TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Oil Change.

CobraKaz

I had 1500 miles on my car when I changed the oil and the info system said 3% life left. I was surprised with only 1500 miles on syn.oil. Used Ford's syn oil and a Ford Racing filter. The factory filter was a cheap piece of junk.

Just did the oil change . What PITA the filter location is . Arm was soaked in oil .

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning on changing oil at 500 miles then onto 3000 intervals,,How about Mobil1 5-50? What do you guys think?? And I didn't get the supplement to the owners manual, Dealer has ordered it, what is the part # for the oil filter? Is it the same as the 5.4 pick-up engine filter?

Thanks in advance,,she's only got 190 miles on her so far, in getting the windows tinted today.

I'm planning on changing oil at 500 miles then onto 3000 intervals,,How about Mobil1 5-50? What do you guys think?? And I didn't get the supplement to the owners manual, Dealer has ordered it, what is the part # for the oil filter? Is it the same as the 5.4 pick-up engine filter?

Thanks in she's only got 190 miles on her so far, in getting the windows tinted today.

Filter is FL820S,and the manual says to use motorcraft 5-50W B spec, 6 1/2 qts---- heres a link to Kman whowill ship all of it to you

http://k-mansparts.com/items/motorcraft-filters-/fluids/motorcraft-5w-50-full-synthetic-motor-oil-xo-5w50-qgt-quart-xo-5w50-qgt-detail.htm

Oil choice isa religius experince on this forum, but to me,if its all the same price,im sticking with whats in the manual

How does the Ford B spec. oil differ from a non B spec oil? I also have castrol 5w50 in the car because I was told it met the B spec. Just wanted to know for sure before putting 3000 miles on it. I thought it was kinda like the Extended Protection additives that are in Mobil 1 EP oil. That way it gives it some extra assurance to meet the recommended OCI mileage interval listed in the owners manual.

Thanks in advance,,she's only got 190 miles on her so far, in getting the windows tinted today.

Keep it simple and in line with what Ford recommends by going with the Motorcraft 5W50 Spec B oil - if you ever have a problem with the engine and used another oil they technically have leverage and you could out of luck. Not worth doing something like that in my book, not sure why you wouldn't want to use their recommended oil. IMO, one of the great things about getting a new car is a) you are the one who breaks it in properly and B) it has a warranty so you are not out any $$ while it is covered. Big piece of mind for me.

+ 1 it aint worth the risk--stick with Motorcraft 5-50W. The difference is in the amount of zinc phospahte in the oil---this chemical tends to wear out the catalytics so they reduced the amount in the B spec oil. For way older cars, like my 65GTO thats bad because of tippet wear in starup--so i have to add it to my oil

+ 1 it aint worth the risk--stick with Motorcraft 5-50W. The difference is in the amount of zinc phospahte in the oil---this chemical tends to wear out the catalytics so they reduced the amount in the B spec oil. For way older cars, like my 65GTO thats bad because of tippet wear in starup--so i have to add it to my oil

So in the newer cars , all it does is wear out the Cats ?

Castrol 5w/50 meets spec B on their MSDS. They just didn't print new bottles.

I have a bridge id like to sell you too--just kidding--like I said, oil selection is a very religius experience--Im agnostic on the subject, just go with the guy who makes the car at the same price for the oil--yes it just affects the cats--but they are under warranty as well.

I have a bridge id like to sell you too--just kidding--like I said, oil selection is a very religius experience--Im agnostic on the subject, just go with the guy who makes the car at the same price for the oil--yes it just affects the cats--but they are under warranty as well.

Would the car pick up any HP if the cats are burned out or will it throw a code .

Would the car pick up any HP if the cats are burned out or will it throw a code .

From what Ive read, the cat pellets will get all clumped together,and the back pressure will build so the car wont run.Id assume itd be gradual, and youd feel a lessening in HP.One of our petroleum TS members might be able to explian the chemical reacions

Keep it simple and in line with what Ford recommends by going with the Motorcraft 5W50 Spec B oil - if you ever have a problem with the engine and used another oil they technically have leverage and you could out of luck. Not worth doing something like that in my book, not sure why you wouldn't want to use their recommended oil. IMO, one of the great things about getting a new car is a) you are the one who breaks it in properly and B) it has a warranty so you are not out any $$ while it is covered. Big piece of mind for me.

Good call. The Ford Dealer closest to me had the Motorcraft oil, I picked up 7qts for $62. I found Castrol Syntec 5-50, but I've never been a big Castrol fan. My F-150 is four years old with 68,000 miles on it, it's never had anything but Motorcraft oil in it.

The link and the image will show Castrol has not updated their bottles...

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=6006933

765775348_fZ6aU-L-1.jpg

Good call. The Ford Dealer closest to me had the Motorcraft oil, I picked up 7qts for $62. I found Castrol Syntec 5-50, but I've never been a big Castrol fan. My F-150 is four years old with 68,000 miles on it, it's never had anything but Motorcraft oil in it.

For that price I'm guess it came with a jar of Vaseline?

Archived