TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Noise......

OK, so lately I have been having this ticking/minor sound coming from the either the rear quarter panels/windows/seats or maybe its the suspension. It is not a squeaking noise and it is continuous while I'm driving. I checked under the car and everything is tight from exhaust hangers to suspension parts. There is one more place where I have yet to look under or at which is the rear seat and the plastic surrounding cover. Does anyone have a diagram or idea as to how to remove the rear seat and plastic moldings around the quarter window? I was pulling on some stuff but I don't want to break something :fool:

The vehicle is still under warranty but I'd rather fish fot the noise myself before going to the dealer. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :rockon:

BTW, I have tried to cancel the noise by turning the shaker 1000 up but sometimes I just want to hear my exhaust :banvictory:

No idea what it may be but maybe you can pull the lower half of the seat and get back and listen? On the passenger side you also have the fuel level sensors and float while on the driver's side you have all the pump stuff and in either case sound travels and bounces so I'm only guessing here of other things back there that move about.

No idea what it may be but maybe you can pull the lower half of the seat and get back and listen? On the passenger side you also have the fuel level sensors and float while on the driver's side you have all the pump stuff and in either case sound travels and bounces so I'm only guessing here of other things back there that move about.

+1 on the sound traveling and bouncing around. Especially in the interior. Chris, before you go all out, be sure to take a ride and have a passenger in the front seat. First thing I would check based on the noise you describe are the chrome vents in the dash on both your side and the passenger side. These vents are notorious for making the noise you describe. I have 2 right now that do this and one day I will pull them to see if a little masking tape on the back side will stop it once I position them where I want them. Also, don't forget that there was a TSB for the pillar post rattle. I think all they did to fix that was add some some more foam, small patches to the backside of the trim. If it is none of this, rear seat removal is very easy. Just move front seats all the way forward and then put a knee against the leading edge of the rear bench and lift up. Bench should come right out. If you have to go further, you will need to remove the bolt which anchors the seat belt at the top side. The front plactic cover lifts up to expose the bolt. The bottom section of the trim snaps in place as I recall. Note you will need to unsnap the scuff plate just enough at the rear where it overlaps the qtr trim and if you remove the top pc of the qtr trim you will need to pull down on the upper trim at the door for the overlap as well. NOTE --the upper pc of trim at the qtr windows will unsnap but once the snaps give, you will need to pull the pc foward in order for it to release...once out you'll see why. Make sure you remove the coat hanger prior to unsnapping the upper trim pc. I did not remove the electrical connection to the rear window defogger as it's not necessary as long as you are careful and work it out of the way when pulling the upper trim panel. Hope that helps, but again -- try the obvious aka vents and pillar trim first if you have not already....Craig

+1 on the sound traveling and bouncing around. Especially in the interior. Chris, before you go all out, be sure to take a ride and have a passenger in the front seat. First thing I would check based on the noise you describe are the chrome vents in the dash on both your side and the passenger side. These vents are notorious for making the noise you describe. I have 2 right now that do this and one day I will pull them to see if a little masking tape on the back side will stop it once I position them where I want them. Also, don't forget that there was a TSB for the pillar post rattle. I think all they did to fix that was add some some more foam, small patches to the backside of the trim. If it is none of this, rear seat removal is very easy. Just move front seats all the way forward and then put a knee against the leading edge of the rear bench and lift up. Bench should come right out. If you have to go further, you will need to remove the bolt which anchors the seat belt at the top side. The front plactic cover lifts up to expose the bolt. The bottom section of the trim snaps in place as I recall. Note you will need to unsnap the scuff plate just enough at the rear where it overlaps the qtr trim and if you remove the top pc of the qtr trim you will need to pull down on the upper trim at the door for the overlap as well. NOTE --the upper pc of trim at the qtr windows will unsnap but once the snaps give, you will need to pull the pc foward in order for it to release...once out you'll see why. Make sure you remove the coat hanger prior to unsnapping the upper trim pc. I did not remove the electrical connection to the rear window defogger as it's not necessary as long as you are careful and work it out of the way when pulling the upper trim panel. Hope that helps, but again -- try the obvious aka vents and pillar trim first if you have not already....Craig

Thanks for the information. So I sat in the back seat today and had my wife drive my SGT and yes it seems like it is coming from that pillar part that is why I wanted the instructions as to how to get to that area w/o breaking parts. I will be attempting to get to that area within this week. Yes, I too have the vents rattle on cold days along with the rear suspension squeak only at certain angles when I drive over large bumps. We have been having some unusual cold temps here in Miami :banghead: Once again thanks for the step by step, will keep ya posted.

Hopefully it is the pillar noise, anything after that it will be taken to the dealer because fuel pumps and so on are not something within my mechanical scope :hysterical:

Also make sure it's not the small panels behind/under the silver door handles. Mine rattle like crazy and sometimes sound like it's coming from the back.

I have this issue on the passanger side and it drives me nuts. I just haven't had the time to address it. I'll have to check the A piller as well. Thanks for the repost Grabber.

Thanks Grabber for the links. So when around and started to dig around and pulled the rear seats up and those suckers popped right off, nothing was loose, I believe the two round things are the fuel pumps?

DSC06321.jpg

In any case, I put the seat back together and went for the A pillar and surprisingly I had the pads installed I guess by the factory on both pillars, sorry, pics was kind of dark.

DSC06323.jpg

DSC06324.jpg

Ok, so no noise from that front area, my noise comes mostly from the rear area. I took the car for a drive to diagnose it again and pressed the edge of the A pillar piece where there are clips on near the seat belt are and it took some of the noise away so I believe the noise must be coming from under the panel of the seat belt area which I couldn't figure for the life of me as to how to take the hanger thing off and if the seat belt has to come off, if someone has a idea please share it :happy feet: .

This is the area I need instructions of...

DSC06322.jpg

This is the part of the area I pressed on while driving the car( I know its not safe to do that but I was alone on the road) and it took some noise away but not all.

DSC06327.jpg

Now I was messing around taking some pics and playing with the pics/computer. Not a pro by far :hysterical:

DSC06345.gif

DSC06348.gif

DSC06346.jpg

just take a small screw driver and lift the insert cover on the hanger which covers the screw. Then grab the black cover w/ your hand at the seat belt and pull from the top side, it snaps right off. Craig....

Thanks Craig, I will try it tomorrow and see what's under that cover.

I got the " what the heck did you buy now" from the wife :slapfight:

Archived