TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NASA says our Days are Shorter thanks to Chile

THE END IS COMMIMG, THE END IS COMMING..................

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth

Nasa says our Days are now Shorter because of the Earthquake in Chile. I see a new Business Oppertunity........ "Global Timing". Think of the $Billions we can get from the Government because we say we can slow Time back to how it was................. :happy feet: :happy feet:

:hysterical:

Over the course of a year, the length of a day normally changes gradually by one millisecond. It increases in the winter, when the Earth rotates more slowly, and decreases in the summer, Gross has said in the past.

The problem with that statement is that it's only winter on half the earth at a time.

I'll sleep better now knowing that!

:doh:

The problem with that statement is that it's only winter on half the earth at a time.

Actually, it is less the half at a time. there is no Winter along the Equator is there?

I wondering how days can be shorter everywhere.... :headscratch: That would involve a much more serious issue!

Very poorly written article!

The shorter longer thing is best described (timely right now) as the "figure skater effect". While they are twirling, if they move their arms into their bodies, they spin faster. If they extend their arms, they spin slower. The earth does that as these faults concentrate mass downward into the earth and closer to the axis of rotation or uplift parts away from the axis causing minute changes in the spin rate i.e. length of days. I assume that the very confusing part about the "winter" being slightly slower than the "summer" has to do with the unequal distribution of land on the earth. Most of the land is in the Northern Hemisphere and when it is tilted away from the sun as in the northern hemisphere winter the mass of the earth, moon, sun, rotational system also slightly changes.

Very poorly written article!

The shorter longer thing is best described (timely right now) as the "figure skater effect". While they are twirling, if they move their arms into their bodies, they spin faster. If they extend their arms, they spin slower. The earth does that as these faults concentrate mass downward into the earth and closer to the axis of rotation or uplift parts away from the axis causing minute changes in the spin rate i.e. length of days. I assume that the very confusing part about the "winter" being slightly slower than the "summer" has to do with the unequal distribution of land on the earth. Most of the land is in the Northern Hemisphere and when it is tilted away from the sun as in the northern hemisphere winter the mass of the earth, moon, sun, rotational system also slightly changes.

Good explanation. My wife brought this up the other day and I didn't visualize it like that. I told her to call me if the Earth was going to break into pieces and fly towards the Sun other wise I wasn't going to be too concerned.

Having said all that - the difference the quake made is not even milliseconds, but microseconds. Something on the order of 1.3 microseconds. And this is only through calculation - as anything less than 5 microseconds is essentially undetectable.

In addition, it cancels out the change from the Banda Aceh earthquake (2004 Christmas Tsunami) which displaced mass in the opposite direction. As the crust changes, these small changes happen all the time. Mountain building in the Himalays has a much bigger effect although still extremely small as flyboy pointed out.

UH OH..... I just thought of something.............................how will the effect the "Day Light Savings Time".....................

hysterical.gif

You'll get to sleep 1.3 microseconds longer...ENJOY!!! happy%20feet.gif

John

Archived