TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Filter Magnets

69deluxe

Has anybody used any of these oil filter magnets? Seems like a good idea to remove harmful particulates especially during the first 3k miles.

1) JCWhitney: $19.99

2) Griots: $29.99-89.99

3) MagnaGuard: $59.76

Personally, I like the first two ideas since you can re-use them after the next oil change. Not sure I like the idea of shoving a magnet into the filter itself (MagnaGuard).

Has anybody used any of these oil filter magnets? Seems like a good idea to remove harmful particulates especially during the first 3k miles.

1) JCWhitney: $19.99

2) Griots: $29.99-89.99

3) MagnaGuard: $59.76

Personally, I like the first two ideas since you can re-use them after the next oil change. Not sure I like the idea of shoving a magnet into the filter itself (MagnaGuard).

Yes, 69, they work great, at least on an all terrain vehicle. You would not believe the build up on the insides of the filter. So I would imagine they would work just as good on a car. Yeah, I don't know if I would trust placing a loose magnet into the filter. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, 69, they work great, at least on an all terrain vehicle. You would not believe the build up on the insides of the filter. So I would imagine they would work just as good on a car. Yeah, I don't know if I would trust placing a loose magnet into the filter. Just my 2 cents.

They go on the "outside" of the filter. I have a FilterMag on my car. Don't know if it works, but what tha' heck for $40.

Well, suppose they will not hurt anything other than your wallet. They don't do much good either. Yes they attract metalic particles (some that are magnetic, aluminum is not) but any particle that is big enough to attract would have gotten caught in the filter media anyway, along with all the other non magnetic stuff. Today's synthetic media filters really are pretty good at what they do and a magnet does not do much to help.

They work well in the transmission as there is no filter, but there is already one on the drain plug.

I run a Filter Mag on the outside of the filter (it won't fall off I guarantee it) and I also use a magnetic oil drain plug which I bought off e-bay and works great.

The magnet on the oil drain plug is amazingly strong and it is tough to get it threaded after changing your oil because it will grab your oil pan and it simply won't let go.

It's worth the 9.99 and the piece of mind knowing that any small metallic particles will not be recirculated throughout your engine.

here's a link if you guys are interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNETIC-OI...1QQcmdZViewItem

I run a Filter Mag on the outside of the filter (it won't fall off I guarantee it) and I also use a magnetic oil drain plug which I bought off e-bay and works great.

The magnet on the oil drain plug is amazingly strong and it is tough to get it threaded after changing your oil because it will grab your oil pan and it simply won't let go.

It's worth the 9.99 and the piece of mind knowing that any small metallic particles will not be recirculated throughout your engine.

here's a link if you guys are interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNETIC-OI...1QQcmdZViewItem

I received two pm's asking if this magnetic oil drain plug fits the GT500... the anser is YES it does, it also fits the GT and GT/CS (not sure on the V-6 models, it should fit them too though).

Archived