TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Countdown to Retirement

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as long as we’re talking numbers.... attached is my three-month outlook calendar. Mathematically speaking I have 50 days and a wake-up of which I will still report to work 31 days. At that point I will go into my Terminal Leave mode to ensure I make the 1 June All-Ford Nationals Carlisle Show. After returning from Carlisle, I will spend the better part of a week at home cleaning the bugs off my bumper and grill while I occasionally gaze toward the mailbox waiting on day 67 to appear and the mailman delivering my first retirement check.

After that, the world is my oyster, and I’m going deep to enjoying it. :salute:

Countdown to retirement.jpg

Countdown to retirement.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as long as we’re talking numbers.... attached is my three-month outlook calendar. Mathematically speaking I have 50 days and a wake-up of which I will still report to work 31 days. At that point I will go into my Terminal Leave mode to ensure I make the 1 June All-Ford Nationals Carlisle Show. After returning from Carlisle, I will spend the better part of a week at home cleaning the bugs off my bumper and grill while I occasionally gaze toward the mailbox waiting on day 67 to appear and the mailman delivering my first retirement check.

After that, the world is my oyster, and I’m going deep to enjoying it. :salute:

Wow Bill,

You are really getting close. That must be very exciting for you. What a strange feeling it must be to know you are this close to retirement !!!

I just started taking IRA monthly withdrawals at 59 1/2 to get in the groove of getting ready for retirement. I'm thinking out by 12/31/2012 or anytime after May 16th which is 34 years. Between May and December is just gravy and paying down some small credit card bills.

GG

I just started taking IRA monthly withdrawals at 59 1/2 to get in the groove of getting ready for retirement. I'm thinking out by 12/31/2012 or anytime after May 16th which is 34 years. Between May and December is just gravy and paying down some small credit card bills.

GG

Nice to be able to start getting some of that money back.

I may check into getting some of my 401K money early prior to age 59-1/2 with out getting penalized by using SEPP rule 72t.

Here are some articles on the SEPP rule 72t for anyone else that may be planning to retire early.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tap-retirement-savings-early-without-penalty-2010-04-28

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/wdraw59.html

Exciting but scary all at the same time .... 37 days and a wake-up. :( B) :cry::wub:

Congratulations, I retired from the Army in 1996 and have been enjoying the good life ever since.

Just find something you like to do and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Bill,

You are really getting close. That must be very exciting for you. What a strange feeling it must be to know you are this close to retirement !!!

Looking at your calendar I see that you are down to only 3 more Mondays. Wow !

Don't be counting your life away, retirement will come soon enough. Enjoy every day; no point in wanting to be older.

In order to plan for retirement...one must figure out when he is going to pull the plug. Hence the countdown.

Don't be counting your life away, retirement will come soon enough. Enjoy every day; no point in wanting to be older.

Glen,

I'm with you. As we get older, life seems to pass by faster than our Shelbys... Work has a nice pace to it.

Edited by SVT NAJA

Looking at your calendar I see that you are down to only 3 more Mondays. Wow !

Yeah, Thanks. Snapped this pic Friday of my wall calendar again. 14 work days and a wake up, then the following week I'll be taking terminal leave and heading up to the Carlisle All-Ford Nationals for my 13th year in a row (and my Silver Shelby GT-500 is the one on the poster this year). After that I'll just hang out at the house till 9 June when I become officially "unemployed" or retired. Then ..... we'll see which chapter begins next ....... :salute:

Short Timer\'s Calendar ... (774x1280).jpg

Carlisle 2012 Me.jpg

Carlisle Ford Nationals 2012 Poster.jpg

Short Timer\'s Calendar ... (774x1280).jpg

Carlisle 2012 Me.jpg

Carlisle Ford Nationals 2012 Poster.jpg

Yeah, Thanks. Snapped this pic Friday of my wall calendar again. 14 work days and a wake up, then the following week I'll be taking terminal leave and heading up to the Carlisle All-Ford Nationals for my 13th year in a row (and my Silver Shelby GT-500 is the one on the poster this year). After that I'll just hang out at the house till 9 June when I become officially "unemployed" or retired. Then ..... we'll see which chapter begins next ....... :salute:

That's so exciting ! I'm very happy for you. That's cool that you got your car on that poster.

