TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm so glad I bought this car!

blueshawk

I move down to AR Sunday! Though the SGT will stay here in Chicago till sometime in April. Looking at the weather though I am soooooo tempted but can't see using it as my daily driver until I can ship the other cars down. banghead.gif

petting.gif

x100. The Shelby GT followed the path of the original 1965 GT-350 so closely that it's hard not to make the connection. Both started life in a similar way, went to a Shelby facility for similar mods, had complaints about "rough riding", had complaints about the hoods (early Shelby hoods tended to warp and SGTs with the hood scoop issue), neither are the fastest cars made that year but both handle better than the higher horsepower muscle cars, and both have a tasteful looks. Both are great drivers, get a lot of attention. The new GT-350 is awesome and I would love to own one, but not at the expense of my SGT which I drive everywhere and is now set up exactly as I like it, AND I still get 24 mpg. So the SGT may not be called GT-350, but the bloodline is clearly there.

X another 100.

Don't forget the GT-H connection, too.

I had an '04 Mach 1 that I bought new. Always loved the original Shelby mustangs. Knew I would never be able to afford an original.

Then the GT500 was announced. Hmmm interesting, but still out of my price range (2 kids at college, etc. etc.)

Then the GT-Hertz was announced. WOW!! I was able to rent one on a business trip to Burbank CA. WOW, again. Even got me thinking about an auto tranny. Just press the right pedal and let it figure out when to shift!!

It was Feb '07 and I had some extra time, so I drove it around Beverly Hills and even Rodeo Ave B) . MANY stares and thumbs up!! EVERYBODY wanted to race me :lol:

THEN they announced the S-GT. My fantasy over many years of going down to the local Ford dealer and buying a NEW Shelby came true!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

It's been my daily driver for almost 3 years, now!

Love ever mile :rockon: !!!!

Hi All,

If I have attached the pics correctly they share my purchase. The neastest thing about it is that when I left home my wife asked me to trade my gas guzzling Ford Lightening truck and I told her the only car I would trade that truck for was a shelby. Little did she know that is exactly what I had in mind as we drove out of the drive.

Like some I found the added dealer cost of the GT500 way out of line and while I could have purchased the car it simply pissed me off about the price increase they asked for on the GT500 cars so I passed on the GT500. The dealer said they had a 2007 GT that had just come in ( this was right at the time the 2008 SGT cars were arriving) and that they would allow me the ford rebate on the sticker price if I would trade right now and not think about it over night. ( you know the dealer pressure sales crap) I looked at my son (he is 17) he gave me that lets do it dad smile and I said lets deal. Travis (my son) took pictures of the car as I drove it off the show room floor. 13 miles on the car when i cranked it up. Since I have 11K, added the whipple with I/C, 410 gears that I love and other than that I have driven the car the way it should be driven and that is fast and hard. I too really like the feel and perfomance of the car and suspect that the next owner of this car will be my son in a few years. I would like to graduate up to a super snake one day but I am plenty happy with the SGT and the fact that it is the only new shelby mustang produced by ford, shipped to shelby for mods and then back to the dealership for sale to the public. (sa previously mentioned , the same as the GT350 cars were in 1965/66) That in it self may prove to be of the greatest value one day for those that hang on to these cars looking for the return value. Me, I'll drive the heck out of it, maintain and service the car like it is gold and then drive the heck out of it again. I'll let my son be concerned about the future prices.

I hope the pictures are attached okay, if not I may try again.

Thanks to all for sharing.

-Billy

Correction to my statements; FiaCobra is correct in that the KR would be same as the SGT in that the car was built, modified and sold same as the SGT. Matter of fact the KR is the one car that I would trade my SGT for if the wife would allow however that question to her has been answered with a re-sounding NO, not until kids get out of college. So by the time they get out I'll have enough saved (I hope) to buy the used KR or go for the big dog "SuperSnake".

Thanks for sharing FIACobra.

-Billy

Correction to my statements; FiaCobra is correct in that the KR would be same as the SGT in that the car was built, modified and sold same as the SGT. Matter of fact the KR is the one car that I would trade my SGT for if the wife would allow however that question to her has been answered with a re-sounding NO, not until kids get out of college. So by the time they get out I'll have enough saved (I hope) to buy the used KR or go for the big dog "SuperSnake".

Thanks for sharing FIACobra.

-Billy

Wouldn't the new GT350 also fit that description? Just wondering...... headscratch.gif

John

Great stories from everyone, so here's mine. Back in October 09 I went to the local Ford lot and test drove a 2010 GT, it was nice but sitting next to my 07 California Special it couldn't measure up. My wife jokingly asked the salesman about "that blue one". Of course I knew it was out of my price range but then the salesman said we could get it for about the same price as the 2010 and it was on. After sitting outside on the lot for more than a year it was in pretty sad shape with mildewed stripes and a missing "Y' from the decklid but it was still a NEW Shelby GT. They agreed to fix all the problems and after several negotiating trips I left them the CS and drove home the SGT. What a great car!!! I have loved every mile and am proud to own and drive a piece of automotive history! Like so many others I never thought I would own a Shelby and sometimes I still can't believe when I step into the garage and there she sits!! I believe in the long run these will be historic cars much like the first GT 350s and later the GT 500s. Now I just wish the weather would warm up so the top could come down! Have fun everybody!!

Great stories from everyone, so here's mine. Back in October 09 I went to the local Ford lot and test drove a 2010 GT, it was nice but sitting next to my 07 California Special it couldn't measure up. My wife jokingly asked the salesman about "that blue one". Of course I knew it was out of my price range but then the salesman said we could get it for about the same price as the 2010 and it was on. After sitting outside on the lot for more than a year it was in pretty sad shape with mildewed stripes and a missing "Y' from the decklid but it was still a NEW Shelby GT. They agreed to fix all the problems and after several negotiating trips I left them the CS and drove home the SGT. What a great car!!! I have loved every mile and am proud to own and drive a piece of automotive history! Like so many others I never thought I would own a Shelby and sometimes I still can't believe when I step into the garage and there she sits!! I believe in the long run these will be historic cars much like the first GT 350s and later the GT 500s. Now I just wish the weather would warm up so the top could come down! Have fun everybody!!

That's a great story. Funny how sometimes you run into something without even looking. Enjoy the fastest color !!

my purchase was kind of an "impulse" thing.....had ordered a new Challenger SRT8 in Feb '09 & was waiting for months...then the whole "economy" thing happened...was pissed at Chrysler for not building my car, and pissed at gm & chrysler "both" for taking gov't $$$$, so I decided to stop by the local Ford dealer to check out the stangs(last one I owned was a '89 GT).....sat in a Roush 427R & loved it(especially the nice little short-throw shifter), so I went home & started looking for "special" mustangs(on the computer of course)....that nite, found a '07 white SGT with only 300 miles & a cool set of 20" razors, and for a great price!!.....the rest is history!!!....the funny thing is that "6 months later" when Chrysler(Fiat??) decided to finally build & ship my SRT8, I bought that one too!! :happy feet:

Archived