TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP 605 HP Supercharger Upgrade

PaulW

Hi Folks,

Looking for some input on having the stock KR supercharger swapped out for the FRPP Supercharger. From what I understand our KRs might be a bit underrated at 540 peak HP and the FRPP has a peak rating of 605HP. If our KR actually makes about 575 HP then the swap would only net me 30 or so more peak HP. Does anyone have any dyno graphs of the two superchargers on an otherwise stock enging (i.e. no throttle body swap or mass air meter swap, just a swap of the two superchargers)? I'm betting that there is a nice bump in HP all along the RPM range with the FRPP such that the peak HP number doesn't tell the whole story but I can't find any straight up comparison.

I'm only considering this swap since the FRPP unit:

1) fits without any hood or strut tower mods

2) is used in the Shelby KR upfitter package (but I don't want the whole package)

3) comes with a warranty from Ford

4) is a straight forward swap that a couple of shops here in Jersey can do (or even the dealer)

But, I need more info to justifiy the $5,500 installed price of the swap.

Some "seat of the pants" comparison info would be good too. At this point I'm not planning to swap out anything else as I'm trying (but its not easy) to keep my KR fairly stock.

TIA,

Paul

Paul, here is my .02 get the FRPP much more potential than stock and you are swapping the whole unit.

Stock power on the KR is about 475-500hp at the wheel, the TVS will definitely get you a nice boost no matter what! you can even change to a 2.6 pulley and go custom tune and blow the stock rating out the window.

Keep in mind that the TVS kit is going for significantly less now, have seen it for sale areound 4k, dont pay $1500 to have it installed, that's a ripoff.

Paul, here is my .02 get the FRPP much more potential than stock and you are swapping the whole unit.

Stock power on the KR is about 475-500hp at the wheel, the TVS will definitely get you a nice boost no matter what! you can even change to a 2.6 pulley and go custom tune and blow the stock rating out the window.

Keep in mind that the TVS kit is going for significantly less now, have seen it for sale areound 4k, dont pay $1500 to have it installed, that's a ripoff.

Thanks for the advice and I think I agree with you. I was just hoping that there were some dyno charts out there to help convince me. I think I've seen or heard of some KR stock dyno pulls that were around 510 to 520 hp at the rear wheels which would put them in the 560 to 570 range, right (I know it depends on the dyno, etc.).

Can you shoot me a PM with a hint on where I can pick up the unit for $4k as I haven't seen them for less than about $4,500 and I was thinking that about $1k would cover installation and some dyno time, but if I can get it for $4k and say maybe $500 to $750 for the install then my decision is getting all that much easier!

PaulW,

Order from tousley(sp) ford they will do like 3800.00 shipped on sc only. Also I have not seen any KR dyno as high as you think. I would think you may see 460whp and I think evo or lethal could chime in here. It has an air intake and different tune over stock gt500. As far as HP goes thats it. i thought the same until I bought my KR and made a few runs with other cars. I went with the upper and lower pulley and tune, shelby HE with fans and my car is making 576whp and 591wlbft on 91 pump gas. It is way faster then stock. Cars I was losing by 3-4 cars I run dead even with now. I know a local gt500 made 612whp on the tvs set up from ford and a bit of a custom tune, stock pulley. I think you should see about 600whp on the tvs alone and 650whp with pulley upgrades. I am looking at doing tvs next but will do TB next and see how close I can get to the 600whp mark before I dump the 4k in blower and install. Also I am being told 1-2hrs install. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice and I think I agree with you. I was just hoping that there were some dyno charts out there to help convince me. I think I've seen or heard of some KR stock dyno pulls that were around 510 to 520 hp at the rear wheels which would put them in the 560 to 570 range, right (I know it depends on the dyno, etc.).

Can you shoot me a PM with a hint on where I can pick up the unit for $4k as I haven't seen them for less than about $4,500 and I was thinking that about $1k would cover installation and some dyno time, but if I can get it for $4k and say maybe $500 to $750 for the install then my decision is getting all that much easier!

Tousley is the place! ask for Steve!

my car with the FRPP kit which is the same kit as the Kr made 465whp stock, with a tune and the JLT it made 515, so go figure. I'm sure with the intake and a FRPP TVS you will be up there, best recommendation, get the FRPP tvs only and then get the FRPP maf and TB and get a custom tune.

Hi Folks,

Looking for some input on having the stock KR supercharger swapped out for the FRPP Supercharger. From what I understand our KRs might be a bit underrated at 540 peak HP and the FRPP has a peak rating of 605HP. If our KR actually makes about 575 HP then the swap would only net me 30 or so more peak HP. Does anyone have any dyno graphs of the two superchargers on an otherwise stock enging (i.e. no throttle body swap or mass air meter swap, just a swap of the two superchargers)? I'm betting that there is a nice bump in HP all along the RPM range with the FRPP such that the peak HP number doesn't tell the whole story but I can't find any straight up comparison.

