TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR/SS Top Speed?

JADEDaddy73

• 5 months later...

ok, had the chance to take the KR out on an old airstrip. Here are the results

.......152 MPH

Whimp. On my recent trip back from Cali (on 9/12) my Nuvi was up to 650 mph. It really started pulling hard at about 505 mph.

In fairness to you, we were in "thin air" so it's easier to get that speed....at 35,000 feet! And the Jet Stream at our back didn't hurt any either! lol

The flight attendant was VERY impressed that it worked on the plane (I had to hold it up to the window to aquire 3 sats).

I told her our heading, our ground speed, our altitude AND our position (we were due south of Vail CO). She said it was right on the money and now she didn't have to go up and ask the captain for the information, she could just get it from me!

It's strange to see your icon go past a road at that speed. Zoom in and you realize how much faster a plane is than a car!

Just for kicks,

Phill

.......152 MPH

While reading throuh my GT500 supplement I found where is says the (2010) is speed limited to 155 mph, with fuel shut-off.

I think we all knew that already but occasionally you get the guy that says they were doing 160, 160 and one even claimed 170mph (on a stock GT500).

At 152, you were >this< close to top speed.

Was it "on the chip" or was that all the air would let you push through?

Phill

Phil,

I knew the cut off was 155mph and I didn't want to "hit" the limiter at that speed. I was concerned if I hit the limiter, would it make the car "shudder" at that speed ?

I got it over 150mph, and backed off.

The car had plenty left, that's for sure. I think the people claiming to hit a higher speed, probably had the limiter turned off via a tune.

Cool that you had a GPS record an airplane speed.

- Joe

Cool that you had a GPS record an airplane speed.

Actually, I used it more so I could see where I was geographically located!

On the trip out, I had NO idea where we were or what I was looking down at. With a GPS, I knew right where I was.

The speed/altitude was just a bonus I realized after getting Sats aquired. The flight attendant thought it was cool too.

Phill

These are not "top speed" kind of cars in my mind. The aerodynamics are all wrong. The likes of the Veyron, FGT, Lambos, Zondas are top speed cars vying for top honors. Those are top speed cars.

The KR and SS are about accelaratoin and the 1/8 and 1/4 mile.

Top speed discussions vis a vis the KR and SS are a waste of time.

These are not "top speed" kind of cars in my mind. The aerodynamics are all wrong. The likes of the Veyron, FGT, Lambos, Zondas are top speed cars vying for top honors. Those are top speed cars.

That was true until the 2010/11 body style came out.

Note how the '10/'11 rear end is 'tapered' compared to the squared off rear of the '07-'09? Think of a raindrop falling from the sky. It is wide and fat on the leading edge and thin and tapered at the trailing edge. A raindrop is (I've been told) THE most aerodynmamic object in nature. The latest body style of Shelby has those charactoristics (i.e. "the ugly butt" factor).

The 2010 Shelby feels as stable at 135 mph as it does at 35 mph and it is "aero balanced" at speed and the body is capable of 190+ mph. In all fairness, I do not know what the exact top speed number is for a late model Shelby but I know for fact that they are capable of just over 190 mph (been done at the Texas Standing Mile). At some point, all the HP in the world won't push a Shelby past its "aero limit" but again, I don't know what that limit is.

You can not say the same with the '09 and earlier models. People report that they are VERY unstable at speeds of 130 and up. The 2010 body style may not be as "pretty" (and as a owner of a 2010, I'll be the first to admit that) as a '07-'09 but I'm willing to give up form over function.

And the '11's are supposed to be even MORE aerodymnamic due to some aero work under the car (a belly pan up front is the most obvious change).

I will also concede that the '10 & '11 Shelby is not as much of a "top speed" car as a Lambo/FGT/etc. but they are also a fraction of the price.

JMHO,

Phill

Phill: Very simply they can play with the rear end shape of these cars all they want. They still have the aerodynamics of a barn door compared with true "top speed" cars like the Lambos, Ferraris, FGT, Zondas, Veyrons, CCXs etc...

Its like discussing the dogfighting ability of a Lancaster or B17. Its just not what they do.

The KR and SS are muscle cars designed for short bursts on street or strip that slams you back in the seat and/or that occassional spirited drive on a short road coarse.

That was true until the 2010/11 body style came out.

Note how the '10/'11 rear end is 'tapered' compared to the squared off rear of the '07-'09? Think of a raindrop falling from the sky. It is wide and fat on the leading edge and thin and tapered at the trailing edge. A raindrop is (I've been told) THE most aerodynmamic object in nature. The latest body style of Shelby has those charactoristics (i.e. "the ugly butt" factor).

The 2010 Shelby feels as stable at 135 mph as it does at 35 mph and it is "aero balanced" at speed and the body is capable of 190+ mph. In all fairness, I do not know what the exact top speed number is for a late model Shelby but I know for fact that they are capable of just over 190 mph (been done at the Texas Standing Mile). At some point, all the HP in the world won't push a Shelby past its "aero limit" but again, I don't know what that limit is.

