TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TSB 09-24-16 installed on my car (front end LCA’s)

Grabber

I just returned from having the TSB done under the PremiumCare ESP. I also had my driveshaft replaced (grease leaking from rear joint), and they were considered a "single repair," so only one deductible payment of $200. Parts and labor came to over $1,800 if I had to pay out of pocket -- and those were the warranty costs...my costs would likely have been even higher!

I'm definitely glad I bought the ESP...it's already paid for itself! :happy feet:

Did the TSB fix the noise problem? I am taking mine in later this week to have it evaluated for the TSB.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine DIDNT make any noise before, and the dealer swapped them out while they had the car. Well guess what, NOW THEY DO squeak over bumps. And I do have the TSB done. WTF man. I fucking hate this car. Its always something.

Did you take it in to have the TSB performed without symptons, or did they do it without asking?

Did you take it in to have the TSB performed without symptons, or did they do it without asking?

My car was already there for another issue that was not related to the suspension. But while it was there, on this forum I read that there was a TSB on it for those control arms. So while it was on the rack, they measured them and found them to be the pre TSB parts. They asked me if I wanted them done since it was there and I said ok. Yes there were no symptoms before, but now after it has them. Now They are going to look at them again. This is bullshit.

My car was already there for another issue that was not related to the suspension. But while it was there, on this forum I read that there was a TSB on it for those control arms. So while it was on the rack, they measured them and found them to be the pre TSB parts. They asked me if I wanted them done since it was there and I said ok. Yes there were no symptoms before, but now after it has them. Now They are going to look at them again. This is bullshit.

They probably messed up the install and left something loose or installed it wrong. Or remote possibility of bad parts.

This is why my clutch is original. It has no real signs of drag, so I don't want to risk it.

I will get this TSB done, as my front end sounds like a used car with 250,000 miles on it, from the 60's.

didnt they tighten everything to spec an follow the WSM exactly. take it back in an have them double check. also did they put in brand new nuts an botls

• 1 month later...

Andy,

Did you pick your car up.

Is everything good ?

Grabber,

I am not Andy, but mine is not all good. I have had everything in the front end of my car replaced, and yet still, at low speeds, when I hit bumps, it feels like something is moving and a thunk happens on the up / down motion of the suspension. I am giving up, as I don't know what else to do, so I will try and ignore it. I really don't notice it with the top down, which is 95% of my driving, at speeds over about 5mph.

I think I am most disappointed that this can't get escalated to somebody that can figure this out. They sent a regional Ford rep, and he drove several GT500's in the area and declared that he definitly heard what I was talking about, but that every other GT500 he drove did the exact same thing. The Ford service line extended my front end warranty, but what good is that unless whatever is making noise actually falls off, since nobody can figure it out?

Game plan for now is live with it, and maybe someday start changing stuff out at my expense, like strut mounts, etc...

I had the front LCAs replaced, clunking is still there. The tech claims my upper strut mount on the passenger's side is contributing. My car is lowered with FRPP springs and I have MM camber plates on. I'm just going to tolerate the noise and check them out when it's time to replace the struts. The noise isn't all that bad since it only occurs at low speed while maneuvering.

I had the front LCAs replaced, clunking is still there. The tech claims my upper strut mount on the passenger's side is contributing. My car is lowered with FRPP springs and I have MM camber plates on. I'm just going to tolerate the noise and check them out when it's time to replace the struts. The noise isn't all that bad since it only occurs at low speed while maneuvering.

Mine makes a single small pop sound from the front right corner of the car when I back down my driveway while turning the wheel left as the car levels out on the street. This is the only time it does it and if I back down and turn the wheel to the right it seems to be fine, no noise. Is this the noise you here too? I also have the FRPP springs/struts and MM camber plates.

Mine makes the same pop noise. So I called the dealer to schedule a time to have the tsb done. They called me back and said the lca's are on a national backorder and it could be over a month before they see them.

After reading what others have gone through I'm wondering if I should just leave it alone.

Mine makes a single small pop sound from the front right corner of the car when I back down my driveway while turning the wheel left as the car levels out on the street. This is the only time it does it and if I back down and turn the wheel to the right it seems to be fine, no noise. Is this the noise you here too? I also have the FRPP springs/struts and MM camber plates.

Yes that's the sort of dull popping noise that I encounter when turning the wheel while backing out of the garage. I usually hear more than one pop though. First time I noticed it was after installing the front lowering springs/plates. I still have the stock struts.

• 5 months later...

I have been reading about this TSB thanks to Grabber and came across some interesting information. I had to replace my lower control arms so I ordered the part numbers specified oin the TSB. (AR3Z-3078-A Right hand GT 500) and (AR3Z-3079-A Left hand GT 500) These are the parts number specified in the TSB for the newer lower control arms. By the way these part numbers are now superceeded to part numbers (AR3Z-3078-D Right hand GT 500) and (AR3Z-3079-D Left hand GT 500). When the new parts arrived we opened the box and measured the lower ball joint shaft and guess what, the shaft diameter is 18mm (0.709in) not 19mm (0.748in) as it indicated in the TSB. Needless to say I was a little confused over the wording on the TSB that indicated that the new part number should have the larger ball joint shaft. After about 2 weeks of phone calls all over the Ford organization I finally got a call back from one of the Ford engineers that explained the situation. Indeed the new control arms had the new improved bushings, but the ball joint shaft was still actually the 18mm one. He explained that they did not go to the 19mm ball joint shaft until the 2011 model year, and to do that meant also replacing the steering knuckle to accomodate the larger 19mm ball joint shaft. SOOOOO, in conclusion, if you did the TSB on a car newer than 2011 you received the improved bushing but not the larger ball joint shaft, unless of course you paid for the new 2011 lower control arms and new steering knuckles. By the way a 19mm ball joint shaft will not fit the hole in the 2010 and earlier lower control arms. Now, how many that did this TSB will be going out to their garages tonight with a dial indicator in hand to measure their lower ball joint shafts?