2) is used in the Shelby KR upfitter package (but I don't want the whole package)

4) is a straight forward swap that a couple of shops here in Jersey can do (or even the dealer)

Some "seat of the pants" comparison info would be good too. At this point I'm not planning to swap out anything else as I'm trying (but its not easy) to keep my KR fairly stock.

TIA,

Paul

I have the TVS in my KR but it is in there with a bunch of other mods. For space sake here I'll just say check out my profile page. I list all the work I did to the KR and there are a few links that show some before and after of the car as well. For the record I got my work done at a place in Freehold called JDM Engineering. They came highly recommended to me from my Ford dealer and two others who have had work done on their GT500's there. They were great to work with and came to South Jersey to trailer the car so I wouldn't have to put any mileage on it. I spoke with Jim Jr.. He was very knowledgeable and very helpful. It helps that he is a huge Mustang guy and his dad worked for Ford for 25 years!

Performance wise with all the work complete my car is putting out a conservative 661 RWHP on the JDM Dyno, and I say conservative only because JDM kept the timing relatively low since the engine is still so new. They didn't want me damaging the car. I will bring it back in around 1k miles and up the timing and thus the RWHP to 700RWHP.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your car!!

What all is involved in the swap? Blower, plugs, tune? Is it a simple unbolt, new gasket and bolt back up?

It really depends on what you want to get out of the car.I got the new blower but then I followed it up with the MAF, TB & 60lb. injectors, & a new upper pulley. There was also a new tune put in at the end of all that to maximize it for the most RWHP I could get without damage. I mentioned this in another thread I think but the guys at JDM limited the timing on mine so that I wouldn't do damage since the engine was so new. I only had 600 miles on the car at the time of upgrades.

To answer the second part, yes it was that simple according to JDM. They said that TVS swap is as basic as it gets.

Thanks. What I am wondering is really 2 things:

1 - What other parts besides the blower are required for the swap?

2 - Just confirming that returning back to factory stock is as simple as unbolting the blower

Sorry about that. Yes it is my understanding that if you do nothing else aside from the TVS blower then you will have no issues. Swap the upgrade in and if you decide to replace it back to the stock blower then so be it. I misunderstood your question, sorry. I had the same concerns so I kept all the original parts as well, just in case. But the mods get addictive. Be warned!! Once you start.....

Dino

Hi Folks,

TIA,

Paul

Hello Paul, sounds like you want to be careful. I have a stock TVS/FRPP tune on my stock GT500 with 3.73's and love it. I recommend having your favorite Ford dealer order one up for you and have them install it. You keep your warranty for another 12 months and afterwards can go from there. Ask for the 10% discount on the TVS and paying 5 or 6 hours labor is fair too. You will be happy, save money, keep your warranty. Just my opinion. It's the SC your car should have come with. Good Luck

Hello Paul, sounds like you want to be careful. I have a stock TVS/FRPP tune on my stock GT500 with 3.73's and love it. I recommend having your favorite Ford dealer order one up for you and have them install it. You keep your warranty for another 12 months and afterwards can go from there. Ask for the 10% discount on the TVS and paying 5 or 6 hours labor is fair too. You will be happy, save money, keep your warranty. Just my opinion. It's the SC your car should have come with. Good Luck

Totally agree. Best mod for the money, oem look and drivability. The only thing i would suggest is if you want to save some money and you don't care about the piss-ant 1 yr warranty, install it yourself. It's so easy, and you know it's done right.

Thanks. What I am wondering is really 2 things:

1 - What other parts besides the blower are required for the swap?

2 - Just confirming that returning back to factory stock is as simple as unbolting the blower

hey tx cobra i did mine at the house, pretty easy to do. i also did the complete shelby cooling package, ohh i also did the 2.65 pulley for the tvs .plugs also.

Paul: Tried reaching you the other day. Your a tough guy to get a hold of. I was going to ask you some of these same questions.

I am also considering the upgraded TVS supercharger but I have warranty concerns.

If a Ford dealer installs do we jeopardize the warranty?

Does the tune need to be changed? If so to what? Do you need to upgrade the injectors?

Will a FRPP throttle body void the warranty?

Also for the uninformed (thats me) could one of you guys define the above abrieviations like MAF, TB etc...

With the added HP do the brakes need to be changed. The stock Brembos are very good but once you start uping HP I know you should be thinking about brakes. I was thinking of maybe upgrading the Brembos in the front and rear with Brembo slotted and drilled rotors and color coordinated calipers. Will the slotted and cross drilled rotors improve braking? What about EBC red stuff pads. Are they any good?

