TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tsb for clutch honored, still not satisified

experienced sudden total clutch failure @ 20k miles after hard launch in estill south carolina. have performance tune, borla after cat exhaust, and steeda cai on my 07 gt 500. local ford dealership replaced flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate under tsb without a moment's hesistation....

however,3 months/3,0000 miles later, miss the old clutch. doesn't scratch as easily, soft engagement, not as crisp. clutch pressure/performance just not there.

hate to change out new clutch prior to other mods, but seems needed. has anyone had similar experience?

more importantly any sugestions on best bang for the buck aftermarket replacement?

experienced sudden total clutch failure @ 20k miles after hard launch in estill south carolina. have performance tune, borla after cat exhaust, and steeda cai on my 07 gt 500. local ford dealership replaced flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate under tsb without a moment's hesistation....

however,3 months/3,0000 miles later, miss the old clutch. doesn't scratch as easily, soft engagement, not as crisp. clutch pressure/performance just not there.

hate to change out new clutch prior to other mods, but seems needed. has anyone had similar experience?

more importantly any sugestions on best bang for the buck aftermarket replacement?

yes, I had the same issues.

Had tsb done, then had complete failure the same day and then again and then well on my 3rd now and it sucks way more than the original clutch so I just ordered a spec SS from lethal

I did not want to do it because it was 1300 dollars I should not have had to pay but I didnt want to go another driving season with frustration

yes, I had the same issues.

Had tsb done, then had complete failure the same day and then again and then well on my 3rd now and it sucks way more than the original clutch so I just ordered a spec SS from lethal

I did not want to do it because it was 1300 dollars I should not have had to pay but I didnt want to go another driving season with frustration

Chuck, I thought you were going to order a 2011 amd sell your 07. Have you scrapped that plan since you are ordering a new clutch system for your present car?

Chuck, I thought you were going to order a 2011 amd sell your 07. Have you scrapped that plan since you are ordering a new clutch system for your present car?

No, but I decided to wait until the 2011s hit the lots so I could check one out and drive myself before ordering one. I figured it was the respectable thing to do.

Now, yes it is sort of stupid paying $2k for a new clutch for my car if I am going to sell it but I figure if I do unload it, I want to be able to enjoy it this spring/summer while I wait, you know.

You know as well as I do, the clutch in this car takes all the fun out of owning this car so perhaps this new Spec clutch will really let me enjoy the car all over again, well see!

No, but I decided to wait until the 2011s hit the lots so I could check one out and drive myself before ordering one. I figured it was the respectable thing to do.

Now, yes it is sort of stupid paying $2k for a new clutch for my car if I am going to sell it but I figure if I do unload it, I want to be able to enjoy it this spring/summer while I wait, you know.

You know as well as I do, the clutch in this car takes all the fun out of owning this car so perhaps this new Spec clutch will really let me enjoy the car all over again, well see!

Probably a good idea to wait, since, if memory serves, you were otherwise happy with your car. One of my reasons for moving to the 2011 is the stock clutch in my 2007. Had TSB done, even got a new trans and still chatters on ocassion. It is just unacceptable to me and I fully agree... it ruins the driving experience. Moving to the 2011 eliminates that problem and provides all the great up-dates of the 2010/2011 MY. Still don't have a VIN yet but am standing by. Paying 2K for a new clutch that actually works may very well save you the price of a new 2011. The aluminum block in the 2011 pushed me over the edge.

Chuck,

Tell me you're not going to let the same dealer that boogered up you car...put your new aftermarket clutch in ? ? ? ? ?

HELL NO

Did you know that dealer was Tasca Ford?

I will be ok I think this time around. I am actually having them install the lighter 08 balancer while it is in there so obviously I am thinking positive that this new clutch will solve my tranny issues. I think it will because I no longer get any audible grinding going into gear, just when I come to a stop, the shifter will get stuck in gear or will not shift into any gear, which is part of what is listed in the TSB so Im pretty sure by replacing the factory clutch, flywheel, slave, and pilot I should be good.

