TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4th Revision - The new revised Clutch TSB 10-3-8

Grabber

Well, I just picked up my '08 Vert from the dealer. I had the clutch TSB done along with the KR shifter. First, for those of you that have been thinking of the KR shifter, think no more. In fact stop reading this and go order one! You're still reading, did you order it yet? Great! You won't believe how much shorter the throws are. Second, the clutch is completely different from the old one. I had 28,000 miles on the original one and it was toast. The tech said I had maybe a thousand miles left on it. There's no chatter taking off; but it feels completely different. The pedal is so light now, you can fart and it will go to the floor. It grabs almost right off the floor; but there's a larger friction zone to it now. Those that ride a bike know what I'm talking about. It's not as sudden of an engagement. The question is to the guys/gals that have had it done, is this right? I read on another thread that their TSB resulted in a stiffer pedal. Comments appreciated. Thanks.

The light clutch feel you have is normal for that new 2010 clutch.

Thanks Grabber. Glad to get your opinion on it. Somebody on another thread said it ended up being stiffer. Now I have to learn to drive it all over again. It feels like a completely different car.

I'm sure I speak for everyone on this board, Thanks for keeping everybody up to date and informed on this.

The light clutch feel you have is normal for that new 2010 clutch.

Just got my 2007 back with TSB 10-3-8 completed. Yes feels much lighter and no shaking! Will update after another 500 miles or so to give more feedback. Gald to have the car back after 45 days!

Thanks Grabber. Glad to get your opinion on it. Somebody on another thread said it ended up being stiffer. Now I have to learn to drive it all over again. It feels like a completely different car.

I'm sure I speak for everyone on this board, Thanks for keeping everybody up to date and informed on this.

Your welcome. Many here have helped me and It's nice to be able to give back once in a while.

Mine started stiffening up after a hundred miles or so. I'm talking about the clutch by the way..

Just got my 2007 back with TSB 10-3-8 completed. Yes feels much lighter and no shaking! Will update after another 500 miles or so to give more feedback. Gald to have the car back after 45 days!

Well after 500 miles I am very happy with the 2010 clutch on my 2007. No shudder, consistent takeup, the firmness of the engagement is just right, and no hiss (I kinda liked that though)! Did I say NO SHUDDER?! Backing up the driveway and hill starts are now easy and don't snap the neck on my passengeres. The combination makes the car much more enjoyable! Will post addl. progress @ the 1K mark.

Well here is my story with the clutch assy. I have an 2009 never did look up build date bought in Sept 2008. I had the a TSB done in October 2008 with 1000 miles on it. I now have 7200 miles on it. I did do a KB stage 3 but that wasn't till Sept and I live in CO and it has been in the garage most of the time since OCT. Well I had headers and gears and a TrueTrac installed. Installed line lock dropped it off to have ABS bled and oil changed. When I got it back I had to force hard it into first, second and reverse. Last two months I had noticed there was a little catch in 1st nothing bad just felt like gears rubbing going in. Left it with my mechanic he tested everything and told me this morning he orderd all the parts for the new TSB. Yes I have modded car a little but I don't drive hard and it stays in a garage most of the time from late October to mid March(two winters). It snowed 3 inches a week and half ago. I would say 90 percent of the driving has been at stock power levels. Still can't figure out what happend in the 20 hours from when I dropped it off working fine and picked it up having issues.

Have any one that the TSB 10-3-8 done sean a drop in performance.I had mine done last week. i know thay repogramed th PCM.The tach. could not tell me it that detune the car.Said its just the hot weather.

I couldn't tell any difference after I had mine done. If I didn't know about the PCM re-program, I never would of known.

I couldn't tell any difference after I had mine done. If I didn't know about the PCM re-program, I never would of known.

Thanks,it has been about 21/2 weeks now and the car runs way different then when i got it back.Not sure why? I know it set with the batt. disc. for one week.