Thanks for the help. :salute:

Paul: Tried reaching you the other day. Your a tough guy to get a hold of. I was going to ask you some of these same questions.

I am also considering the upgraded TVS supercharger but I have warranty concerns.

If a Ford dealer installs do we jeopardize the warranty? your powertrain warranty is 1 year 12k miles at that point

Does the tune need to be changed? If so to what? Do you need to upgrade the injectors? tune is included with the full kit and no on the injectors and should be fine with the FRPP TB, also if you do the FRPP MAF tube the tune needs to be modified, its huge!

Will a FRPP throttle body void the warranty? i would say no, but its up to the dealer, you would be better off doing this after the install of the s/c, its pretty easy really 4 bolts and some connectors...

Also for the uninformed (thats me) could one of you guys define the above abrieviations like MAF, TB etc... maf is mass air flow sensor or maf tube, tb throttle body

With the added HP do the brakes need to be changed. The stock Brembos are very good but once you start uping HP I know you should be thinking about brakes. I was thinking of maybe upgrading the Brembos in the front and rear with Brembo slotted and drilled rotors and color coordinated calipers. should be fine as long as you dont track the car.

Thanks for the help. :salute:

If a Ford dealer installs do we jeopardize the warranty?

Does the tune need to be changed? If so to what? Do you need to upgrade the injectors?

Will a FRPP throttle body void the warranty?

Also for the uninformed (thats me) could one of you guys define the above abrieviations like MAF, TB etc...

With the added HP do the brakes need to be changed. The stock Brembos are very good but once you start uping HP I know you should be thinking about brakes. I was thinking of maybe upgrading the Brembos in the front and rear with Brembo slotted and drilled rotors and color coordinated calipers. Will the slotted and cross drilled rotors improve braking? What about EBC red stuff pads. Are they any good?

Thanks for the help. salute.gif

Hi Evan,

Sorry, I've been traveling a bit and pretty busy at work. I located a good price on the FRPP kit but I also sent an email to our dealer to get their price as I think they'll be more reasonable on the install if they sell me the kit. I need to check with them to find out if the kit has to be installed by a Ford dealer to be eligible for the 12 month 12k mile warranty but I suspect that it will be less problematic if its purchased and installed by them (although I'm not expecting any warranty problems as the kit is designed conservatively). The FRPP kit comes with a new tune that is a little more conservative then some of the aftermarket tunes but that is why they offer the warranty (i.e. the timing and fuel maping curves are "safer", etc.). My plan is to have the kit installed soon and then after the 12 month warranty is up, possibly have the CJ throttle body and MAF meter installed.

With that kind of hp from the FRPP/TVS supercharger the intake and exhaust restrictions will be the next limiting factors. I think the cat back exhaust on the KR flows well but I need to research the factory exhaust manifolds/headers to see if there is much to be gained to swapping to larger headers (i.e. 1 7/8 primaries). Getting air in is also an issue. The throttle body (TB) could be larger with the Cobra Jet twin 63.5mm twin inlets (compared to the stock twin 60mm inlets). And the Mass Air Meter (measures how much air is going into the engine for the computer and is in the inlet tube between the air cleaner to the trottle body) could be larger. I think the stock MAF meter is 113mm while the Cobra Jet meter is 123mm. After upgrading the throttle body and MAF meter the air flow restriction will be gone but I think a custom tune will need to be installed (still researching it) so the computer recognizes the new TB and MAF and can take advantage of the increased air flow (without the new tune the motor might run lean or rich as the computer doesn't understand what is going on and tries to compensate) so the full potential will not be recognized. So, evenn though the TB and MAF would be Ford parts I think the warranty would be voided when they are installed as the FRPP tune would no longer work properly and an aftermarket tune would void the warranty (so either with or without a new tune the warranty would probably be gone depending on how flexible the dealer is). I may decide to stay with the stock throttle body, MAF and FRPP tune as it would also make it easier for the dealer to continue to provide ongoing maintainence since they wouldn't have to worry about accidently overwritting the custome tune when its in for diognostics/service (another reason I'm hoping to work out a good installed price from them on the FRPP kit installation - I'll let you know what I find out from them and maybe we can get a "combo" deal on 2).

Hi Evan,

Sorry, I've been traveling a bit and pretty busy at work. I located a good price on the FRPP kit but I also sent an email to our dealer to get their price as I think they'll be more reasonable on the install if they sell me the kit. I need to check with them to find out if the kit has to be installed by a Ford dealer to be eligible for the 12 month 12k mile warranty but I suspect that it will be less problematic if its purchased and installed by them (although I'm not expecting any warranty problems as the kit is designed conservatively). The FRPP kit comes with a new tune that is a little more conservative then some of the aftermarket tunes but that is why they offer the warranty (i.e. the timing and fuel maping curves are "safer", etc.). My plan is to have the kit installed soon and then after the 12 month warranty is up, possibly have the CJ throttle body and MAF meter installed.

