TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Strut Bar for Whipple Installation

Hi everyone,

I simply wanted to keep my hood with the whipple install and have the strut bar as well. So....

I am working with a few people in making a strut bar that will fit our car with the whipple installed. We are going to be doing a couple of different types. 1st one will be all steel (may be 3 piece and welded and/or bolted) and the 2nd all aluminum. All aluminum when machined is stroner than steel, lighter and looks better. IMO It would be 3 pieces welded with a good finish.

The guy doing this has all the new machinery (3 axis computer programed) to work the aluminum. I have seen his custom work and it is great. Matter of fact he made pieces for Ford on the Cobra Jet cars. He is mentioning he can make the aluminum with custom engraving and cutouts as desired. Kind of like the s/n of the car etc. I do not think we could sell these if we engrave Shelby however if we engrave the Shelby plus s/n for one off team-members only that may be okay. I would not want to do anything wrong here or mass sell anything as that is not my primary business and at the same time I am hardheaded enough if I get preached too by someone on this forum about this I'll make a 1000 of them and sell on ebay and let the lawyers settle it.

Once we get mine fabricated I'll put this on the forum. We are expected the all aluminum to cost around $500.

I understand anyone would want to see the product prior to comitting to a purchase so I'll make sure mine is very visible in the pictures and with good description and weight numbers.

If anyone is interested please rely so I can get a feel for how many may be sold. That would potentially cut the cost.

I figure to have this completed over the next 30 to 45 days pending decent weather to test on my car as we make changes for final configuration. Prototype model is in proccess as I write this.

Take care,

-Billy

I am interested to see how it turns out. A few people here have tried to make one before, unsuccessfully as far as I can remember.

I will for sure post the strut bar. If it fails I'll post that as well for learning curves for others.

-billy

Shelby N.Y,

Not to change the topic however i would like to know the size and backspacing of your razor wheels. These look good on your car and i am ready to order a set and struggling with the size and backspacing. I would like to fill up that huge rear wheel well.

Thanks Much,

-Billy

Forgive me if this has already been asked somewhere. Can you make the KR cross brace fit or the GT500 brace if you lower the engine? I have a Saleen Series VI setup but I am considering switching it out for a Whipple.

There are definitely a lot of folks here interested. (Myself included) The @ $500 is way too high, though...

I can't remeber where I saw it on here, but FR is supposed to be coming out soon with a bar that looks exactly like the take-off from the SGT for around $125-150. I'm waiting, but would still like to see what you come up with, and if the costs come down, I will buy.

Dan

It's been done. I have an image on my phone but cannot move it to the forum while on the phone.

EL Shelby,

If you could shoot a pic to the forum that would be great.

As far as lowering the engine, i have heard that this will work but I'm not really clear on this. Lethal Performance on our forum sells these lowering mounts. If my efforts for the strut bar fail to meet the objective I may try to lower the engine if it will work on our cars. I do have a concern over what lowereing the engine does to the drive train when stressed and since the whipple install my drive train is getting stressed with lots of smiles.

-Billy

I will for sure post the strut bar. If it fails I'll post that as well for learning curves for others.

-billy

Shelby N.Y,

Not to change the topic however i would like to know the size and backspacing of your razor wheels. These look good on your car and i am ready to order a set and struggling with the size and backspacing. I would like to fill up that huge rear wheel well.

Thanks Much,

-Billy

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. The Razors on my car are 20 inch with a 6 inch backspace and a 24mm off set. make sure if you go with this setup you get metal hub centric rings 72.62/70.32 if you don't use the rings you will get wobble at lower speeds. (0-30 mph)

EL Shelby,

If you could shoot a pic to the forum that would be great.

As far as lowering the engine, i have heard that this will work but I'm not really clear on this. Lethal Performance on our forum sells these lowering mounts. If my efforts for the strut bar fail to meet the objective I may try to lower the engine if it will work on our cars. I do have a concern over what lowereing the engine does to the drive train when stressed and since the whipple install my drive train is getting stressed with lots of smiles.

-Billy

post-24566-126742557912_thumb.jpg

post-24566-126742557912_thumb.jpg

Archived