TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Countdown to Retirement

Wow, Rob. That is a great. Over here retirement age is going up from 65 to 67. Of course you can stop earlier if there is enough money. I don't think there is because we spent it all. Life is short. I see it around me. Enjoy. A lot of people say I will do this and that when they turn 65 and then within a short periode they meet their maker.

Good Luck Rob,those next few years will fly by fast and will be here before you know it!!!!! I have been retired for 2 years now and am enjoying it immensely!!!!! You will likewise!!! It will give you more time to take care of your "baby" ( the Shelby,of course ).

To all of you retirees out there---ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Good Luck Rob,those next few years will fly by fast and will be here before you know it!!!!! I have been retired for 2 years now and am enjoying it immensely!!!!! You will likewise!!! It will give you more time to take care of your "baby" ( the Shelby,of course ).

To all of you retirees out there---ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Same here Joe...There will be 2 years this Jan 15th for me and loving every minute of it.

I retired not by choice at 50 this year. I could no longer do the job due to a disability. I liked my job, I miss some of the people. I have gotten used to it. I have two new babies so I'll be Mr. Mom. I am looking forward to spending as much time with my kids as possible. Teaching them stuff, how to survive the world. How to save money how to protect themselves etc...

I wish you all good luck on your retirements. May you all live long and prosper. :salute:

I retired at 54 with 36 years with the company. I just turned 63....All I can say is it's great...You'll love it..... :happy feet:

Good for you.:salute:

54 is my goal because that is when I can draw a full pension. Did you start collecting SS payments early at 62 or are you waiting to collect the larger payout at 67

I retired not by choice at 50 this year. I could no longer do the job due to a disability. I liked my job, I miss some of the people. I have gotten used to it. I have two new babies so I'll be Mr. Mom. I am looking forward to spending as much time with my kids as possible. Teaching them stuff, how to survive the world. How to save money how to protect themselves etc...

I wish you all good luck on your retirements. May you all live long and prosper. :salute:

Sorry to hear about the disability. Was it job related?

What made you decide to have babies at such a late age in life?

Wow, Rob. That is a great. Over here retirement age is going up from 65 to 67. Of course you can stop earlier if there is enough money. I don't think there is because we spent it all. Life is short. I see it around me. Enjoy. A lot of people say I will do this and that when they turn 65 and then within a short period they meet their maker.

Patrick,

My dad retired at age 54, so I have set that goal for myself as well. I will be eligible, but will have to double check the numbers with the economy. I have been planning for this for many years. The key is to be debt free and a good nest egg in the bank. My Pension is protected and watched very closely by many eyes. All our union members had to give up some money off our base pay raises the last 2 years to shore it up due to the economy. The construction industry is starting to recover and more guys are starting to go back to work....so this will help keep moneys going into out pension program.

Over here we can draw early Social security at age 62. The amount is reduced at age 62 unless you wait until age 67. At age 67 you can get medicare for health coverage. So if I retire at age 54, I will need to make sure I can swing my own health coverage for 13 years until I turn 67. My union has a supplement to pay for a small portion of my health insurance plan, but the rest will be up to me. If the health insurance goes total wacko....I may continue to work, just to keep my health insurance active. This would also allow me to rat hole more money.

I just want to get to the point of my pension being active, and then decide what will be best. I have been running the numbers and it looks like it will work.

Good for you Rob, I will use that little website for myself also. As of today I have 8 years! :happy feet:

http://www.timeandda...0&sec=00&p0=221

I have the small countdown tracker running in the corner of my computer the last 2 years. It says 3 years 11 months and 30 days. Kind of cool to see it hit the under 4 year mark.

I'm working on getting my house paid off and counting that down. Seems that I count alot of numbers these days. My plan is to own my home free and clear by summer. Before I retire...I'm planning of buying my wife a brand new Mustang and I want to pay cash for it, so I'm going to start saving for that next. It should be easier to save for once I own my house. I figure that the new 50th Mustang will hit the streets in 2014 with the new body style and she said she would love to have one....so that's the plan and the timing should be perfect.

Patrick,

My dad retired at age 54, so I have set that goal for myself as well. I will be eligible, but will have to double check the numbers with the economy. I have been planning for this for many years. The key is to be debt free and a good nest egg in the bank. My Pension is protected and watched very closely by many eyes. All our union members had to give up some money off our base pay raises the last 2 years to shore it up due to the economy. The construction industry is starting to recover and more guys are starting to go back to work....so this will help keep moneys going into out pension program.

Over here we can draw early Social security at age 62. The amount is reduced at age 62 unless you wait until age 67. At age 67 you can get medicare for health coverage. So if I retire at age 54, I will need to make sure I can swing my own health coverage for 13 years until I turn 67. My union has a supplement to pay for a small portion of my health insurance plan, but the rest will be up to me. If the health insurance goes total wacko....I may continue to work, just to keep my health insurance active. This would also allow me to rat hole more money.

I just want to get to the point of my pension being active, and then decide what will be best. I have been running the numbers and it looks like it will work.

Hope things work out the way you want Rob...My union pension starts when I turn 55...As far as medical plan we are

covered here in Canada through medicare then the full SS starts at 65...Like you said dept free is the key to early retirement

I was lucky in a sense that I was able to sell my half of the company so that it could keep me going till I turn 55.

