TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Uh oh.....it's slipping

Just noticed it the symptoms a few days ago :banghead: . Well, I knew the day was coming. My SGT is DD in Miami where I am constantly in stop and go traffic and the beating I give her on the drag strip I knew this clutch was going to have a early end of life. Soooo, with that being said has anyone changed theirs out yet and if so what did you go with?

I've been looking at two possibles in case I go spray or SC'd- Mcleod or Spec3+ and also what are your opinions on fly wheels, aluminum or billet steel? I want something that can take the abuse of track and be able to last through this stop and go traffic- car has only 20,000 miles.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Ford/Mustang/2007/Single

http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-09-mustang-gt-transmission-clutches-mcleod-c-576_792_1138_3658/mcleod-05-09-mustang-gt-rst-street-twin-disc-clutch-10-spline-p-20839

After SAI converted and installed the new motor in my GT/SC, they found it necessary to replace the clutch - the stock clutch wanted to slip. A Spec stage 2 was installed with the aluminum flywheel. I think the stage 3 is way too much clutch for your car. The stage 2 is rated for 600 horsepower. The heavier the clutch, the more "grab" you'll have when it is released - which is not conducive to everyday driving. Go to Spec's website and check out the stage 2 vs stage 3. The stage 2 should work for you.

After SAI converted and installed the new motor in my GT/SC, they found it necessary to replace the clutch - the stock clutch wanted to slip. A Spec stage 2 was installed with the aluminum flywheel. I think the stage 3 is way too much clutch for your car. The stage 2 is rated for 600 horsepower. The heavier the clutch, the more "grab" you'll have when it is released - which is not conducive to everyday driving. Go to Spec's website and check out the stage 2 vs stage 3. The stage 2 should work for you.

Pretty much what he said.... but Tasca recommended and installed the McLoed twin disc and aluminum flywheel in mine while they did the GT/SC upgrade... based on the info supplied either one is the right choice!

I responded to your PM just now FYI.

I recommend McLeod RST or RXT twin disc clutches (depending on how much dough you want to spend), if you ever plan on adding the blower. While you're at it, I'd think about the McLeod adjustable throwout bearing and aluminum flywheel. Good luck

Ken

Pretty much what he said.... but Tasca recommended and installed the McLoed twin disc and aluminum flywheel in mine while they did the GT/SC upgrade... based on the info supplied either one is the right choice!

This is what I would go with if or actually when I upgrade, have only heard great things about them.

How do you like it by the way?????

I responded to your PM just now FYI.

I recommend McLeod RST or RXT twin disc clutches (depending on how much dough you want to spend), if you ever plan on adding the blower. While you're at it, I'd think about the McLeod adjustable throwout bearing and aluminum flywheel. Good luck

Ken

What is the effect of an aluminum flywheel on a 3500+-pound car?

What is the effect of an aluminum flywheel on a 3500+-pound car?

It frees up some of that unwanted weight off the rear of the block, Frank - less parasitic drag. It's good for a few easy HP and while the clutch is already out, it's a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

Ken

Runnning a spec 2+ with the stock flywheel. I have also run a zoom dual disc with aluminum flywheel. The clutch was good but I did not like the aluminum flywheel. I had a waranty issue with the zoom and my first spec 2+ had a warranty issue as well. My next clutch will be a dual disc with steel flywheel and the I will add the braided line from the master cylinder to the clutch slave unit available though Ford Racing.

Dennis did them same on our SGT. You also might want to upgrade to a 1pc ds.

Just noticed it the symptoms a few days ago :banghead: . Well, I knew the day was coming. My SGT is DD in Miami where I am constantly in stop and go traffic and the beating I give her on the drag strip I knew this clutch was going to have a early end of life. Soooo, with that being said has anyone changed theirs out yet and if so what did you go with?

I've been looking at two possibles in case I go spray or SC'd- Mcleod or Spec3+ and also what are your opinions on fly wheels, aluminum or billet steel? I want something that can take the abuse of track and be able to last through this stop and go traffic- car has only 20,000 miles.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Ford/Mustang/2007/Single

http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-09-mustang-gt-transmission-clutches-mcleod-c-576_792_1138_3658/mcleod-05-09-mustang-gt-rst-street-twin-disc-clutch-10-spline-p-20839

Chris,

if you want to wait for the upgrade, I have a stock clutch here w/ appx. 4000 miles you can have for the cost of shipping. I'm not going to use it and it was not "hammered" during those miles. I went w/ the Spec 2 w/ the other upgrades. I know it would be labor x2, but it is an option for you...Craig

Archived