TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is SA missing out with no 'new' SGTs ?

John Canfield

I don't think we'll see any more pre-title Shelbys in the future, for a couple of reasons. First, I don't think the SGTs were considered that much of a success. Ford didn't advertise or invest in them, so even many Mustang enthusiasts don't know what they are. Even if you spend a lot of time on The Mustang Source, you could easily not notice that SGTs were ever made. They just don't get much press or discussion. (Of course they do here, but that's to be expected.) SGTs lingered on the dealer's lots way too long, and weren't the big money makers the dealers were hoping for like the GT500s were at first. Then on top of that were the quality issues that all of us helped to emphasize so well. Rusting hood pins, rusting exhaust tips, spotting stripes, stripe wrinkles, and of course the infamous hood scoop. All this adds up to something less than what Ford, the dealers, or Shelby had in mind. I can't imagine what it cost SA to fix all those issues through the dealers, but it had to put a damper on the excitement a bit. Now, this doesn't detract, for me, what is IMHO the best thing Shelby has done since 1968. I can't imagine trading my SGT for anything else. It is exactly what I wanted and I wouldn't change a thing, including it's exclusivity. (Well, ok, I'll add the SC eventually.)

Second, Mr. Shelby has plenty of competition now, like Roush, Steeda, Saleen, Foose?, and even Ford. It's probably financially safer, easier, and less of a headache just to deal with Ford and SVT for the mainstream buyer, and keep their business smaller doing post-title mods for the Shelby-philes. Amy has mentioned before how SA is not a gigantic corporation, but a handful of dedicated enthusiasts like us. Gentlemen, we have a very rare and desireable, pre-title Shelby, made at Shelby as in the 60's, in a true image of the original GT-350. We may not have 500 horsepower (ok, not all of us) but this is the car to have. In my opinion.

A lot of great points made here. I'm with ya.

Jer

Archived