With that kind of hp from the FRPP/TVS supercharger the intake and exhaust restrictions will be the next limiting factors. I think the cat back exhaust on the KR flows well but I need to research the factory exhaust manifolds/headers to see if there is much to be gained to swapping to larger headers (i.e. 1 7/8 primaries). Getting air in is also an issue. The throttle body (TB) could be larger with the Cobra Jet twin 63.5mm twin inlets (compared to the stock twin 60mm inlets). And the Mass Air Meter (measures how much air is going into the engine for the computer and is in the inlet tube between the air cleaner to the trottle body) could be larger. I think the stock MAF meter is 113mm while the Cobra Jet meter is 123mm. After upgrading the throttle body and MAF meter the air flow restriction will be gone but I think a custom tune will need to be installed (still researching it) so the computer recognizes the new TB and MAF and can take advantage of the increased air flow (without the new tune the motor might run lean or rich as the computer doesn't understand what is going on and tries to compensate) so the full potential will not be recognized. So, evenn though the TB and MAF would be Ford parts I think the warranty would be voided when they are installed as the FRPP tune would no longer work properly and an aftermarket tune would void the warranty (so either with or without a new tune the warranty would probably be gone depending on how flexible the dealer is). I may decide to stay with the stock throttle body, MAF and FRPP tune as it would also make it easier for the dealer to continue to provide ongoing maintainence since they wouldn't have to worry about accidently overwritting the custome tune when its in for diognostics/service (another reason I'm hoping to work out a good installed price from them on the FRPP kit installation - I'll let you know what I find out from them and maybe we can get a "combo" deal on 2).

Maybe "we" can set a "combo" deal on 3. :yup:

Steve at Tousely Ford sells the TVS kit for $4,010 shipped, phone # 800 328 9552.

Not a KR owner, but I just installed a tvs on my gt500 from that I got used from a new KR owner (STCOBRA)! :) I use to run the stock blower with 2.6 pulley, cai, it put out 530rwhp, I ran a 7.4 at 99.5 mph in the 1/8 mile at the track which equals to around 11.4 et, this was only the 3rd time down the track so more could of been had with stock blower. Anyways, the TVS I got used had the vmp 2.6 pulley on it, I got a updated tune from VMP, what a difference over stock with 2.6 pulley, it pulls very hard now.

Justin at VMP says it should get around 600rwhp with stock t/b, stock t/b is choking the tvs s/c, that will be the first area to be addressed. As far as installing, very easy, the tvs is same size as stock blower, everything fits just like stock one. I am a ford tech, it probably took me a little over 1 hour to do and this is the first time I took a blower off a gt500. I wouldn't let a dealership charge more than 3-4 to install btw.

Paul: Thanks for the info.

I'm still on the fence whether to modify. I am starting to lean back to just letting the KR be a KR as it came from the factory. Preservation instead of modification.

It is tempting though.

I may just put the Shelby aluminum peddle kit (I think they look great) on and the sequential turn signal kit and call it a day.

I go back and forth. There are pluses to modification and pluses to leaving it all factory orignial. Its driving me nuts. :confused:

Paul: Thanks for the info.

I'm still on the fence whether to modify. I am starting to lean back to just letting the KR be a KR as it came from the factory. Preservation instead of modification.

It is tempting though.

I may just put the Shelby aluminum peddle kit (I think they look great) on and the sequential turn signal kit and call it a day.

I go back and forth. There are pluses to modification and pluses to leaving it all factory orignial. Its driving me nuts. :confused:

Mod away!! I would just keep the factory take off parts in case you decide to return it to stock...

The TVS is is an absolute knock out as performance upgrades go. The difference over the stock GT500 or KR is profound. Significant power increase at every point in the RPM range and not just large peak #s. There are other S/Cs that yeild even higher outputs but require substantial suspension mods to utilize these power levels in the real world.

• 3 months later...

Thats a good question. I don't know how the TVS will affect an extended warranty. I believe the TVS drops the standard warranty to only a year on engine power train.

You need to call the company that issued the extended warranty or Ford if they issued it.

Thats a good question. I don't know how the TVS will affect an extended warranty. I believe the TVS drops the standard warranty to only a year on engine power train.

You need to call the company that issued the extended warranty or Ford if they issued it.

Thanks,

I am going to try and call FORD tomorrow... I would think being it is offered in the KR Uplift package it would not lower my Warr but I do not want to take any chances...

Archived