horrible becuase of the noise, dust and the fact they need to be hot in order to properly work.

Archived