TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Encounter with a BMW 745i

Dubstang

I was out driving on the freeway yesterday when a late model (2009 or 2010) BMW 745i pulled up next to me and kept jumping on and off the gas. He clearly had aftermarket exhaust on his car, but honestly I was shocked that he wanted to screw around. We were already doing about 75, so i dropped from 6th to 4th and gunned it, passed him, looked back and he was right there in my rear view mirror. I pulled slightly ahead of him, but was giving it everything I've got - which is about 560 rwhp. Anyway, by the time I hit 125 almost 130 (still in 4th gear - but tacked out), he was pretty close behind me. I slowed down because a) I was going way too fast and never ever race on the street and B) because I was freaked out when I realized I was going that fast. He pulled up next to me, gave a wave and then took off again. Right behind him were a couple more 745i's, all with aftermarket wheels. Not a clue on the mods though.

Has anyone ever come across a 745i and if so, is it typical for their owners to mod them or are they simply fast cars out of the box from the factory?

Needless to say I was shocked and impressed and pissed off all at the same time. I should have owned that guy.

I was out driving on the freeway yesterday when a late model (2009 or 2010) BMW 745i pulled up next to me and kept jumping on and off the gas. He clearly had aftermarket exhaust on his car, but honestly I was shocked that he wanted to screw around. We were already doing about 75, so i dropped from 6th to 4th and gunned it, passed him, looked back and he was right there in my rear view mirror. I pulled slightly ahead of him, but was giving it everything I've got - which is about 560 rwhp. Anyway, by the time I hit 125 almost 130 (still in 4th gear - but tacked out), he was pretty close behind me. I slowed down because a) I was going way too fast and never ever race on the street and B) because I was freaked out when I realized I was going that fast. He pulled up next to me, gave a wave and then took off again. Right behind him were a couple more 745i's, all with aftermarket wheels. Not a clue on the mods though.

Has anyone ever come across a 745i and if so, is it typical for their owners to mod them or are they simply fast cars out of the box from the factory?

Needless to say I was shocked and impressed and pissed off all at the same time. I should have owned that guy.

I don't know that much about a 745i but I think you need more power! :shift: Time to look at a Tvs, KB, or Whipple! Then it's fun running from a roll!

I don't know that much about a 745i but I think you need more power! :shift: Time to look at a Tvs, KB, or Whipple! Then it's fun running from a roll!

Ha! I know. I probably do. However I just recently added the pulley, tune and CAI and so of course think my car is super fast right now. Certainly it is over stock. My plan is for a TVS in the next year or two or as soon as my budget for the GT500, or should I say money pit, allows.

KEY WORD "BEHIND ME"

Not sure of the 745i :headscratch:

My Brother In Law has a M5...

Love's screwing with Stangs

M5

Engine

Liters/cylinders/valves per cylinder 5.0/V-10/4

Displacement 4999 cu cm

Bore/Stroke 3.62/2.96 in

Nominal output hp/rpm 500/7750

Max. torque lb-ft/rpm 383/6100

Compression ratio 12.0 :1

750i Sedan

Starting at $82,000 MSRP

4.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 engine with TwinPower Turbo technology

400 horsepower

Rear-wheel drive

22 mpg hwy*

Don't feel bad ... he spent over 90K after paper work and was on a waiting list. Bad thing with the Shelby's might be depreciation. The BMW holds its value and has a usable back seat. Drop another 10K and you should do better.

KEY WORD "BEHIND ME"

Not sure of the 745i :headscratch:

My Brother In Law has a M5...