All I can say is holy **** this clutch is freaking smooth as a baby's but. I tried to get a little chatter an couldn't. It will take some getting used the extremely extremely lite pedal effort on the new clutch. Now just have to do some driving so I can have some fun. Hate having to break a clutch in

Edited by rice1680

My car is in the shop getting its 5th clutch!

But at least this one is under warranty!

They said they are not sure if I will get the 2010 unit, but I don't think Ford would still send out the old clutch under warranty right now, so I'd have to assume I am getting the 2010 gear? I hope

My Spec will be going up for sale for anyone interested, just dont buy it if you dont like chatter lol

Your welcome. Many here have helped me and It's nice to be able to give back once in a while.

Just got mine back from TSB 2 weeks ago. I notice occasional mild chatter with clutch release, but this varies based on rate of release of clutch, engine RPMs at time of release, etc. Do I need to have them do it again?? Otherwise, it shifts fine and much less effort needed, although it seems to be slightly stiffer than when I first picked it up. What do you think?

Just got mine back from TSB 2 weeks ago. I notice occasional mild chatter with clutch release, but this varies based on rate of release of clutch, engine RPMs at time of release, etc. Do I need to have them do it again?? Otherwise, it shifts fine and much less effort needed, although it seems to be slightly stiffer than when I first picked it up. What do you think?

I think you will be fine since it shifts good.

My car is in the shop getting its 5th clutch!

But at least this one is under warranty!

They said they are not sure if I will get the 2010 unit, but I don't think Ford would still send out the old clutch under warranty right now, so I'd have to assume I am getting the 2010 gear? I hope

My Spec will be going up for sale for anyone interested, just dont buy it if you dont like chatter lol

Hi Chuck, I'm surprised Ford will pay to change out a non OEM clutch. How did you get them to do that?

Hi Chuck, I'm surprised Ford will pay to change out a non OEM clutch. How did you get them to do that?

Without rehashing all my misfortunes with this cars clutch/tranny.

Ford engineer actually told me to install an aftermarket one, so I did.

But I didnt really do anything special, I just kept hassling and hassling and finally got it.

I have not got it back yet but I am hoping this will be it and it will drive like it should.

Not really sold on it yet because the spec should have driven fine but everyone that drove with the spec knew immediately something wasnt right including the tech doing my work.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks to Grabber for the posts and information he shares with us. With his expertise I was able to pinpoint my clutch problem, got SVT to agree, then approached the dealer and they agreed as well. I just picked up my 07 vert on Friday and just had to say, this is a completely different driving experience. After about 20 miles I realized that the difference between the old clutch and the new on is night and day. If you can get the 2010 clutch do it.

The car shifts effortlessly, the gear are silent, there is no shake-ever. Thanks again Grabber and all those that have posted information.

Without rehashing all my misfortunes with this cars clutch/tranny.

Ford engineer actually told me to install an aftermarket one, so I did.

But I didnt really do anything special, I just kept hassling and hassling and finally got it.

I have not got it back yet but I am hoping this will be it and it will drive like it should.

Not really sold on it yet because the spec should have driven fine but everyone that drove with the spec knew immediately something wasnt right including the tech doing my work.

Any update on this Chuck?

Any update on this Chuck?

2010 clutch kit has been in for about 2 weeks now and no problems! :)

I am now using a different tech so tough to say exactly what was causing all my issues.

I wanted a new tranny but they did the syncro test and all passed

Hopefully if tranny acts up during the 5 year 50k Ford will also fix that under warranty.

But right now I am very happy! Cost me a lot of money though to get to this point on a car with just over 10k miles :(

Edited by chuckstang

Just wanted to say thanks to Grabber for the posts and information he shares with us. With his expertise I was able to pinpoint my clutch problem, got SVT to agree, then approached the dealer and they agreed as well. I just picked up my 07 vert on Friday and just had to say, this is a completely different driving experience. After about 20 miles I realized that the difference between the old clutch and the new on is night and day. If you can get the 2010 clutch do it.

The car shifts effortlessly, the gear are silent, there is no shake-ever. Thanks again Grabber and all those that have posted information.

