TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Boss Fodder

crispy23c

Go here, Boss Fanatics:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showt...595#post4548595

"Major turmoil over at the Ford camp is causing major changes as I'm sure you can imagine.

As of now the 5.8L Boss engines are slated for Mustangs but not until MY '10 earliest maybe '11. 6.2s are now relegated to truck only duty.

The new push for the Boss, and most at Ford don't even know about it, is back to a 5.4 4v using GT/GT500 heads and a new intake. Obviously this would be the most cost effective route for a SE that's supposed to come to market in the near future. Evidently they've made 380hp (not sure if its rw or flywheel) with off the shelf cams and this motor.

There is still zero chance of a big bore modular 5.0 ending up in the Boss SE."

This guy is spot-on every time, and he knows his stuff. Figured you deserve the latest info, guys....

Go here, Boss Fanatics:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showt...595#post4548595

"Major turmoil over at the Ford camp is causing major changes as I'm sure you can imagine.

As of now the 5.8L Boss engines are slated for Mustangs but not until MY '10 earliest maybe '11. 6.2s are now relegated to truck only duty.

The new push for the Boss, and most at Ford don't even know about it, is back to a 5.4 4v using GT/GT500 heads and a new intake. Obviously this would be the most cost effective route for a SE that's supposed to come to market in the near future. Evidently they've made 380hp (not sure if its rw or flywheel) with off the shelf cams and this motor.

There is still zero chance of a big bore modular 5.0 ending up in the Boss SE."

This guy is spot-on every time, and he knows his stuff. Figured you deserve the latest info, guys....

I was just getting ready to post this myself, seems you get up earlier than I do!! :hyper:

Certainly, from my perspective a MAJOR disappointment. :redcard: Basically, a recycled engine combination ('00 Cobra R) in a new appearance package. If Ford goes this route, it would be a mistake in my view. The iron block 5.4L is a heavy, RPM limited engine (even in all alloy aluminum it has limited RPM potential) and that certainly doesn't fit the overall theme of a Boss Mustang. The original Boss 302 was a thinly veiled race car with a high RPM 302 screamer under the hood. The engine combination described in that thread sounds more like a perfect candidate for a Mach I, NOT a Boss. If Ford truly went back to the drawing board (as was rumored) to design a Boss that met enthusiasts demands, they really missed the mark.

If Saleen can make 400 hp using a stroked 4.6L with 3V heads, what is wrong with Ford? :rant: I realize the Cammer is probably a pipe dream for a street Mustang, but Ford needs to offer that level of NA HP, torque and performance in a Boss model, otherwise the car is nothing more than a marketing gimick. IMHO, if Ford can't offer a legitimate successor to the Boss 302, then a Boss Mustang shouldn't be offered until a suitable engine is available. If that means we have to wait until MY '10 for a H/Boss based Boss Mustang then so be it. Please Ford, don't ruin one of the most hallowed names in the Mustang legacy by offering a recycled engine package in the Boss :sos:

I was just going to start a thread with a link over there <lol> beat me to it again ;-)

Yeah, I'm with you Fanatic ...iron undersquare 5.4 is a 'no-sale' for me.

Maybe it's just a bad dream and I'll wake up tomorrow and it wil be a 5.0 spray-bore alloy 7K mod with the rumored new intake at 425HP ;)

Maybe it's a "bait & switch"? Maybe I'm hopin'?

This motor seems more appropriate for a Mach 1 than the Boss...JMO. I guess we'll have to wait & debate. And yeah, my kids got me up at 4:15 a.m. (eastern), so what's a guy to do but post before you get up????? :hysterical:

I had the same thought, Crispy. Maybe Ford is intentionally leaking mis-information to keep the competition guessing. Another thought is that Ford is using this as a test to see if the Mustang community would accept a 5.4L iron block Boss. From my perspective, this is one enthusiast who states clearly and emphathetically to Ford NO 5.4L Boss Mustangs!! :soapbox:

Wow, up at 4:15!! :drop: Guess I won't complain next time my kids wake me at 7:00!!

I was just going to start a thread with a link over there <lol> beat me to it again ;-)

Yeah, I'm with you Fanatic ...iron undersquare 5.4 is a 'no-sale' for me.

Maybe it's just a bad dream and I'll wake up tomorrow and it wil be a 5.0 spray-bore alloy 7K mod with the rumored new intake at 425HP ;)

Dan, I have to try to get ahead of you somehow, you always are the first to find the latest, greatest details coupled with your usual insight. I'm just lucky if I occassionally stumble across something worth reporting. I'm just trying to emulate the master!!

• 1 month later...
I see over at SVT Perf... it's 15 thread-pages later an still no new news :cry: yet I'm oddly hopefull (ok, maybe just oddly <lol>)

-Dan

I hopeful that the lack of information means that Boss Mustang won't debut until an alloy version of the new Boss engine series is under the hood - preferrably in 5.0L size :happy feet:

I hopeful that the lack of information means that Boss Mustang won't debut until an alloy version of the new Boss engine series is under the hood - preferrably in 5.0L size :happy feet:

No news likely is good news... as long as it no for toooo long ;-)

Steve, did you see that newspaper article ...about Ford investing $200M to prep Cleveland casting #1 for the 3.5V6 and Boss6.2 (truck?) ...and plant interest in securing CGI when(/if) Ford embraces that? Still no mention of alloy, but knowing Ford's die-hard traditionalist bent, you know, if possible, they'd want the alloy Boss Mustang block cast in Cleveland, imo ... a definate propensity to honor history ;-)

At least we can only hope :hyper:

No news likely is good news... as long as it no for toooo long ;-)

Steve, did you see that newspaper article ...about Ford investing $200M to prep Cleveland casting #1 for the 3.5V6 and Boss6.2 (truck?) ...and plant interest in securing CGI when(/if) Ford embraces that? Still no mention of alloy, but knowing Ford's die-hard traditionalist bent, you know, if possible, they'd want the alloy Boss Mustang block cast in Cleveland, imo ... a definate propensity to honor history ;-)

At least we can only hope :hyper:

Yes, I saw the article in another thread, very interesting. I agree, an alloy Boss motor cast at the Cleveland foundry would be tremendous and a great piece of history to be repeated.

Archived