TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby has some nerve to charge so much!!!

philip 87

Hi MM. Thanks alot. My stripes I can live with as they are.I do not want to paint them on either. My frustration stems from the stripes being so stained here and there. These cars are young and one would think they would hold up a lot better than they are. My call to Shelby initially was simply that they will cost me $800 for over the top stripes and $1000 for the whole kit. WOW!!! The GT-H cars stripes are not covered under warranty.....so I was told.

I only wanted to replace the stripes on the front bumper. Appreciate your response as well as other TS members......Thanks....Philip

The stripes were covered under a generous 3/36 warranty. Many manufacturers only cover cosmetic items, like stripes, for 12/12. Your car is now 4 years old and out of warranty. I would think owners would be happy that they can still get factory replacement stripes for such a limited production vehicle.

Steve

The stripes were covered under a generous 3/36 warranty. Many manufacturers only cover cosmetic items, like stripes, for 12/12. Your car is now 4 years old and out of warranty. I would think owners would be happy that they can still get factory replacement stripes for such a limited production vehicle.

Steve

With respect.You are wrong. The stripes were not covered under warranty for the GT-H.

I tried several times to address the stripes under warranty and was told by SHELBY and FORD that they are not covered once HERTZ sells the car.

Now,if you are right....Then SHELBY should let the left hand know what the right hand is doing.

Keep in mind......I am a SHELBY supporter like you never seen but the stripes used were of poor quality and should be offered to it's loyal customers at a more reasonable price. That's simply good business. And being able to Still buy stripes for such a limited car is a nice thing for sure but let's not forget that the car is 4 years old! This holds true for the Shelby GT models as well. They are younger and the stripes have been a real problem. No need to defend Shelby. I realize you were work at SAI. I am loyal to the brand forever.......Philip

With respect.You are wrong. The stripes were not covered under warranty for the GT-H.

I tried several times to address the stripes under warranty and was told by SHELBY and FORD that they are not covered once HERTZ sells the car.

Now,if you are right....Then SHELBY should let the left hand know what the right hand is doing.

Keep in mind......I am a SHELBY supporter like you never seen but the stripes used were of poor quality and should be offered to it's loyal customers at a more reasonable price. That's simply good business. And being able to Still buy stripes for such a limited car is a nice thing for sure but let's not forget that the car is 4 years old! This holds true for the Shelby GT models as well. They are younger and the stripes have been a real problem. No need to defend Shelby. I realize you were work at SAI. I am loyal to the brand forever.......Philip

Yes, I have to chime in also. I tried to replace stripes through Ford and also Shelby in October 2007. No luck.

Yes, I have to chime in also. I tried to replace stripes through Ford and also Shelby in October 2007. No luck.

Hi Harald. Thanks for your reply. You know, I am not gonna replace them. I can live with them. I was just making a point about their condition, age and price for a replacement set. I did try several times with no luck at all regarding GT-H stripes.

Anyway.......Hows your car? I understand you put on a Supercharger!!!! I am jealous...with a happy heart jealous.

As you may know, I was contemplating selling my GT-H but I CAN'T DO IT! I do love the car. And not because of it's limited production either.

It is my opinion that the GT-H is the most striking of all the new age Shelby's.

Very unique and lot's of fun. I know that altering such a rare car outside of Shelby is DUMB, but I am still on the fence about installing a 5 or 6 speed.

I did get prices for the install and it would be as "factory installed from FORD" and let me tell you "IT MAKES NO SENSE". The cost to do it right is $10K.

I don't think it will happen............BUT....I have been known to do stupid things sometimes....So say's the Mrs.

Anyway...Good Luck with your car and look forward to talking again hear on the forums.......Philip 87

PS. Maybe this should be on another tread but I have a question and could not find a topic here about this.

My question is this....... I have noticed some oil on the garage floor under the Shelby in 2 spots, front and rear of engine. I mean tiny spots. Almost like oil sweat if there is such a thing.

The dipstick shows it FULL still and I cannot see very well where it's coming from. Is this common with other 4.6 motors? Any input?