Love's screwing with Stangs

M5

Engine

Liters/cylinders/valves per cylinder 5.0/V-10/4

Displacement 4999 cu cm

Bore/Stroke 3.62/2.96 in

Nominal output hp/rpm 500/7750

Max. torque lb-ft/rpm 383/6100

Compression ratio 12.0 :1

750i Sedan

Starting at $82,000 MSRP

4.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 engine with TwinPower Turbo technology

400 horsepower

Rear-wheel drive

22 mpg hwy*

Don't feel bad ... he spent over 90K after paper work and was on a waiting list. Bad thing with the Shelby's might be depreciation. The BMW holds its value and has a usable back seat. Drop another 10K and you should do better.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Yeah unfortunately another $10k won't happen anytime soon. We both live in such an expensive area, I'm just happy to have a Shelby at all. One of these weekends we need to get together. Maybe next?

745's are a naturally fast car for a sedan of course, most of the people that own them don't care about how fast their car is or know much a bout their own car they just know it cost a lot.. but you may have run across some one that has to much money and decided to do some little mods to his bmw but he probably has a ford GT in storage :) ... one thing i do know about the 745's is that they run into more problems than the Shelby's do with mechanics and other electronic.. their are a lot of lemons when it comes to those bmws.. and a big price to pay to have them fixed

Ha! I know. I probably do. However I just recently added the pulley, tune and CAI and so of course think my car is super fast right now. Certainly it is over stock. My plan is for a TVS in the next year or two or as soon as my budget for the GT500, or should I say money pit, allows.

Ha! Ha! money pit is right ! But it's fun.

Don't know anything about the 745s but those M5s are top-end cars. Not good for your ego to start against one of them from a high speed roll. About the time you're running out of breath, they're laughing and pulling away. Best to start from a dig where you have a huge torque advantage.

I was out driving on the freeway yesterday when a late model (2009 or 2010) BMW 745i pulled up next to me and kept jumping on and off the gas. He clearly had aftermarket exhaust on his car, but honestly I was shocked that he wanted to screw around. We were already doing about 75, so i dropped from 6th to 4th and gunned it, passed him, looked back and he was right there in my rear view mirror. I pulled slightly ahead of him, but was giving it everything I've got - which is about 560 rwhp. Anyway, by the time I hit 125 almost 130 (still in 4th gear - but tacked out), he was pretty close behind me. I slowed down because a) I was going way too fast and never ever race on the street and cool.gif because I was freaked out when I realized I was going that fast. He pulled up next to me, gave a wave and then took off again. Right behind him were a couple more 745i's, all with aftermarket wheels. Not a clue on the mods though.

Where in the traffic clogged S. F. Bay Area on a Wednesday can you even find an open stretch of freeway with enough room to wind it up to 125mph with a trio of 745's in pursuit? Must be a section of freeway on I-680 (Alamo to Pleasanton, or Fremont to San Jose), Hwy 24 (Walnut Creek to Orinda), I-280 (Cupertino to Daly City... my favorite), or somewhere on Hwy 101 in Marin County near Novato (plenty of BMW's)? Traffic around here sucks!

The 745's are fast for a sedan, but out of the box, even at a high speed roll, you shouldn't have had any problem with him. If it was the base model, then it was definitely modded to the hilt, considering how much power you're putting down to the ground. However, they do build a turbo V12 model of the 7 series that will give any Cobra a good run for it's money. If I remember correctly, they're making around 550 HP from the factory. Either way, I'm certain that your tail lights were the first he had spent any time behind in a long while.

Ken

Where in the traffic clogged S. F. Bay Area on a Wednesday can you even find an open stretch of freeway with enough room to wind it up to 125mph with a trio of 745's in pursuit? Must be a section of freeway on I-680 (Alamo to Pleasanton, or Fremont to San Jose), Hwy 24 (Walnut Creek to Orinda), I-280 (Cupertino to Daly City... my favorite), or somewhere on Hwy 101 in Marin County near Novato (plenty of BMW's)? Traffic around here sucks!

California is the only place where 125mph is possible in rush hour... bumper to bumper.... :hysterical:

Ahhh... joking of course. ;)

The regional director at my office in Ohio had one when I worked there, and I had to do some research on the car one day because he drove past me one day. I was just thinking "man... he kinda got on it..." :headscratch: I came to find that for a huge fat car, they can be decently quick! And especially the new ones with all the technology they're throwing under the hoods, it's incredible.

