TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake Exhaust

Sabregl

I'm curious to know if the Super Snake has the same exhaust set up as the KR. I've heard the KR and I love the sound. I'm considering the Super Snake package but have never heard the car in real life. Are they the same systems. If not, how are they different and which sounds better?

Thanks.

Not the same. The SS has a quieter exhaust note. I heard both side-by-side when i picked up my SS. I was told that the SS was made more "subtle" so as to feature the supercharger noise more at WOT.

Having said that the KR mufflers sound GREAT and i have a pair being installed right now on my SS.

I bought from Blue oval industries, Genuine Ford part number (#M-5230-S). $539 shipped.

Ron

Not the same. The SS has a quieter exhaust note. I heard both side-by-side when i picked up my SS. I was told that the SS was made more "subtle" so as to feature the supercharger noise more at WOT.

Having said that the KR mufflers sound GREAT and i have a pair being installed right now on my SS.

I bought from Blue oval industries, Genuine Ford part number (#M-5230-S). $539 shipped.

Ron

I put the jba headers and exhaust on my 07 ss sounds great

IMO, the SS exhaust was to quiet, so I changed to the KR mufflers. They have a sweet sound with no drone. but still not aggressive enough for me. Now I have Dynateck long tube headers with custom mufflers from Alex ( vaper08GT500 ). Now I have the best sounding exhaust system, IMO.

I'm curious to know if the Super Snake has the same exhaust set up as the KR. I've heard the KR and I love the sound. I'm considering the Super Snake package but have never heard the car in real life. Are they the same systems. If not, how are they different and which sounds better?

Thanks.

I put my stock 2.5" exhaust set-up, Borla cat-back (which was part of the Super Snake conversion) and "log-type" cast iron manifolds in the attic, all wrapped in bubble. I chose the Ford Racing ceramic shorties and the full 3" optional Super Snake 700 JBA exhaust offered in the SPP catalog. I also chose the "high flow cats" option. It was louder than I expected, but I like it. It was such a change from the original Super Snake set-up that it caught me by suprise at first. I like the look of the "Shelby by JBA" tips also, that are part of this Super Snake 700 set-up.

Picturedownload5-2-09035-1.jpg

Picturedownload5-2-09035.jpg

I chose the shorties because one never knows when their state is suddenly going to be "green", and I want the option of quickly being able to reinstall my "green friendly", original 2.5" exhaust with Borla cat-back, "if" that time comes and the inspections begin.

In addition to the sound upgrade that you are asking about, the visual upgrade of a ceramic header in comparision to a rusty cast iron log is night and day......

Now...........

Picturedownload5-2-09036.jpg

Before...........

100_2431.jpg

Now.........

Picturedownload5-2-09038.jpg

Before...............

100_2435.jpg

R

In addition to the sound upgrade that you are asking about, the visual upgrade of a ceramic header in comparision to a rusty cast iron log is night and day......

How difficult, or not, was it to install the shorty's?

I've heard the long tubes can be a major bitch to install but the shorty instruction sheet makes installation sound pretty simple (reletive to the LT stories).

I'm probably gonna go with the shorty headers too. And now after seeing yours, coated is the way to go.

TIA,

Phill Pollard

2010 Kona Blue/White GT500

How difficult, or not, was it to install the shorty's?

I've heard the long tubes can be a major bitch to install but the shorty instruction sheet makes installation sound pretty simple (reletive to the LT stories).

I'm probably gonna go with the shorty headers too. And now after seeing yours, coated is the way to go.

