TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Puff Of Smoke

09KR0058

Haven't driven the KR in a couple of weeks, but with the weather finally getting better, I decided to take her out today. When I cranked it up, for about 1-2 seconds, a very light puff of smoke came out the pipes. It was white with just a hit of blue. Now I'm worried. I only have just over 12,000 miles on it, and change the oil every 2500 miles. No hard driving, other than an occasional "test of the boost gauge", if you know what I mean.

Please tell me that this isn't a big deal. I'm having nightmares thinking of some young punk at my dealer taking that beautiful motor apart...

Haven't driven the KR in a couple of weeks, but with the weather finally getting better, I decided to take her out today. When I cranked it up, for about 1-2 seconds, a very light puff of smoke came out the pipes. It was white with just a hit of blue. Now I'm worried. I only have just over 12,000 miles on it, and change the oil every 2500 miles. No hard driving, other than an occasional "test of the boost gauge", if you know what I mean.

Please tell me that this isn't a big deal. I'm having nightmares thinking of some young punk at my dealer taking that beautiful motor apart...

Hopefully it is just vaporized water from your exhaust system..

Russ

With less than 3000 miles on my GT500 a couple of years ago, mine did the same thing. Now that I drive it more often, haven't seen it since after another 7,000 happy miles.

White is usually just condensation, but it won't hurt to keep an eye on coolant and brake fluid levels too... Blue oil smoke when starting or after a long idle, is usually oil getting past valve guides, and will happen after the engine sits, and especially when it's really cold out. Just keep an eye on it; probably nothing to worry about. :)

Don't lose sleep over it, it's quite normal.You had a little extra fuel in the engine on start up.Raw unburned fuel can have a bluish white color to it as well as oil.Also an excess of fuel in the engine on start up washes the oil from the cylinder wall which gets mixed with fuel and gets burned.ie-smoke.Keep an eye on it but i don't think you have a concern.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll keep an eye on the fluids. When I cranked it up to go to lunch today, and then again to come back to the office, no trace of smoke. Looks like it just may be that it had been sitting for a while in my cold garage.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll keep an eye on the fluids. When I cranked it up to go to lunch today, and then again to come back to the office, no trace of smoke. Looks like it just may be that it had been sitting for a while in my cold garage.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have seen alot of the modular motors to this on start up especially after sitting for a while. I think it is just oil leaking down the valve seals slowly from sitting. If it isn't puffing when you get on the gas ( not talking about tire smoke ) then you have nothing to worry about inside the engine. Check the fluids like the others said just to be sure though, and I think you will find that it won't be useing and noticable amount of oil either.

Bring that beauty on over to my garage. I'll be sure she gets LOTS of :shift:

Archived