You guessed it. I-680 from Alamo to Pleasanton. Yes, the traffic here totally sucks. I was actually heading to a meeting around 2pm. Was pretty light then.

I gotta tell ya. I have a BMW 745Li and they are pretty dam fast for a 5500lb car. Don't let the looks fool ya.

My GT500 will stay out front, but these 7s are nimble for the size they are.

They really are a computerized abomination. Car has over 100 fiberoptically connected modules /computers

Has a super sweet phat ride and is very comfortable. They can be testy at times, but you just gotta keep

one think in mind. "it all bolts together". I actually have done quite a bit of work on mine.

Upgrades are from Dinan, but are very expensive. CAI, exhaust, and other typical aftermarket parts are around, but

the aftermarket is not as active as they are as with our Shelbys.

Would I ever purchase another...hell no.

I told the admiral, who drives the 745, its days are numbered and to make way for the Taurus SHO Twin turbo

th_BMW745Li002-1.jpg

th_BMW745Li003.jpg

th_BMW745Li005.jpg

IS

I gotta tell ya. I have a BMW 745Li and they are pretty dam fast for a 5500lb car. Don't let the looks fool ya.

My GT500 will stay out front, but these 7s are nimble for the size they are.

They really are a computerized abomination. Car has over 100 fiberoptically connected modules /computers

Has a super sweet phat ride and is very comfortable. They can be testy at times, but you just gotta keep

one think in mind. "it all bolts together". I actually have done quite a bit of work on mine.

Upgrades are from Dinan, but are very expensive. CAI, exhaust, and other typical aftermarket parts are around, but

the aftermarket is not as active as they are as with our Shelbys.

Would I ever purchase another...hell no.

I told the admiral, who drives the 745, its days are numbered and to make way for the Taurus SHO Twin turbo

th_BMW745Li002-1.jpg

th_BMW745Li003.jpg

th_BMW745Li005.jpg

IS

I have a 2000 540i with a Dinan s3 package. vortech supercharged. I have surprised more then a few cars while traveling on 280. To tell the truth I will go after most anything with that car.

Yeah the BMWs have a better chance at 75mph, from a dig you would have seen his car become smaller and smaller in your rearview.

I recently had a BMW try to "race" me.

I honestly couldn't tell you what the model number was, it was one of the newer bodystyles.

Anyway, I noticed he was "racing" me at about 35 mph. I needed to get over into his lane, and this was just after a red light, I gave the Shelby a little gas thinking I would be able to get in front and over then noticed the BMW guy was still there.

THEN I realized he was racing hehe.

So I dropped the car down into 3rd and watched him disappear.

Got over into his lane and he stayed FAR back from me... it was kind of ridiculous I thought. I imagine he thought he had a chance to beat me or something... that was why he was doing that. I don't know.

I've got a CAI and that's it so a TVS or Whipple ouch.

Yeah the BMWs have a better chance at 75mph, from a dig you would have seen his car become smaller and smaller in your rearview.

I recently had a BMW try to "race" me.

I honestly couldn't tell you what the model number was, it was one of the newer bodystyles.

Anyway, I noticed he was "racing" me at about 35 mph. I needed to get over into his lane, and this was just after a red light, I gave the Shelby a little gas thinking I would be able to get in front and over then noticed the BMW guy was still there.

THEN I realized he was racing hehe.

So I dropped the car down into 3rd and watched him disappear.

Got over into his lane and he stayed FAR back from me... it was kind of ridiculous I thought. I imagine he thought he had a chance to beat me or something... that was why he was doing that. I don't know.

I've got a CAI and that's it so a TVS or Whipple ouch.

I'm sure after you blasted off, he kinda backed off. Car is way too heavy for off the line acceleration as compared to our GT500.

As far as sedans go. its a good performer. The back seat area is like a small apartment. Still rather have a 2010 SHO.

IS

Archived