TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hidden front plate install with pics

Just finished the first mod on my Shelby, trick little license plate holder that slides under the splitter to hide the front plate.

Altec is the manufacturer, here is one place (not recommending them, just a reference) that sells them for $50, I'm sure there are plenty of others who sell them too.

http://www.ninosport....Show=TechSpecs

Install took about 3 hours which included time to go to the hardware store to pick up some stainless hardware and some nylon spacers. I did not use any of the mounting hardware that came with the kit - I did use them on another car with a flush front fascia but the splitter on the Shelby required a different approach.

You have to remove the air splitter and the air dam behind it. Take those pieces off and set the dam to the side, you won't need to do anything with that.

Put the air splitter on a table or the floor.

Three bolts will secure the bracket to the splitter.

The bracket has a hole in the rear already but it is a bit off center so you have to enlarge that so the bolt can be in the middle to the splitter.

The two other holes are towards the front and will align with slots in the splitter. I went a little larger with my bolts and had to slightly enlarge the hole in the slot for the bolt.

The splitter's underside is concaved so you can't mount the bracket flush. This is where you need to use spacers, washers will work but I used nylon spacers.

After a bit of trial and error (R&D) I came up with the mix of hardware and spacers so the bracket would fit so the front of the bracket is flush with the bottom of the splitter without deforming.

The back edge of the bracket fits against the curved webbing on the that angles down in the rear of the splitter. The front of the bracket sticks out approx 3/4s of an inch in the front of the splitter.

Once I had the bracket mounted to the splitter hand tight I put the splitter up to trial fit it with a few bolts. First time I notice that I didn't have the spacers right and the splitter had deformed a bit from the bolts pulling it to the bracket.

Fixed that and put it up - everything fit so I reinstalled the air dam behind the splitter, then mounted and bolted up the splitter.

Mounted the license plate to the frame and that finished it up.

Clean and tight - a good, easy mod.

================================

Results with plate hidden.

gallery_27034_971_3293.jpg

Results with plate up.

gallery_27034_971_16964.jpg

Remove splitter and air dam.

gallery_27034_971_27060.jpg

Show N Go box contents - Didn't use any of the hardware provided.

gallery_27034_971_14980.jpg

Stainless hardware and nylon spacers - ended up using 3 spacers and no lock washers at bolt head end.

gallery_27034_971_10409.jpg

Top view after bracket was mounted to underside of splitter.

gallery_27034_971_17489.jpg

Side view of installed bracket.

gallery_27034_971_10702.jpg

Very nice finished install, I like how the plate sits pretty low to allow air in. The location is actually a great spot for someone that uses L brackets to hard mount a plate (non slide away). Nicely done, wonder if it's something I could do myself without breaking anything :headscratch::hysterical:

It was pretty straight forward but I did have a buddy there with me in case I needed a hand. It was good he was there at the end when I installed the splitter, it was useful to have an extra set of hands to help slide the clips on the top into the bottom of the fascia.

For now I'm going to roll the dice with the police here in MD. For the most part they have had better things to do. During the four years I owned my 05 GT I only got pulled over twice. Both warnings.

Just finished the first mod on my Shelby, trick little license plate holder that slides under the splitter to hide the front plate.

You have to remove the air splitter and the air dam behind it. Take those pieces off and set the dam to the side, you won't need to do anything with that.

Put the air splitter on a table or the floor.

Three bolts will secure the bracket to the splitter.

The bracket has a hole in the rear already but it is a bit off center so you have to enlarge that so the bolt can be in the middle to the splitter.

The two other holes are towards the front and will align with slots in the splitter. I went a little larger with my bolts and had to slightly enlarge the hole in the slot for the bolt.

The splitter's underside is concaved so you can't mount the bracket flush. This is where you need to use spacers, washers will work but I used nylon spacers.

After a bit of trial and error (R&D) I came up with the mix of hardware and spacers so the bracket would fit so the front of the bracket is flush with the bottom of the splitter without deforming.

The back edge of the bracket fits against the curved webbing on the that angles down in the rear of the splitter. The front of the bracket sticks out approx 3/4s of an inch in the front of the splitter.

Once I had the bracket mounted to the splitter hand tight I put the splitter up to trial fit it with a few bolts. First time I notice that I didn't have the spacers right and the splitter had deformed a bit from the bolts pulling it to the bracket.

Fixed that and put it up - everything fit so I reinstalled the air dam behind the splitter, then mounted and bolted up the splitter.

Mounted the license plate to the frame and that finished it up.

Clean and tight - a good, easy mod.

Wondering if there is an added benefit here that if you scrape a curb or parking barrier when parking, you'll scrape either the plate (when plate is hidden) or the underside of the bracket (when plate is displayed) instead of the much more expensive splitter!!!!

The bracket (via your link) is approximately $50 and if the plate is scraped up, who cares...

---------

Questions:

1) Does it rattle when you drive (in either position)?

