TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Numbers for the side of the car

johnrehder

Hey,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for car numbers for the doors? I need some for my Auto Cross events and such. I have a quote from a sign shop but i think its high. 140.00 for 4 numbers 6" x 18" magnetic.

Hey,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for car numbers for the doors? I need some for my Auto Cross events and such. I have a quote from a sign shop but i think its high. 140.00 for 4 numbers 6" x 18" magnetic.

I had four 6" x 9" door numbers on magnets done last summer for $100.........ready same day.......so your price looks ok to me.

Then again I was in a pinch and needed them same day cause the shop I ordered them from a month in advance screwed the pooch

and couldnt deliver on time. so that would have been a factor in my price as well. dont know.

That sounds like robbery !!! I got both magnets done for $60.00 at my local sign/graphics shop.

he is getting FOUR numbers for $140...you paid $60 for TWO.......where is exactly is the robbery......in the $10.00 each?

:hysterical:

and yours look a lot smaller than 6" x 18"..........looks like you got robbed!

:hysterical2::hysterical2:

Hey,

Why not just use 3M blue or some other color painter's tape?

A number of clubs/events provide their own vinyl numbers at the event based on the run group you are running or their own numbering system, making your fancy numbers moot. For example some groups require three to four inch numbers in the front and rear windows instead of door numbers to make it easier for the corner workers to identify the cars. Generally they will let you run with your door numbers but you will have to add their numbers as well.

Other groups have a permanent number list where members pay to have a specific number. If you show up with your chosen number and a club member has it, you are out of luck and back to using painter’s tape or otherwise modifying your numbers.

Also, depending on the particular number, magnetic numbers often need tape to hold them down along the leading edge to keep them from blowing off. There is nothing worse than spending good money on a cool set of numbers only to have them blow off at the end of the back straight and then run over by everyone in your run group. If you get them back they will be junk but chances are you will never see them again.

Use the money you would have spent on the numbers for some driving gloves or driving shoes. Personally I would opt for the shoes. I’ve had many students driving with thick soled athletic shoes that have difficulty operating the pedals due to clunky shoes.

I thought about the blue painters tape too. My Vista Blue paint kinda blends in a bit. The group I'm runnin with on sunday is the SE atlantic SCCA group. I told them I would run number 54, intersting that number is open for registration and permanant assignment. I've never given much thought to driving shoes. Whats the big advantage to them?

Why not just use 3M blue or some other color painter's tape?

A number of clubs/events provide their own vinyl numbers at the event based on the run group you are running or their own numbering system, making your fancy numbers moot. For example some groups require three to four inch numbers in the front and rear windows instead of door numbers to make it easier for the corner workers to identify the cars. Generally they will let you run with your door numbers but you will have to add their numbers as well.

Other groups have a permanent number list where members pay to have a specific number. If you show up with your chosen number and a club member has it, you are out of luck and back to using painter’s tape or otherwise modifying your numbers.

Also, depending on the particular number, magnetic numbers often need tape to hold them down along the leading edge to keep them from blowing off. There is nothing worse than spending good money on a cool set of numbers only to have them blow off at the end of the back straight and then run over by everyone in your run group. If you get them back they will be junk but chances are you will never see them again.

Use the money you would have spent on the numbers for some driving gloves or driving shoes. Personally I would opt for the shoes. I’ve had many students driving with thick soled athletic shoes that have difficulty operating the pedals due to clunky shoes.

Hey,

I have dealt with izoomgraphics.com on several occasions. The guy that runs it is named Sean and is great to deal with. Nice product and his turn around time is real quick.

He specializes in autocross / road race applications, so he can suggest applications that will meet your particular club's hight / font / etc requirements. He even offers full number sets in the event you run different numbers at different clubs.

Just make sure you look at the right product before ordering as he also offers low stick vinyl and static cling (for non metallic cars) which are less money than the magnetics.

Good Luck,

Ron

I realized my original size would be too big so I ordered a pair of 12" diameter signs from Edecals. Thanks!!

These look to be a good price... hope this helps.

http://www.edecals.com/raceg/index.htm

I have dealt with izoomgraphics.com on several occasions. The guy that runs it is named Sean and is great to deal with. Nice product and his turn around time is real quick.

He specializes in autocross / road race applications, so he can suggest applications that will meet your particular club's hight / font / etc requirements. He even offers full number sets in the event you run different numbers at different clubs.

Just make sure you look at the right product before ordering as he also offers low stick vinyl and static cling (for non metallic cars) which are less money than the magnetics.

Good Luck,

Ron

I have also had great luck with izoomgraphics on two occassions. Sean is a great guy, gets it done and gets it to you very fast. I have a set of numbers in a meatball and then bought three digits that I can now arrange at the track to assure that I do not duplicate someone's number.

Jim

I have also had great luck with izoomgraphics on two occassions. Sean is a great guy, gets it done and gets it to you very fast. I have a set of numbers in a meatball and then bought three digits that I can now arrange at the track to assure that I do not duplicate someone's number.

Jim

+1 on Izoom

I also bought magnetic and some cling ons. I put a little piece of blue tape on the leading edge of the magnetic to make sure it stays on.

When you drive the fastest color you have to keep things in place. :hysterical:

The thin soles offer better pedal feel and they are aren't boxy like most athletic shoes so there is less of a chance hitting the gas and brake at the same time by mistake.

+1 Another tip - don't do a lot of walking in driving shoes. They do not have the support needed to walk around. It won't kill you but you may well end up with feet that are hurting a bit.

Jim

Archived