TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone purchase Coastal E Tech's SYNC Lockpick?

WydOpen

I recently purchased Coastal's Lockpick for my car primarily to run an aftermarket license plate bracket rear camera and have full use of navigation functions while driving. Pretty neat that it also allows you to install a front camera (something nice when you're parking and you don't want to hit the curb and damage the front splitter.

I installed as per directions and it is not allowing me to run the setup. I already have a call in with the company and waiting for them to get back to me, but just wanted to see if anyone has successfully installed this device on their car.

My problem is before the device runs the installation, it says place vehicle in park before continuing. I have the transmission in first gear with the emergency brake set, but still nothing and it won't let me continue with installation and initialization.

Thanks in advance...

Oh, for those interested, here is the website...

Coastal Electrnics Technology SYNC-LP1 LOCKPICK

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I talked at length with the tech guy and he had me try it with the key in accessory mode as well as all the way forward in the on position just before start. I tried every gear as well as reverse and it just wouldn't allow me to continue with the installation.

I just removed it and waiting for them to e-mail me the updated software.

I found out about this through a friend who has it installed in his Jeep and loves it. He puts in a DVD and his wife watches movies while they drive and he can use all functions of the navigation menu. He has an aftermarket rear camera and front. He can view his trailer while towing as well.

I'll let you all know how it turns out when I get the update from the company. They need to go to a local dealer and use a new car to test it out and said it may take a week.

By the way, the dash removal isn't too bad, but Ford didn't do us any favors with the wiring and the hard drive only moved about 1" forward when I removed the mounting screws. I had to fish my hands behind the unit to disconnect everything. Once I pulled the hard drive out completely I managed to get some more play out of the wires coming from behind the dash and it is a little easier. I didn't realize the screen is separate from the radio/hard drive...pretty neat actually!

I'll post up some install pics and instructions when everything is all said and done for those who might consider this device on their car.

I'll post up some install pics and instructions when everything is all said and done for those who might consider this device on their car.

I am seriously considering picking this up for when my car arrives in April (I hope). If you don't mind, can you take a picture of the finished mounted License Plate frame and what the video looks like onscreen? Did you get the License Frame with the camera from the Lock Pick site?

Am interested in seeing how this pans out as I would like to install cameras on my ride as well...

I recently purchased Coastal's Lockpick for my car primarily to run an aftermarket license plate bracket rear camera and have full use of navigation functions while driving. Pretty neat that it also allows you to install a front camera (something nice when you're parking and you don't want to hit the curb and damage the front splitter.

I installed as per directions and it is not allowing me to run the setup. I already have a call in with the company and waiting for them to get back to me, but just wanted to see if anyone has successfully installed this device on their car.

My problem is before the device runs the installation, it says place vehicle in park before continuing. I have the transmission in first gear with the emergency brake set, but still nothing and it won't let me continue with installation and initialization.

Thanks in advance...

Oh, for those interested, here is the website...

Coastal Electrnics Technology SYNC-LP1 LOCKPICK

I am seriously considering picking this up for when my car arrives in April (I hope). If you don't mind, can you take a picture of the finished mounted License Plate frame and what the video looks like onscreen? Did you get the License Frame with the camera from the Lock Pick site?

Cartoys has one in their showrooms. Not sure if it's just a Colorado company or national. You should be able to find them on the 'Net.

They're black anodized frames with a pin-hole camera in the center of the top edge.

Very nice looking, you wouldn't know a camera was there unless someone pointed it out.

Phill Pollard

Yeah, I talked at length with the tech guy and he had me try it with the key in accessory mode as well as all the way forward in the on position just before start. I tried every gear as well as reverse and it just wouldn't allow me to continue with the installation.

I just removed it and waiting for them to e-mail me the updated software.

I found out about this through a friend who has it installed in his Jeep and loves it. He puts in a DVD and his wife watches movies while they drive and he can use all functions of the navigation menu. He has an aftermarket rear camera and front. He can view his trailer while towing as well.

I'll let you all know how it turns out when I get the update from the company. They need to go to a local dealer and use a new car to test it out and said it may take a week.

By the way, the dash removal isn't too bad, but Ford didn't do us any favors with the wiring and the hard drive only moved about 1" forward when I removed the mounting screws. I had to fish my hands behind the unit to disconnect everything. Once I pulled the hard drive out completely I managed to get some more play out of the wires coming from behind the dash and it is a little easier. I didn't realize the screen is separate from the radio/hard drive...pretty neat actually!