Hope things work out the way you want Rob...My union pension starts when I turn 55...As far as medical plan we are

covered here in Canada through medicare then the full SS starts at 65...Like you said dept free is the key to early retirement

I was lucky in a sense that I was able to sell my half of the company so that it could keep me going till I turn 55.

I bet your going to like seeing that pension check start to roll in. when are you turning 55 ? At what age does Canada cover you on Medicare ?

I bet your going to like seeing that pension check start to roll in. when are you turning 55 ? At what age does Canada cover you on Medicare ?

Depends on your province, some provinces charge a monthly fee for health care (against the federal law but what ever). Most provinces donot charge anything for health care it is covered in you Federal and provincial income tax, so in Manitoba you are covered from birth to death.

In BC it costs me 50.00 a month I think for Lisa and I . The BC system is sort of dumb as they setup a complete system to collect the money.

It would make more sense just to raise my provincial tax the amount they need and cut the cost of the second system overhead. :banghead:

Rob I'll be 55 in just over 3 years...The checks will be nice but I might just wait till I'm 58 to start collecting...I will get 18% more

that way...Wifey has a great job and I still work part time for the union as an organizer (1 week a month) and like I said the sale of

my part of the company made us totally dept free and a little left over for a rainy day...So yeah no hurry to draw to quick...As far as

the medicare we are coverd in Canada till the day we die so no worries there unless something changes but I can;t see that

happening anytime soon...By the way I am 35 years in the union now and like the people I deal with so thats why I'm sticking with

that part as an organizer I would go crazy if I didn't have that contact with the guys.

Good for you.:salute:

54 is my goal because that is when I can draw a full pension. Did you start collecting SS payments early at 62 or are you waiting to collect the larger payout at 67

Started to collect ss at 62.....You never know when the one above calls you, besides I want to use it now while I'm still in great health..... :happy feet:

Depends on your province, some provinces charge a monthly fee for health care (against the federal law but what ever). Most provinces donot charge anything for health care it is covered in you Federal and provincial income tax, so in Manitoba you are covered from birth to death.

In BC it costs me 50.00 a month I think for Lisa and I . The BC system is sort of dumb as they setup a complete system to collect the money.

It would make more sense just to raise my provincial tax the amount they need and cut the cost of the second system overhead. :banghead:

Yeah glory here in Nova Scotia we are covered from birth till death also.

• 6 months later...

I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but 2 months ago on my 49th Birthday I couldn't help but start the 5 year countdown in the back of my mind.

My goal to hit this date is on track and currently solid. I just hope the economy allows me to work at least 1000 hours a year so my pension can be activated. I'm looking forward to my 54th Birthday more than any other birthday. cool.gif

58 working months left.

http://www.timeandda...in=&sec=&p0=234

42 working months left.

Funny how it seems like I started counting down just yesterday when I had 5 years left. Now I'm down to 3-1/2 years. happy%20feet.gif

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=12&day=30&year=2014&hour=&min=&sec=&p0=234

I'll tell you that retirement is grand. It's been almost eight years since I pulled the plug. Or should I say they pulled it for me. I gave Uncle Sam 36 years, 9 months and 4 days. I was 56 when I got my DD 214 from the Army in San Antonio at Ft Sam Houston.

Rob, it will go by faster than you can ever realize. For me it was the last 30 days that were the worst. They had a replacement for me and all I did was show up and stand around doing nothing.

Although I could retire, for me, retirement is over-rated. I've worked in heavy construction since 1976 (actually two years earlier than that while in college) and I really enjoy looking back each day and seeing how our company (and my work) has contributed to the communities where we operate by helping to build hospitals, bridges, power plants, office buildings, etc. Our company turns 100 years old in 5 years and I plan to be there when the year long celebration starts. After that, who knows?

Although I could retire, for me, retirement is over-rated. I've worked in heavy construction since 1976 (actually two years earlier than that while in college) and I really enjoy looking back each day and seeing how our company (and my work) has contributed to the communities where we operate by helping to build hospitals, bridges, power plants, office buildings, etc. Our company turns 100 years old in 5 years and I plan to be there when the year long celebration starts. After that, who knows?

That's cool!!

Good for you! :salute:

EZ Chairs are over-rated anyway!!! :hysterical:

Im 47...I figure another 25 years and I can retire.......

since there wont be any social security by then.....I dont plan on living much longer than 72.:salute:

PS. My grandfather died at 60 and my Dad at 63....so its a longshot I make it to 72 anyway! :sing_rain:

Edited by mywickedshelby

• 5 weeks later...

I asked my dad a couple of years ago awhen he was 79 how he made the decision to retire, he said glenn I just woke up one day and decided I didn't want to work anymore.

I don't want to work anymore either.... but the way I like to "play" just costs too much :spend: So, back to :work: I go!

Keith

In March I went into the DROP so I set my retirement with out penalties. I want to leave but I would be foolish to not work another year or so and pay the house off. Wife says if I want a 2013 Boss I have to work the entire 5 years. (max DROP time allowed) Although she was not fond of the Shelby I think she wants the Boss so I will stay gone longer!!