TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4th Revision - The new revised Clutch TSB 10-3-8

Grabber

Perhaps the PCM update is to adjust the RPM to allow a smoother release. The problem with that part is that we will all have to reinstall the factory airbox before having the PCM updated.

I have mastered the RPM's needed to drive my car and use the clutch in all conditions. If that's the case.....I will pass.

Perhaps the PCM update is to adjust the RPM to allow a smoother release. The problem with that part is that we will all have to reinstall the factory airbox before having the PCM updated.

If that is the case, I'm find with not doing it as well. All I have is it "feels" and "sounds" (a little clunk sound) a little different when going into 3rd about 50% of the time now. It's intermittant, so will be a bear to demo for the shop if I decide to take it back for an opinion.

Still have not taken my factory air box back off after having the TSB done since it was so recently done. What a difference a week makes.

Grabber, should i get mine done. My car had the flywheel and trans replaced in Jan or Feb 2008 . I guess from the paperwork i have just obtained the car got stuck in gear at 6 miles on the odometer. per the paper work new transmission and clutch and flywheel installed. It must be the old flywheel correct. I talk to my dealer and he told me they woul do it but my car drives good he says. What do you think? Should I wait till my warrenty is up because I still have 2 more years on it. I only have 1800 miles on the car and it seems to drive good, but i do get chatter in first and reverse when she is warmer and I have been driving it for long periods. I am nervous they will make it wore for some reason. What you think? Im glad i didnt do the last one because now there is 2 newer TSB's :confused:

Fellas, you're not going to be able to do anything unless you actually have a problem. Ford will NOT fix something that's not broken (and I don't blame them)

The bottom line is...If you have a problem, bring the car in for service. If it's fine, drive it !

Chuck, you need to get rid of your car already...or bring it back to the dealer who "fixed" it the 1st time.

Fellas, you're not going to be able to do anything unless you actually have a problem. Ford will NOT fix something that's not broken (and I don't blame them)

The bottom line is...If you have a problem, bring the car in for service. If it's fine, drive it !

Chuck, you need to get rid of your car already...or bring it back to the dealer who "fixed" it the 1st time.

+1 on the mech advice.

+10 on the Chuck advice.

If a satisfactory reason for the "reflash" does not surface,

then definately refuse this as part of the repair??????

I asked my dealer/service advisor about the reflash. He said it would wipe our tunes out. He thought that they must be messing wioth the RPM's or de-tuning the car a bit.

I asked my dealer/service advisor about the reflash. He said it would wipe our tunes out. He thought that they must be messing wioth the RPM's or de-tuning the car a bit.

Thank's Rob;

Definately not satisfactory to do this???????

I looked at the new flash from Ford, its not a performance de-tune or anything sinister like that. There is very little on the calibration end that I see changed, they may have changed the strategy (operating system) to fix some quirks in the way the PCM processes code (like a new version of your windows operating system).

Other than the hassle of having to put your car back to stock, I don't really see any issues with it.

I would also like to add, after talking to other performance shops and dealerships, a lot of people burn up clutches in these cars in as little as 5000 miles, even with stock engines driven on the street and not drag raced. If you do that more than once, its user error, not a ford part problem. You can probably get one free clutch out of ford, sometimes two. I have 9k hard miles on mine with no problem.

I looked at the new flash from Ford, its not a performance de-tune or anything sinister like that. There is very little on the calibration end that I see changed, they may have changed the strategy (operating system) to fix some quirks in the way the PCM processes code (like a new version of your windows operating system).

Other than the hassle of having to put your car back to stock, I don't really see any issues with it.

Thanks for looking into this Justin.

I'm leaving mine alone. The new clutch operates fine.

I had my TSB done prior to this new one and I did replace the CSC on my own dime as a precaution. They charged me about $300 total. I am going to contact FCS for a "potential" refund. What the hell...it's only my time on the phone at this point!

I think I figured out what and why they are having the PCM reprogramed to a newer update.

It has to do with this other TSB that came out 2 weeks before this new clutch TSB.

HESITATION LOSS OF RPM LOW IDLE TSB10-02-03.pdf

HESITATION LOSS OF RPM LOW IDLE TSB10-02-03.pdf

WTF is Ford thinking. How many freaking revisions do they think they can toss our way?

Why don't they just replace all damaged trannys with new ones and replace all defective clutch kits with the 2010 which has proven to work flawlessly with none of the issues the 07-09 cars have.

I can't believe I am considering buying another GT500 quite frankly after the way Ford has treated its halo car customers.

My gut says tell them to F off and buy the 2010 AMG down the street from me

rant off

And the best part, after all these revisions, is when the service manager says he's never heard of the TSB and/or cannot duplicate customer's complaint! They go out of there way to advoid addressing the problem, instead of going out of there way to making the customer happy. I hate to say it; but I'm just about done with Ford. Chuckstang, if you have the coin, buy the AMG, it's incredibly buttoned down.

I see that the symptom " hiss noise with clutch pedal fully depressed " has been removed from the symptoms list.

Is this not a concern anymore??

I ask because my 3 year warranty is up 3/1/2010 and I just moved the car to clean it and noticed that the hiss is there when the pedal is fully depressed. It does go away after 2 to 3 seconds of holding the pedal down to the floor.

I see that the symptom " hiss noise with clutch pedal fully depressed " has been removed from the symptoms list.

Is this not a concern anymore??

I ask because my 3 year warranty is up 3/1/2010 and I just moved the car to clean it and noticed that the hiss is there when the pedal is fully depressed. It does go away after 2 to 3 seconds of holding the pedal down to the floor.

No doubt your clutch is dragging on the transmission input shaft, it is failing. You may be able to extend the life by using it more frequently and getting it to not stick, I know this doesn't make sense but the guys that use them alot are keeping the rust deposits from forming, thus longer life. My car sits for periods at a time and it failed at 3600 miles.