TIA,

Phill Pollard

2010 Kona Blue/White GT500

Phill - A friend of mine did the header install on his lift. He said that the shorties are a pain in the (you know what) also. Since the original manifolds are studded and nutted, the cast iron logs have to be slipped over the ends of the studs on each side before they can be removed. He covered all painted areas with towels in the areas where the manifolds "could" possibly touch as they were being removed. Then some of the studs were too long and would not work with some of the tubes on the shorties, so a stud remover had to be used, very tight area. Since at that time, and probably now also, the aftermarket does not offer a decent header gasket for the 5.4 DOHC and the gaskets that came with the FRPP shorties were that cheap thin material, I was not going to take a chance on a leaky header gasket and burning/melting the header/manifold surface as hot exhaust gases escaped through the leak, soooo, then came the Big $$$. Ford offers a very nice H.D. header gasket for the 5.4 DOHC, the Ford GT application (same as GT500). Well, there are two per side and I bought all four of them at 20% over cost for a total of $200. Now since we are unable to use "some" of the original studs, since they were too long, the only other option was header bolts, remember, 5.4L (metric). There may be some cheaper header bolts out there on the market, BUT..........if you have been around cars, and headers, you know that they can back out and cause leaks, not good, specially with aluminum heads. So, it was Stage 8 locking header bolts for a 5.4, another $60-$75.

By the time I bought the ceramic shorties (and I shopped around), plus the $200 header gasket set, plus the Stage 8's, plus the knuckle skinning labor from my friend, I had over $1K in the install including the JBA 3", but the 3" was a piece of cake once the shorties were in place.

And yes, ceramic is the way to go, IMHO.

It seems to me that on the drivers side where the oil cooler adapter mounts to the block, the shorty touched, enough so that some material had to be removed from the adapter, nothing strutural, but some material had to be removed. The only other option would have been to heat and bend/twist the shorty, but that would have caused more leaks than could have ever been imagined, and the passenger side was already fully installed.

R

I put a off road x pipe with no cats form Lethal performance on my car, I can't even begin to tell you how much better it sounds. It will be plenty loud enough for me to get in all the trouble I can handle lol. Lethal also says it's good for 15 hp and it is a very easy swap over,only down side is you need a custom tune

IMO, the SS exhaust was to quiet, so I changed to the KR mufflers. They have a sweet sound with no drone. but still not aggressive enough for me. Now I have Dynateck long tube headers with custom mufflers from Alex ( vaper08GT500 ). Now I have the best sounding exhaust system, IMO.

I agree 100%

I installed the same combo on my car that has the same exact Shelby installed SS HP upgrades as you guys.

Yes the long tubes are difficult, even with a lift...but very do-able with basic mechanical knowledge and tools (ok...I did fab up a wrench for two bolts in the left side to save time). I did not have to modify, trim, grind, weld or bend anything with the Dynatech headers. The kit came complete with all hardware and gaskets and has worked flawlessly since install. If you buy from Alex, he will answer any questions any time of day or night (he bailed me out several times).

When I fired the car up after the install...WOW...it finally sounds like a muscle car! I dyno'd the car on Saturday and it sounded awesome from the outside. The car surely sounds way different on the outside than it does while driving it and listening to it from the inside.

I definately recommend this set up. Pics available if you want to see the finished product. Mark

I agree 100%

I installed the same combo on my car that has the same exact Shelby installed SS HP upgrades as you guys.

Yes the long tubes are difficult, even with a lift...but very do-able with basic mechanical knowledge and tools (ok...I did fab up a wrench for two bolts in the left side to save time). I did not have to modify, trim, grind, weld or bend anything with the Dynatech headers. The kit came complete with all hardware and gaskets and has worked flawlessly since install. If you buy from Alex, he will answer any questions any time of day or night (he bailed me out several times).

When I fired the car up after the install...WOW...it finally sounds like a muscle car! I dyno'd the car on Saturday and it sounded awesome from the outside. The car surely sounds way different on the outside than it does while driving it and listening to it from the inside.

I definately recommend this set up. Pics available if you want to see the finished product. Mark

I would have prefered that nothing would have required massaging on the car to get these shorties to fit, but I guess having the header collector in the same location as original manifold, plus the multi-tube header instead of the cast iron log is why things got a little tight/compact in that area. If the collector would not have been in that area, everything would have been fine. It was the header outlet that was in contact with the oil cooler adapter. I was not there for a comparision between the original manifold and the header in this area when installed, but I know that the collector on the FRPP shorty is different looking in overall size and structure of the original GT500 manifold.

R

+1000 Dan!!