Do you have the stock shifter?

My shifts are not exactly effortless but tough to say if its due to my new Steeda shifter. I just figured swap shifters while tranny was out

I found this post while looking up a 2nd gear grind issue and am sure glad I did. I'm thinking I have this issue and am going to take it to the dealership this week to have it checked out and fixed. I have a 2007 GT500 (build date 8/5/06) with about 9K miles, pretty much stock (replaced LCAs and mufflers, that's it) that I like to take to the track. Last trip out a few weeks ago on my last two runs, it felt like I was missing 2nd. I shift at near redline without letting off the gas and up until then it was fine. Now I can't go from 1st to 2nd at anything above 2000 RPMs. Get that horrible sounding grind and it is real stubborn going in to gear.

I did the TSB test and I think it failed. When I pull towards 2nd it does slip and grind, but I'm not sure if I'm applying more than the 5-10 ft lb of pressure in doing so... I'm past my 3 year standard warranty, but I'm reading that this is a 5/60 issue because it is drivetrain (?) Please tell me yes. I saw a picture of a guy's printout on the warranty repair and the price came out to be like 5 grand. That would hurt more than a little...

Edited by My07GT500

I found this post while looking up a 2nd gear grind issue and am sure glad I did. I'm thinking I have this issue and am going to take it to the dealership this week to have it checked out and fixed. I have a 2007 GT500 (build date 8/5/06) with about 9K miles, pretty much stock (replaced LCAs and mufflers, that's it) that I like to take to the track. Last trip out a few weeks ago on my last two runs, it felt like I was missing 2nd. I shift at near redline without letting off the gas and up until then it was fine. Now I can't go from 1st to 2nd at anything above 2000 RPMs. Get that horrible sounding grind and it is real stubborn going in to gear.

I did the TSB test and I think it failed. When I pull towards 2nd it does slip and grind, but I'm not sure if I'm applying more than the 5-10 ft lb of pressure in doing so... I'm past my 3 year standard warranty, but I'm reading that this is a 5/60 issue because it is drivetrain (?) Please tell me yes. I saw a picture of a guy's printout on the warranty repair and the price came out to be like 5 grand. That would hurt more than a little...

The flywheel is the root of your problem. You need to school yourself up on the entire issue....because there are many, but the flywheel is covered for 5/60. Try to hang your hat on that when talking to the dealer.

Read the attached thread to school yourself up.

...and welcome to TS bud.

here's the thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36724-what-to-tell-the-dealer-about-your-clutch-problem/page__view__findpost__p__576592

Much appreciated for both the advice and the information. I feel like I have a good rapport with the dealership and the dealer's son is a big GT500 enthusiast (he had an 08 Super Snake before he sold it) and they sell a lot of GT500s... I will say when I called the service department (3 days ago) and told them my problem and that I thought it related to the TSB I was told they would have their technician look it up and give me a call...That was 3 days ago...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the factory clutch fluid line is part of the list of replacement parts in the clutch kit tsb?

I am curious because I am wondering if mine has ever been replaced.

It would look like this, but is not stainless, it would be plastic:

http://lrcraceparts.com/shop-by-brand/ford-racing-products/driveline-ford-racing/high-performance-clutch-fluid-line.html

I just ordered the FRPP high performance clutch fluid line and really think it will help clutch feel.

I have looked at my TSB receipts with parts list but its tough to make sense of it.

thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Had T-S-B 10-03-08 recently completed with the following parts Flywheel-7R3Z-6375-B: Clutch Kit-7R3Z-7L596: Slave F6ZZ-7600 . The trans now shifts smoothly into each gear and the pedal pressure is much lighter, however I still get the gear roll when stopped at a light with the car in neutral and the clutch disengaged and I now get a lot of shutter on take-off especially as the car warms up. I 'm hearing that the 10-03-08 TSB eliminated the take off shutter but mine seems worse. Questions to the group" 1 anyone else with the 10-03-08 TSB experiencing clutch shutter 2 Are the part numbers I listed truly 10 parts Thanks