Does your first retirement check roll your way 30 days later ?

That's so exciting ! I'm very happy for you. That's cool that you got your car on that poster.

Does your first retirement check roll your way 30 days later ?

Probably take four to six weeks, maybe more but I'll sell back a month's leave and get that in my final paycheck along with some other things so I should be doing fine for a while unless I decide to get a 2014 Shelby GT-500 (LOL). Exciting times ahead, I'm hoping to take the summer off and either be using my GI Bill going back to school or another employment opportunity in the fall that has been keeping in touch with me the last few years that I've been an unpaid consultant with.

Also got a garage that needs cleaning out and an old warhorse "resting in the barn" that could use some TLC and a little more exercise. B)

Summer projects.jpg

Summer projects.jpg

Probably take four to six weeks, maybe more but I'll sell back a month's leave and get that in my final paycheck along with some other things so I should be doing fine for a while unless I decide to get a 2014 Shelby GT-500 (LOL). Exciting times ahead, I'm hoping to take the summer off and either be using my GI Bill going back to school or another employment opportunity in the fall that has been keeping in touch with me the last few years that I've been an unpaid consultant with.

Also got a garage that needs cleaning out and an old warhorse "resting in the barn" that could use some TLC and a little more exercise. B)

Love the Mach

Bill, you will be afraid for about 10 seconds after you retire!!!!!!!!!!! The rest will be pure gravy!!!!!!!!!!!! Take it from someone who has been retired going on 4 years!!!!!!!!!! You will wonder how you were able to do have the stuff you did when you were employed!!!!!!!! Anyway just enjoyed the ride....you will NOW really appreciate the sHELBY EVEN MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well tomorrow day I make my final flight on an Air Force aircraft. Going to be a 4.0 hour local proficiency and air refueling trainer on a Boeing C-17 Globemaster III . After 35 1/2 years and 10,215 flight hours I'll be finishing up with a traditional hose down upon landing scheduled for 1500 at Charleston Air Force Base. Then tomorrow night I'll be throwing out the first pitch for the Charleston Riverdogs Professional baseball team as part of Military Appreciation Night. I hoping I can muster up a 50 mph fastball or at least not bounce it to the plate. (LOL)

One more week of office work to wrap this up and then it off to Carlisle for a few days. When I return it'll be a week of Terminal leave and then on to the next chapter .... whatever that may bring. Retirement will be tough after all this excitement.... I can't wait. B)

:salute:

WDH_1744 - Copy (2) (1069x1280).jpg

WDH_1744 - Copy (2) (1069x1280).jpg

Well tomorrow day I make my final flight on an Air Force aircraft. Going to be a 4.0 hour local proficiency and air refueling trainer on a Boeing C-17 Globemaster III . After 35 1/2 years and 10,215 flight hours I'll be finishing up with a traditional hose down upon landing scheduled for 1500 at Charleston Air Force Base. Then tomorrow night I'll be throwing out the first pitch for the Charleston Riverdogs Professional baseball team as part of Military Appreciation Night. I hoping I can muster up a 50 mph fastball or at least not bounce it to the plate. (LOL)

One more week of office work to wrap this up and then it off to Carlisle for a few days. When I return it'll be a week of Terminal leave and then on to the next chapter .... whatever that may bring. Retirement will be tough after all this excitement.... I can't wait. B)

Bill that is a great pic of you. You don't look as old as your post makes you out to be. My hats off to you for keeping yourself fit so you can enjoy your retirement more.

I sure hope to see a pic or 2 of you throwing that baseball at the game. That's cool that they are doing that for you. way cool.

I'm going to be watching you the next couple of years to see how this is all working out. So please let us know how this new chapter is going as it unfolds.

.....and a big thanks for your service ! :salute:

Great pic Bill, and as the others have said...THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

I'm certain you'll find the new chapter exciting too

Cheers,

Tom