I would print up an earlier copy of the TSB and help your dealership of choice understand why the clutch/flywheel and bearings need to be changed.

No doubt your clutch is dragging on the transmission input shaft, it is failing. You may be able to extend the life by using it more frequently and getting it to not stick, I know this doesn't make sense but the guys that use them alot are keeping the rust deposits from forming, thus longer life. My car sits for periods at a time and it failed at 3600 miles.

I would print up an earlier copy of the TSB and help your dealership of choice understand why the clutch/flywheel and bearings need to be changed.

Just got off the phone with the service guy I deal with for the mustang and my f-250.

Basically told me that I am out of luck because it is out of warranty period.

Car has 4800 miles on it, and I drive it mostly on the weekends.

Sounds like aftermarket may be the better way to go considering they are talking $5000 from the dealer for OEM parts.

Just got off the phone with the service guy I deal with for the mustang and my f-250.

Basically told me that I am out of luck because it is out of warranty period.

Car has 4800 miles on it, and I drive it mostly on the weekends.

Sounds like aftermarket may be the better way to go considering they are talking $5000 from the dealer for OEM parts.

I thought you said that your warranty was not up untill March 1st 2010. Last time I checked it was still Feb. 26th. headscratch.gif

I thought you said that your warranty was not up untill March 1st 2010. Last time I checked it was still Feb. 26th. headscratch.gif

Yes, you are correct Grabber. But 3/1 is when I received the car. The sales contract says 2/232007

I don't know. They say one thing and do another.

When I told him about the symptoms and I said I felt that it was a TSB issue, I was asked where I hear such ridiculous things.

Supposed to call him in the morning with the vin# so they can run it.

I am going to go down in the morning and talk to the service guy I deal with and see if I can get any where with him or his manager.

Thanks for all of the info you have posted here Grabber. It is very helpful.

Will post their response when I get back from the dealer.

Yes, you are correct Grabber. But 3/1 is when I received the car. The sales contract says 2/232007

I don't know. They say one thing and do another.

When I told him about the symptoms and I said I felt that it was a TSB issue, I was asked where I hear such ridiculous things.

Supposed to call him in the morning with the vin# so they can run it.

I am going to go down in the morning and talk to the service guy I deal with and see if I can get any where with him or his manager.

Thanks for all of the info you have posted here Grabber. It is very helpful.

Will post their response when I get back from the dealer.

Tell them to read the TSB again. It says the hiss is normal during engagement and disengagement. That is very true.

IT IS NOT NORMAL for the car to hiss after you push the clutch pedal to the floor. Even before the clutch pedal hits the floor, the clutch should be disengaged and fact you hear hiss for 1-3 seconds afterwards means the synchros are still loaded by engine torque from the clutch dragging and you get hard to shift or in worse cases, if the clutch drags constantly, you get blocked out of gear while stopped.

Any good SVT engineer at Ford will agree with what I'm telling you. Make the dealer do the right thing. Print my post and remember it and tell them what I'm telling you.

Edited by Grabber

Tell them to read the TSB again. It says the hiss is normal during engagement and disengagement. That is very true.

IT IS NOT NORMAL for the car to hiss after you push the clutch pedal to the floor. Even before the clutch pedal hits the floor, the clutch should be disengaged and fact you hear hiss for 1-3 seconds afterwards means the synchros are still loaded by engine torque from the clutch dragging and you get hard to shift or in worse cases, if the clutch drags constantly, you get blocked out of gear while stopped.

Any good SVT engineer at Ford will agree with what I'm telling you. Make the dealer do the right thing. Print my post and remember it and tell them what I'm telling you.

Again, another story about a dealer that doesn't want to perform this TSB. Why is that? They spend more energy trying not to do it, than just fixing the darn thing and keeping a happy customer. There are two '07-'09 Shelbys out there. Those that have had the TSB done, and those that will need it. Ford is just gambling on your vehicle making it out of warranty so they can then charge you five grand to fix it.

I won't pay them 5 grand to fix it. That much I flat out refuse.

I have to bring the car in on Monday so their master tech can check it out.

Told him that warranty expired 2/23/2010 per my sales agreement. The service guy that I spoke with told me that Ford is dealing with the GT 500 differently in terms of warranty. :headscratch:

Not sure what exactly this means, but will let you guys know if you are interested.

Oh, by the way, this is the same servicing dealer that gladly takes my money to service my F-250 for the past 90,000 miles at ALL regular intervals as required, my GT500 for regular oil changes at $100 + a pop, my company Ford van, my son's 06 Mustang GT, and all of the numerous Ford trucks I have had in the past.

Hopefully they will do the right thing here.

guys guys, dont worry about hissing and this and that

you will know it if your clutch is dragging

If you listen close enough you will convince yourself you have a problem but if you are not grinding into gear or getting locked in or out of gear, you are fine, drive and enjoy until you start loosing your clutch then upgrade with an aftermarket or the 2010 setup

I have talked to the guy that designed the redesigned clutch personally and he told me it was still crap and his honest best advice is to go with an aftermarket or a 2010 if you are having the same issues again with the new parts. This is why Ford is not replacing peoples clutches twice like in situations like mine because and I quote, we are not confident the post tsb clutch setup will not fail again.

Believe what you want, but thats the truth

I just ordered a Spec SS and if weather is decent, I should have it installed in a week or 2.

Weather is getting a little better already and I could not stand to go another nice driving season with the POS factory clutch

I have a 11/06 build date and I thought we have a 5 year 60,000 mile drive train warranty?

They seem to only warranty the clutch for 36 months even know the root cause of the problem is the flywheel warping because it gets hot.