You can not say the same with the '09 and earlier models. People report that they are VERY unstable at speeds of 130 and up. The 2010 body style may not be as "pretty" (and as a owner of a 2010, I'll be the first to admit that) as a '07-'09 but I'm willing to give up form over function.

And the '11's are supposed to be even MORE aerodymnamic due to some aero work under the car (a belly pan up front is the most obvious change).

I will also concede that the '10 & '11 Shelby is not as much of a "top speed" car as a Lambo/FGT/etc. but they are also a fraction of the price.

JMHO,

Phill

Phill,

I've been there and can report these statements are accurate. Stock 2010 @ 135 = SOLID.

Within the month, I'll let you know how much better my 2011 is versus my 2010.

The KR and SS are about accelaratoin and the 1/8 and 1/4 mile.

Top speed discussions vis a vis the KR and SS are a waste of time.

Yeah, I kind-of agree with you. As for long periods of sustained high-speed driving, you are probably right. But I think that most of us would agree that we just want to take it to that upper limit, even just one time, and hold it there for a few seconds. I know I do!!!

Then I'll slow down, pull over to the side of the road, and change my shorts.

Real One...I don't think anyone is even arguing that fact of "top speed" as in a super car. This thread was about what the KR would do from the factory. Answer is, 150+ and she feels stable. I took my '08 GT-500 up to 145 once and while the car was stable, the hood started to dance. Not so in the KR. The KR was stable all around. Not too shabby for a Mustang if you ask me.

Now if I wanted to go faster, i'd opt for driving a FGT or a Daytona Coupe. My coupe is designed to flirt with the 200mph zone.

- Joe

Ok. Thats fair.

The real question to me is what are the real/true 0-60 times and 1/4 and1/8 times for the KR and the SS.

:superhero:

I don't know about 0-60 times and top speed, but MM&FF has tested the KR and the Super Snake in the 1/4 mile. :read:

In the Sept. 2008 issue, they ran a best of 11.92 @120 mph in a bonestock KR. With MT ET street tires, they ran a best of 11.58 @ 122 mph. :peelout:

In the Feb. 2009 issue, they didn't even try to test a 725 hp SS with stock tires. But, with MT ET street tires, they ran a best of 10.87 @ 134 mph. :peelout:

Because of the lack of traction, the 1/8 or /14 mile times are not as good as what they could be for the GT500. The roll on power of these cars is awesome and a blast. With the speed restriction on the KR we top out at 155mph, done that! Take the restriction out and the car moves up to 184 mph. That is not shabby at all for this car!! Now, if you want to go faster than that, then get a Ford GT!! or other exotic car...

Phil,

I knew the cut off was 155mph and I didn't want to "hit" the limiter at that speed. I was concerned if I hit the limiter, would it make the car "shudder" at that speed ?

I got it over 150mph, and backed off.

Joe,

I just figured out how to avoid the speed limiter, "on the cheep"...Well, depending on what approach you took to do it with.

A good friend of mine just ran the Mojave Standing Mile last week, out in Cali. He crossed the mile mark at 194.6 MPH on a "reletively" stock Busa (stock bore/stroke and NA). He found a video on You Tube of a guy on a different bike at the Inaugural Mojave Mile in back in March that ran close to the same speed (195.2 MPH) but filmed it and put it on You Tube:

If you watch the video, you'll see the guys speedo reads just short of 100mph...on the Q&A part of the video someone asks him about it and he says "I modified the pickup so it would read half speed. This fools the computer so the 186 mph limiter does not kick in."

AH HA! I never thought about that. The car is *speed* limited, which means the PCM uses the VSS to limit top end. Modify the VSS and you fool the PCM!

That should be easy enough to do, again, depending on what route you take. Problem is, I don't know which type of VSS the Ford EEC system uses. There are two basic types in use today: Hall Effect and PM Generator.

If it's a Hall Effect Switch, you could simply remove every other tooth on the tone ring. That is inside the trans BUT...usually it's on the output shaft so if the tail cone comes off easy, it'd be reletively easy to get to. Remove every other tooth and it will send half of the pulses to the PCM.

OR...if the VSS is a PM Generator (PM = Permanant Magnet) it is literally a mini GENERATOR, that uses permanant magnets opposed to electromagnets like a generator that was used to charge a battery pre-alternators. If it's a gear driven PM Generator, take a VSS apart and either remove one of the two (or two of the four) magnets, or one of the "teeth". That will make the PM Generator generate HALF of the pulses which will tell the PCM you're moving at half the speed you actually are. That would be the easiest way to go about this.

The downside is, your speedo and odo would read half speed but with a GPS, I can set mine to use it as a speedo (Garmin Nuvi, portable type). I'm also suggesting this would only be for occasional bonsai runs, not daily driving (unless you really want it for DD). Wanna run the Texas Mile and be the fastest SHOWROOM STOCK GT500? That'll do it. No tune necessary and you can break the 155 MPH speed limited barrier.

Does anyone here know which type of VSS the GT500/Tremac uses? That would be the first step in this 'train of thought'.

Things that make ya go, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Phill

Archived