2) When the plate is displayed does it rub against the front splitter, if so will it leave a scratch mark?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

Results with plate hidden.

gallery_27034_971_3293.jpg

Results with plate up.

gallery_27034_971_16964.jpg

Is it motorized or do you manually have to pull the plate in/out?

Phill

Wondering if there is an added benefit here that if you scrape a curb or parking barrier when parking, you'll scrape either the plate (when plate is hidden) or the underside of the bracket (when plate is displayed) instead of the much more expensive splitter!!!!

The bracket (via your link) is approximately $50 and if the plate is scraped up, who cares...

---------

Questions:

1) Does it rattle when you drive (in either position)?

2) When the plate is displayed does it rub against the front splitter, if so will it leave a scratch mark?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

I wouldn't want to scrape the plate or the splitter - the whole bracket holding the plate could get bent. No rattle and it does not rub on the splitter. In the up position, it stops against itself leaving about 1/2 an inch between the plate and the splitter. The kit also comes with foam rub strips that in some installations are useful - I've used them with another car that I put the Show N Go plate holder on.

I wouldn't want to scrape the plate or the splitter - the whole bracket holding the plate could get bent. No rattle and it does not rub on the splitter. In the up position, it stops against itself leaving about 1/2 an inch between the plate and the splitter. The kit also comes with foam rub strips that in some installations are useful - I've used them with another car that I put the Show N Go plate holder on.

"I wouldn't want to scrape the plate or the splitter"

In an ideal world, yes, but if given a choice I would prefer that the plate lose every time instead of the splitter!

Ah I see now what you mean about the 1/2 inch space, nicely done.

Nice install and thanks for taking the time to document it in this post (with pics too :rockon: ) and answer follow-up questions.

Regards,

-Pockdog

I also have the motorized plate on my gt500.

It is an easy install. All needed parts are included. If you can get it on a lift then it becomes a really easy job.

Much prefer that the plate gets scrapped instead of the splitter (especially since I have recently added the Super Snake Carbon fiber splitter)

Nice job on your install! Congrats.

One question, If it is not motorized, when do you decide when to put it up or hide it? If you get pulled over do you get out and flip it up real quick? Nice install but I am trying to make sense of it? Maybe car shows? Nice install. Just a thought, denohew

Thanks all - In terms of rubbing I'm not sure the frame that the plate slides on can take much abuse from a curb or pavement. So it's probably worse to have that scrape vs. the splitter in my mind, the splitter is plastic and can be replaced in 20-30 minutes if you have the car up even on ramps.

Denohew, you can move the plate up and fold it back anytime you want. My plan is to keep it hidden all the time and if I get pulled over, ask forgiveness and permission to pull it out into the up position right on the spot. Hopefully no policeman/woman will write a ticket at that point.

Thanks all - In terms of rubbing I'm not sure the frame that the plate slides on can take much abuse from a curb or pavement. So it's probably worse to have that scrape vs. the splitter in my mind, the splitter is plastic and can be replaced in 20-30 minutes if you have the car up even on ramps.

Denohew, you can move the plate up and fold it back anytime you want. My plan is to keep it hidden all the time and if I get pulled over, ask forgiveness and permission to pull it out into the up position right on the spot. Hopefully no policeman/woman will write a ticket at that point.

You can just say you just came from a show and forgot to put it back up.

Roger

Good luck with the " forgiving " police officer! All they are doing is checking if you had a couple of beers at Chili's. I put a front plate on, that is always up and no drilling also. I think it was from trailerbuilders? It is not as clean as yours when it is down but I am " legal " at all times. Just my luck to get pulled over by a young over aggressive cop after a few at " the watering hole " . Good job though, denohew

Good luck with the " forgiving " police officer! All they are doing is checking if you had a couple of beers at Chili's. I put a front plate on, that is always up and no drilling also. I think it was from trailerbuilders? It is not as clean as yours when it is down but I am " legal " at all times. Just my luck to get pulled over by a young over aggressive cop after a few at " the watering hole " . Good job though, denohew

I know the feeling . On my 3rd day of owning /driving my car , ( no front plate ) OPP Oficer damn near broke his neck pulling a U,ee just to chase me and give me a warning . I see so many other Vehicles in my area driving around with no front plates but i guess in a Shelby , well , thats just NOT allowed .

A very nice job. What size bolts did you use? I have the kit and the hardware that comes with it is weak.

I knew I should have written the size down - I can't remember except that I believe they are 1.25" long. Sorry, I should have written it down when I bought them. I actually took the splitter into the hardware store with me so I could get a good look at what to choose.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Very nice I have the same Problem here in Ontairo Canada ! I had just put mine on the Dash in the Bag that NEW licences plates come in . Where did you Buy this

Mack 1

Will the plate stop the Air Flow??? Reson do to they had to move the Cobra emblem to the passenger side do to Air Flow .This is why I have the plate on the inside .But I love the Idea Iam Sold though

Mack1

Archived