Thanks again......Philip 087

Just a couple of thoughts on the GTH stripes. The concerns about the stripes have been pretty well discussed on the forum previously. Having worked for Hertz for 25 years and watching how the GTHs were washed / maintained / and treated by Hertz customers, I can assure you the stripe failure is far more than a defective product. Hertz uses an industrial tire cleaner applied by a very brisk brush. When the cars came in very dirty, the garageman ( car cleaners) would often use the tire cleaner on the PAINTED SURFACES of the car to save time. Result, almost instantly dulled stripes and often dulled paint that required a buffing. In addition the front and rear bumper facia stripes were damaged torn by Hertz employees "bumpering" the cars when space was tight on the lot. This is especially true in stated that had the front license plate which would tear into the rear stripe on the next car in line. I can't tell you how many times I witnessed Hertz customers drag their luggage over the rear bumper cover, or balance their suitcase on the bumper, lay them on the trunk, or simply toss their belongings on the roof of the car. It got so bad that Hertz quit replacing the bumper cover stripes on many of the 2007 convertibles. Vinyl stripes just don't hold up to much abuse. I also have a 2007 SGT which was a leftover car at Greenway Ford in Orlando. Brand new, but set outside for 8 months before I bought it. Stripes were ruined already, so I just had them painted on. I think you will find that many Shelby Forum members still have the original stripes, which while fragile, will hold up if extra care is given in maintaining them. I believe that once you re-stripe your GTH you will be pleased with how long they will last, or if you plan on driving the car daily (or the car will sit outside) then I would paint the stripes. My SGT is a daily driver, sits outside, and after 18,000 miles are still perfect. Hope this information is helpful to you. regards, Larry Miller

+1000!

Add to that that even well cared for most stripe material comes with a manufactures warranty of 4-5 years and that's when cared for!

If I had a GTH I think I would paint the stripes on using the paint from the 60's H cars which is available from any number of Mustang/Shelby parts retailers. I think it's a great color that really pops! BTW: a good paint shop can stencil the side stripes too for a really nice look.

After pricing replacement GT-H stripes with Shelby ($800 just for the "over the top stripes", no labor $$$$ to take the old stripes off, apply the new stripes, etc.) or paint the stripes on ($3000 to remove old vinyl stripes, spray on new stripes) or go with a very, very slightly off vinyl gold stripes that could easily be replaced by section if any one section got damaged ($900 including the labourous removal of the old stripes) I elected to go with the latter option. A local vinyl shop did an outstanding job, still has the template of the original stripes in their computer if I need any one section replaced. I was having problems with going back to Shelby for another complete stripe kit at $800 a pop (which it sounds like now aren't even availalble) if I just needed one section replaced.

But then again I'm the same guy who put the stripes on the lower front chin under the bumper, added 4.10 gears, Nitto drag radials and a line lock, will soon be adding a 3000 stall torque converter, long tube headers, high flow cats, under drive pulleys, etc.

To each his own with the car.........

BTW, I love my GT-H, am a "Shelby loyalist," but want to enjoy it while I'm still around, not saving it for my kids to enjoy after I'm gone.

post-10784-126758653932_thumb.jpg

post-10784-126758670637_thumb.jpg

post-10784-126758653932_thumb.jpg

post-10784-126758670637_thumb.jpg

After pricing replacement GT-H stripes with Shelby ($800 just for the "over the top stripes", no labor $$$$ to take the old stripes off, apply the new stripes, etc.) or paint the stripes on ($3000 to remove old vinyl stripes, spray on new stripes) or go with a very, very slightly off vinyl gold stripes that could easily be replaced by section if any one section got damaged ($900 including the labourous removal of the old stripes) I elected to go with the latter option. A local vinyl shop did an outstanding job, still has the template of the original stripes in their computer if I need any one section replaced. I was having problems with going back to Shelby for another complete stripe kit at $800 a pop (which it sounds like now aren't even availalble) if I just needed one section replaced.

But then again I'm the same guy who put the stripes on the lower front chin under the bumper, added 4.10 gears, Nitto drag radials and a line lock, will soon be adding a 3000 stall torque converter, long tube headers, high flow cats, under drive pulleys, etc.

To each his own with the car.........

BTW, I love my GT-H, am a "Shelby loyalist," but want to enjoy it while I'm still around, not saving it for my kids to enjoy after I'm gone.

Love the last part of your post "but want to enjoy it while I'm still around, not saving it for my kids...) Great post. I bought one of the Shelby executive GTHs and instead of having it shipped to Florida, I decided to drive it back, 37 hours of driving, but an experience one won't forget. My SGT is driven daily and I pile on all the miles I can, it's fun to drive and still looks new. No "garage queens" in my household.

Steve

Unfortunately from my experience with trying on a brand new 2010, your incorrect. Now I'm sure there are different variables which you maybe right (like complete material fail), but as far as some fairly minor to moderate imperfections they aren't warranted. Even though it's stated in the warranty book.

Archived