Here's a link with some sound clips...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53171-dynatech-racing-headers-x-pipe-packages/page__st__20__p__910610__fromsearch__1entry910610

Alex

I agree 100%

I definately recommend this set up. Pics available if you want to see the fitnished product. Mark

Thanks Mark for the testimonial. It is the ultimate set-up. I have installed and dynoed the shorty headers and they are a waste of time for the minimal power gains.

Alex

Thanks Mark for the testimonial. It is the ultimate set-up. I have installed and dynoed the shorty headers and they are a waste of time for the minimal power gains.

Alex

And the funny thing is, KB says that tubed headers are a waste of time with their blower and their tune. They say they have dyned both short and long extensively vs. cast iron logs. <<<I would never have imagined this................

My take..............it seems that more and more states (like it or not) are getting tighter on the "green thing". If one by one they start to move toward vehicle emissions inspections (and most will), I am not interested in going through the hassle, and it will be a big hassle of changing my exhaust back, at least not what is connected to the cylinder heads, just to get a "pass" so I can renew my license plate and drive my car. A shorty header will pass in an inspectors examination much quicker, where a long tube will fail. If all I have to do is spend an hour or less putting my original exhaust up to the shorty's to get it through, I'm in!!

I am also very satisfied with a 4K lb. car that is capable of high 10's with a simple rear tire change and stock cast iron manifolds and O.E.M. exhaust with only an addition of Borla cat-back, as documented out of a 725 Super Snake.

The shorty's on my car may have not added much more than a visual upgrade, but there seems to be a performance "plus" from that 3" mandrel JBA set-up. The car feels completely different, now vs. then.

But Alex, I must admit that your car sounds good!! I have never stood outside of my car to hear it from the "outside world", I am always inside.

R

Here's another sound clip for you guys with my MMS mufflers on a stock GT500, stock headers, stock cats....

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45226-sound-clips-custom-mms-macs-on-stock-pullied-gt-500-no-headers-stock-x-pipe/

If anyone wants a set I have 2 sets left in stock until the next batch for $599 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 states

Alex

And the funny thing is, KB says that tubed headers are a waste of time with their blower and their tune. They say they have dyned both short and long extensively vs. cast iron logs. <<<I would never have imagined this................

My take..............it seems that more and more states (like it or not) are getting tighter on the "green thing". If one by one they start to move toward vehicle emissions inspections (and most will), I am not interested in going through the hassle, and it will be a big hassle of changing my exhaust back, at least not what is connected to the cylinder heads, just to get a "pass" so I can renew my license plate and drive my car. A shorty header will pass in an inspectors examination much quicker, where a long tube will fail. If all I have to do is spend an hour or less putting my original exhaust up to the shorty's to get it through, I'm in!!

I am also very satisfied with a 4K lb. car that is capable of high 10's with a simple rear tire change and stock cast iron manifolds and O.E.M. exhaust with only an addition of Borla cat-back, as documented out of a 725 Super Snake.

The shorty's on my car may have not added much more than a visual upgrade, but there seems to be a performance "plus" from that 3" mandrel JBA set-up. The car feels completely different, now vs. then.

But Alex, I must admit that your car sounds good!! I have never stood outside of my car to hear it from the "outside world", I am always inside.

Is your jba exhaust cat back or axle back. Stock cats??

R

• 3 years later...

I have a 2008 GT-500 supersnake with the Borla 140222 exhaust;can i replace just the axle-backs ? and the two i thinking of going with are the M-5230-s FRRP or MRT interceptors will they fit the pipe to the mid?thx

I have a 2008 GT-500 supersnake with the Borla 140222 exhaust;can i replace just the axle-backs ? and the two i thinking of going with are the M-5230-s FRRP or MRT interceptors will they fit the pipe to the mid?thx

You would have to research the pipe diameters and see if they are the same and if they are I would guess that "most" axle-backs would attach in relatively the same position (connection location on the pipe(s) ahead of the axle backs).......

R

I had the same Borla setup on my 40th as your SS. I simply swapped out the KR mufflers M-5230-s FRRP for the Borla Touring. They fit just fine. IMO the tips on the KR don't hold a light to the Borla tips. But, the KR mufflers do sound great!

Archived