Probably a good idea to wait, since, if memory serves, you were otherwise happy with your car. One of my reasons for moving to the 2011 is the stock clutch in my 2007. Had TSB done, even got a new trans and still chatters on ocassion. It is just unacceptable to me and I fully agree... it ruins the driving experience. Moving to the 2011 eliminates that problem and provides all the great up-dates of the 2010/2011 MY. Still don't have a VIN yet but am standing by. Paying 2K for a new clutch that actually works may very well save you the price of a new 2011. The aluminum block in the 2011 pushed me over the edge.

I am happy for you. I truly do hope the spec clutch will give me the driving feel I am after. I drove a 2010 GT500 and the clutch took some getting used to but I don't recal any chatter, very smooth and light. Main difference was it released very high and had less feel to it.

You may push me over the edge to get a 2011, but I figure, I paid over for my 07 and if I buy a 2011 right now, even with a decent trade, I am still paying more for the new car than say if I want another 6 months, you know.

The Al block is everything I want, lighter weight up front, IMO it is going to be driving nirvana, the best of both worlds, huge motor, huge power, endless limitations but no weight penality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly believe the new 2011 will set all sorts of records and blow the base vette away as well as the new grand sport.

I have never owned a muscle car that had a clutch everyone would consider perfect, they have all been either very stiff, chattered sometimes, didn't last very long, blew apart or just failed. I would be surprised if the 011 has "The" clutch.

I had a version of the TSB done and so far so good, darn thing chattered alot upon engagement after 50 or so miles, after 500 miles it smoothed out. When this one fails I''ll go aftermarket.

I am happy for you. I truly do hope the spec clutch will give me the driving feel I am after. I drove a 2010 GT500 and the clutch took some getting used to but I don't recal any chatter, very smooth and light. Main difference was it released very high and had less feel to it.

That is exactly how my '08 clutch feels now after the TSB (Clutch and Flywheel only version). Even got rid of that "rattle" from the transmission area I used to have when sitting at a light in neutral, without the clutch depressed.

So, it's been done. Now, should there be any clutch problems, it's straight to aftermarket. But do hope that does not end up being needed.

I have the revised clutch in mine with the nickel flywheel as well.

I don't like it as much as the original clutch. I think maybe the flywheel is a little slicker compared to the iron and it doesn't really grab as well.

So it's harder to take off at a light without shudder.

The pedal effort is a little more as well.

But I'll keep this one until I need a new one I suppose.... unless the economy picks up again :)

I don't like it as much as the original clutch. I think maybe the flywheel is a little slicker compared to the iron and it doesn't really grab as well.

But I'll keep this one until I need a new one I suppose.... unless the economy picks up again :)

thanks Imatk,

good to know i am not alone.

your comment about the newer flywheel does make me wonder if simply an aftermarket clutch/pressure plate would bring back that old world feel. may need aftermarket flywheel as well.

thanks Imatk,

good to know i am not alone.

your comment about the newer flywheel does make me wonder if simply an aftermarket clutch/pressure plate would bring back that old world feel. may need aftermarket flywheel as well.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's the clutch, flywheel, or both.

The clutch, to me, appeared to be fairly similar to the original clutch. But it must be a different design as well since the pedal effort is a bit more. I suspect they had to increase the clamping force due to the nickel flywheel.

I'd talk to a tech you can trust before you make a decision. Vendors sometimes have their own agenda if you know what I mean ;)

Interesting....I find the complete opposite. Less shudder and clutch pedal effort is the same as is the grabbing force. When I row through the gears I still hear the ceramic pads grab the flywheel as before. Could this be attributed to different driving styles?

ive never drove a viper, but i have drove a vett an there clucthes arent really all that much better. :headscratch: , so im ok with the GT500 clutch, i just want it to hold the power an not break.

My 07 C6 had the best clutch in the world. It was smooth as silk and I could power shift it like crazy. The only drawback was I had to suck out the clutch fluid every couple thousand miles with a baby snot sucker. I would cycle out the dirty fluid and add new fluid to the under hood brake master cylinder. Other than that, it was a dream.

Archived