Is the wiring in place for the rear camera, did you have to run the wires, or is the camera wireless?

Alright, well I got a couple of phone calls today from Coastal and they are having a hard time obtaining a manual transmission test car. I really don't know why they are having problems doing so. Said once they locate one they'll run some tests and fix the software and send me the update.

I'll keep you guys updated as I get updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, well I got a couple of phone calls today from Coastal and they are having a hard time obtaining a manual transmission test car. I really don't know why they are having problems doing so. Said once they locate one they'll run some tests and fix the software and send me the update.

I'll keep you guys updated as I get updates.

hey WydOpen; any updates ?

hey WydOpen; any updates ?

Unfortunately, no. I spoke with them a week ago and they haven't been able to get their hands on a manual transmission Mustang with a navigation unit from their local dealership. She said the salesman is expecting another order of cars this week or next. As soon as they get their hands on one they will email me an update for the software.

I'll keep you guys posted and I might even give them a call on Wednesday. I'm eagerly awaiting an update as well as I'd like to get my almost $300 investment working!

• 2 weeks later...

Another update. I got a call saying they obtained a test car and they are working on the reprogramming/update. Said it may take a couple more weeks, still.

Stay tuned...

Any news yet?

sounds really good and would like to order one, just need to know if it will work or not.

I'm sure you are really upset since you already bought one.

Thanks

Called them just now to get a status on this and they said someone will call me back a little later.

The waiting continues...

I'm on board. This will be definitely one of the first mod for my car. Hoping/praying to have the car by July. They should have this worked out by then. That is one of the features I loves about my TT 03' cobra was my system, I was able to play dvd's while I was driving.

I love the size of the screens on the Shelby's its big. When I test drove a 2010 I brought a dvd and it looked so good. This is the mod I was hoping for, I am excited.

Great find, and thanks for all the info WydOpen...... :beerchug:

Mulanzo...no new updates. They never called me back. I'm going to call again Monday or Tuesday. All I know is that they were able to secure a car with a manual transmission and factory navigation and that they started working on rewriting the software. In their defense, they did say it might take several weeks. I'm no software engineer, so I don't know what all is involved.

When I purchased the harness, I also purchased the camera harness. Factory backup camera was not an option on the 2010's like it is for the 2011's. I will be running an aftermarket license plate bracket camera front and rear.

Yes, I'll be writing up a step-by-step install thread with pictures as soon as Coastal emails me the software update. The wiring harness is just sitting in my backseat at the moment.

Stay tuned... :lurk:

Mulanzo...no new updates. They never called me back. I'm going to call again Monday or Tuesday. All I know is that they were able to secure a car with a manual transmission and factory navigation and that they started working on rewriting the software. In their defense, they did say it might take several weeks. I'm no software engineer, so I don't know what all is involved.

When I purchased the harness, I also purchased the camera harness. Factory backup camera was not an option on the 2010's like it is for the 2011's. I will be running an aftermarket license plate bracket camera front and rear.

Yes, I'll be writing up a step-by-step install thread with pictures as soon as Coastal emails me the software update. The wiring harness is just sitting in my backseat at the moment.

Stay tuned... :lurk:

Is the camera wireless or do you have to run a wire to the camera?

Hard wire using two Boyo VTL375 license plate cameras. I ran a VTL300 on my '07 F150 King Ranch and it worked great and was super easy to install.

Internet search...

vtl375.jpg

Camera mounted on my old truck...

img0859ak5.jpg

View from head unit (this was a Clarion)...

img0862uf6.jpg

I dont believe that the back up cam is a option for the 2011 GT500's. I have seen it installed on some of the 10' Gt models, but not on the GT500's. It's kinda funny you would think Ford's best vehicle would have all the options available to any of there other lower models.

If it was an option I would have ordered it. Another thing that the GT500 didnt get was the rear fender scoops.

Alright, I got a call back from them a little while ago. They fixed the software and it is working. However, they want to continue test/use it on the "beta" car for a few weeks and make sure everything is good to go before releasing the software.

APRIL 25th the update/fix will be released on their site and available to download. I asked if they would release the update to me and allow me to at least start using the product and was told no. I had to wait until it was released on their site.

So there it is, I'll wait until the 25th and post results once I have it installed on my car.

When it becomes available, you'll see an update on this webpage...

Coastal E Tech USB Update Page

Archived