TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lack of grip=intimidation

thewheelman

Yesterday hit 47 degrees, the sky was clear and the roads were too, so I fired her up for the first time in a couple of weeks and went "around the block". It's about a 3.5 mile loop consisting of about 2 miles of 2 lane and a mile and a half of 4 lane....very light traffic most of the time. So, as I'm pulling out of my subdivision one of the guys in the back pulls up behind me and revs the motor on his Monte Carlo SS. I give him a friendly wave (I really don't know the guy very well) and pull out. He follows, but with squalling tires. Ok, I'm not in the mood to race and the tires have limited traction, so I ignore it. Next intersection, I turn left to make my loop, he follows--squalling tires again and he's all over my back bumper. We finally get to the 4 lane and he pulls along side grinning and waving and gunning the motor. BTW, it's got a huge "supercharged" banner across the top of the windshield. He jumps up ahead of me and I let him go. Then he falls back and waits for me at the next intersection. Ok, I've had enough. Light turns green and I nurse it off the line without too much tire spin and we're on! I'm working harder trying to minimize wheel spin than keeping ahead of him (which is no problem) and I manage to keep it straight until I hit third and roll into the throttle. You know what happens next, right? Yep, the factory tires had had enough, the tail end steps out and I jump sideways down the road. At that point he is behind me (of course) and abruptly backs off. I nearly wet my pants laughing at the next intersection....he pulled along side and says, "Man, that is one bad a** Mustang. I ain't messing with no car that breaks loose at that speed! You got too much motor for me!"

I'm looking forward to spring!

Yesterday hit 47 degrees, the sky was clear and the roads were too, so I fired her up for the first time in a couple of weeks and went "around the block". It's about a 3.5 mile loop consisting of about 2 miles of 2 lane and a mile and a half of 4 lane....very light traffic most of the time. So, as I'm pulling out of my subdivision one of the guys in the back pulls up behind me and revs the motor on his Monte Carlo SS. I give him a friendly wave (I really don't know the guy very well) and pull out. He follows, but with squalling tires. Ok, I'm not in the mood to race and the tires have limited traction, so I ignore it. Next intersection, I turn left to make my loop, he follows--squalling tires again and he's all over my back bumper. We finally get to the 4 lane and he pulls along side grinning and waving and gunning the motor. BTW, it's got a huge "supercharged" banner across the top of the windshield. He jumps up ahead of me and I let him go. Then he falls back and waits for me at the next intersection. Ok, I've had enough. Light turns green and I nurse it off the line without too much tire spin and we're on! I'm working harder trying to minimize wheel spin than keeping ahead of him (which is no problem) and I manage to keep it straight until I hit third and roll into the throttle. You know what happens next, right? Yep, the factory tires had had enough, the tail end steps out and I jump sideways down the road. At that point he is behind me (of course) and abruptly backs off. I nearly wet my pants laughing at the next intersection....he pulled along side and says, "Man, that is one bad a** Mustang. I ain't messing with no car that breaks loose at that speed! You got too much motor for me!"

I'm looking forward to spring!

Good story. It seems to be a common thing when you least want it. Everyone wants to test the waters.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the same dropping from 4th to 3rd on the freeway. Couldn't hear the whine of the S/C over my screaming.

Oh Sh**, I did the same thing the night I brought her home.. 60MPH, dropped to third and hammered it.. The damn thing did a side step on me! Rather than scream, I was grinning from ear to ear.. It may have been a, scared out of my mind over compensation for all I know though :-p

I was cruising home from work the other day in the Mustang and had a 2010 camaro pull up beside me. He gave me that look and it was a perfect spot to just see how we could shoot out the blocks. Wow, I made the tires scream and he tried to stand on it....next my tires took hold and off I was...had him in my rear view mirror and backed it down. That guy was shocked when he saw I had a KR. He waved and I acknowledged and we parted our ways. Strike one up for our GT500 Mustangs. :happy feet:

Happy Motoring

DaShelby

I did that with my daughter and her boyfriend in the car on a narrow 2 lane street, they were screaming and I managed to keep my cool and told her boyfriend as he had a death grip in the dash and door assist handle, NOW I can see your hands :) It is an attention getter for sure. My dad who made a life time of scarring us, told my mom that I scared him good and we won't ever ride with me again and that wasn't even going side ways. Have a great weekend.

Archived