Nitro

My 3 year factory warranty is up in 2 weeks....so I'm glad to have this done while it's still covered. happy%20feet.gif

If anyone needs the TSB, it's in a PDF file located here:

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1

Grabber, I would think that the grunting and squeaking would come from putting a certain amount of miles on your Shelby so I wanted to ask how many miles you had on it and when you noticed the squeaking .

I have 09 and have a mickey hair under 1,400 miles on mine. I haven't heard anything and may not for a while due to a lack of miles on it. My 09 sat in the dealership for about 16 months before I brought it in Feb 2010 so I am also wondering if thru time the squeaking would also start to happen just because the rubber might start to harden etc, Thanks mate

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never took mine in for this.

I personally installed my FRPP Struts/Springs/Swaybars along with MM camber plates, and my front end is silent. I'm not a fan of letting dealers monkey around my car just for the fun of it. The only reason I have considered getting it done was for the possible increased 'strength' from the larger balljoint shaft, but everything else feels good.

I'll let it ride for now . :headscratch:

So does the dealer need to recreate the sound or can just measuring the ball joint make this happen. My car sometimes makes some of these weird noises but not always. I told my service advisor about it and they drove the car but it would not make the noise. My car is an 07 and I thought it's year would qualify it without a doubt but i guess not.......

I never took mine in for this.

I personally installed my FRPP Struts/Springs/Swaybars along with MM camber plates, and my front end is silent. I'm not a fan of letting dealers monkey around my car just for the fun of it. The only reason I have considered getting it done was for the possible increased 'strength' from the larger balljoint shaft, but everything else feels good.

I'll let it ride for now . :headscratch:

The balljoint shaft is exactly the same size in the updated version of the front LCA listed in this TSB as the old version. It is still 18mm. If you measure your balljoint shaft and it is 19mm you own a 2011 GT500 and so the TSB does not apply. The 2011 (19mm) LCAs do not fit older model (2007-2010) steering knuckles.

it just has a new improved hydro bushing. The older hydro bushings sometimes make noise. Like when entering a steep driveway at an angle. If yours doesn't then the TSB does not apply. Also, they are easy to install if you want to buy them and install yourself.

• 1 year later...

Grabber, You say your 3 year warranty yet your car is a 2007 model so it is 5 years old so is it 3 or 5? I have an 2008 that turned 4 in February so I assume I am out of luck on getting this done without paying if it is the 3 year BTB warranty? BTW, thanks so much for all of your info as you are a great help to all of us!!

For those of us that have been out of warranty for a long...long time and will have to pay for this update my question is...Is this change necessary? Especially if we don't hear anything now? Also it there a better front LCA than the new Ford one in the TSB that we can put in since those of us that are out of warranty will have to pay for it anyway?

Of course with my new McLeod SXT clutch and new Ford stock tie-rods being installed this week I have no extra funds to even think about new front LCS's anyway.

One question though...my 2007 makes a very loud noise in what sounds like the left rear fender area when going over any minor bump? It sounds like a squeak/tension kind of noise. My 2007, 115k mile, GT500 has Knoi Yellow rear shocks and J&M rear upper and lower control arms that we put in 40K miles ago...along with H&R "OEM version" rear lowering springs that were put in 6 months ago. I had the noise before putting in the rear lowering springs and the new springs had no effect on the noise. Can it be the shocks? How long to High Quality shocks like the yellow Koni's last?

Mark / MSB Mustang...still driving the wifes 2007 Honda Pilot!

• 2 months later...

The balljoint shaft is exactly the same size in the updated version of the front LCA listed in this TSB as the old version. It is still 18mm. If you measure your balljoint shaft and it is 19mm you own a 2011 GT500 and so the TSB does not apply. The 2011 (19mm) LCAs do not fit older model (2007-2010) steering knuckles.

it just has a new improved hydro bushing. The older hydro bushings sometimes make noise. Like when entering a steep driveway at an angle. If yours doesn't then the TSB does not apply. Also, they are easy to install if you want to buy them and install yourself.

So back to the top with this one....

Has anyone replaced the steering knuckles on a 2010 and earlier with knuckles from a 2011 or later?

Did they fit? Did you MOD to make them fit if so what did you do?

I need to replace LCA on one of our mustangs,,,,, Id like to use the larger ball joint of the later model ones.

I can re cut the taper in the older knuckle to fit the 19mm version... but need a later model one to confirm if the materiel thickness is different of if they just increased the hole to fit.

The other option is to source 2011 -2013 knuckles new or used and fit them... IF the are interchangeable.

Thanks

Erik

Archived