TEAM SHELBY FORUM

clear bra undecided??

cbr1000

I thought about doing this last fall, but couldn't find an installer I was comfortable with. Recently I found a company that has a good reputation, but still am not 100% sold on doing this. It's $645 to do the front of the car and bottom half of the rear quarter panels. Seems like half the people that have this done love it, and the other half hate it.....

What are your thoughts about covering the front of your car with a clear bra? Anybody else done this on a gt500?

I thought about doing this last fall, but couldn't find an installer I was comfortable with. Recently I found a company that has a good reputation, but still am not 100% sold on doing this. It's $645 to do the front of the car and bottom half of the rear quarter panels. Seems like half the people that have this done love it, and the other half hate it.....

What are your thoughts about covering the front of your car with a clear bra? Anybody else done this on a gt500?

Had the 3M Scotchcal product installed on my GT500 in the first weeks of ownership. It has already prevented one chip from a direct hit on the freeway. In my opinion it's an investment worth every penny when you compare the chips you would expect to see with a few years of driving. The price you were quoted is right on the mark. I paid $650 for the same application. Hope that helps.

Mike

Okay, that makes me more comfortable. Thanks everyone.

Hopefully this summer wiping the bugs off the front of the car will be quicker... + no scratches on my black paint..

If anybody has any pics to post I would like to see how visable the seam is and I'm curious if everyone covered the stripe.

I've heard there's three options regarding the stripe. Directly on top, leave the stripe uncovered, or layer the film to cover the stripe.

The installer I've been working with suggested just going over it.

Okay, that makes me more comfortable. Thanks everyone.

Hopefully this summer wiping the bugs off the front of the car will be quicker... + no scratches on my black paint..

If anybody has any pics to post I would like to see how visable the seam is and I'm curious if everyone covered the stripe.

I've heard there's three options regarding the stripe. Directly on top, leave the stripe uncovered, or layer the film to cover the stripe.

The installer I've been working with suggested just going over it.

Im pretty sure Grabber Orange has a post with Pics--do a search

you should not cover your lenses

i will yellow due to the heat

I highly recommend this. I have covered my lenses, and no yellowing whatsoever. It is the best investment you can make for your car. Mine is venture shield, 600.00 installed, covers whole front of car, mirrors, lenses, part of front bumpers. Here is a picture of mine, but maybe to far away to see it. On my black car it is hard to see.

post-5933-126664633486_thumb.jpg

I wish I would have done it, I do have it on my Daily Driver. Now I have a few chips :angry22:

I will more than likely end up getting my stripes painted on at some point, I will also have all chips fixed at that time and put on Clear Bra for sure. I was worried about the stripes, that is why I did not do it.

I have not had any problems with this. It has been on for 2 years now :)

I highly recommend this. I have covered my lenses, and no yellowing whatsoever. It is the best investment you can make for your car. Mine is venture shield, 600.00 installed, covers whole front of car, mirrors, lenses, part of front bumpers. Here is a picture of mine, but maybe to far away to see it. On my black car it is hard to see.

I covered my pillars around the windshield also. Has saved them from flying rocks on the freeway. And put a piece on the door sills under the plastic so it folds over and down to protect from shoes when getting in and out.

Chuck, with all due respect, that would be a no, incorrect, does not occur. As stated by others, I have also had my lenses covered for a few years now, and there is no yellowing of the film what so ever.

Could you tell us how/why you came to the conclusion that the film will yellow from the heat?

Just curious.

cbr1000, as you have already determined, installing clear bra material on your car is a win-win idea... go for it.

ya, I'm sold.

Just need it to rain to wash away the winter salt and sand before I make the trip for installation..

I will post up some pics when done... I'm guessing it's going to be a few weeks. As I'm typing this it's snowing fairly heavy :(

I am also going to get the 3M Clear bra but have 2 a question regarding the stripes.

1) Does the installer make small slits where the clear bra goes over the stripes so the edge doesn't raise up?

2) If you put the clear bra over the stripes what happens if you need to replace a section that has a stripe underneath? Does the stripe come off when the clear bra comes off?

I can see the stripes getting chipped very easily and would prefer to cover the stripes. Just curious what happens if you need to remove a section with a stripe.

BTW I got quoted 750 at a place in NJ

I am also going to get the 3M Clear bra but have 2 a question regarding the stripes.

1) Does the installer make small slits where the clear bra goes over the stripes so the edge doesn't raise up?

2) If you put the clear bra over the stripes what happens if you need to replace a section that has a stripe underneath? Does the stripe come off when the clear bra comes off?

I can see the stripes getting chipped very easily and would prefer to cover the stripes. Just curious what happens if you need to remove a section with a stripe.

BTW I got quoted 750 at a place in NJ

I think putting the clear bra over the stripes comes down to the type of stripe you have, glossy or flat. I'd put the clear bra over glossy stripes because it wouldn't change the appearance of the stripe whereas the clear bra would on the flat stripes...it would make them shiney.

i did the clear bra on mine the complete hood except stripes. front bumber, all front lights, half front fenders, a-pillars, mirrors, behind front wheels, in front of the back wheels, the guys who did mine are car show judges, a little priceee, but worth the money, i have seen work on other shelby with kits, look like crap, it has to be cut to fit the car and make sure its 3m product if you are in the new york area or close enough to drive to or trailer your car to these guys do most of the porsches,and ferrari here if you need more info post again and i will give you my cell number

i did the clear bra on mine the complete hood except stripes. front bumber, all front lights, half front fenders, a-pillars, mirrors, behind front wheels, in front of the back wheels, the guys who did mine are car show judges, a little priceee, but worth the money, i have seen work on other shelby with kits, look like crap, it has to be cut to fit the car and make sure its 3m product if you are in the new york area or close enough to drive to or trailer your car to these guys do most of the porsches,and ferrari here if you need more info post again and i will give you my cell number

Could you share the name of the shop that installed for you? You can PM it to me if you prefer. Also what was your cost $$$.

Thanks,

GUS

gus , the shops name is detailing dynamics, speak with matt or eddie the there work is unbeatable, my car was the least expensive car in the shop at the time i did the bra, but everyone was looking at the grabber blue shelby in the corner, i also did not state i did not cover the stripes for a reason , the reason was when you apply this clear 3m mask its like putting another coat of clear on the area so by not putting the clear on the strips and only on the blue , the orange peel on the hood is just about a perfect match. they also made templets for the side of the car (behind front wheels and ind front of back wheels) i have to point out the bra on the car when showing anyome , the product is also strong enough to use a hand polisher on it, the price was 1600 but for some like me who want to protect this car from road chips it was worth for me i have seen many of cars with them but none compare to work of these guys tel # 1516 747-4114 beleave or not you need to make an appointment with them i waited a month to get my car in thanks for listing johnny

I had the stripes done and they seem OK. I wish I had done behind the front wheels. I also wish trucks that haul rock would follow the law and cover the load, it's bad out here.

Archived