TEAM SHELBY FORUM

to SVT or not........

1shetan

2011 vert is on order. We can still decide to add the SVT pakcage or not.........

As for mods, it seems reasonable for the costs.

This car will not see a drag strip. It will see wonderful mountain roads, trips to the ice cream store, and travel to our nations parks for leisure.

so a fair amount of highway miles, and mountain scenery. The 3.73 is not an issue. But what about the suspension? will it be too stiff?

How do your 2010 cars feel when you added RRP3 or other suspensions? How about KR owners? Would you do it again?

We are trying to get an idea of the effects on the overall ride comfort for real world use. I dont want to be glueing my teeth in at every mile marker :drool:

2011 vert is on order. We can still decide to add the SVT pakcage or not.........

As for mods, it seems reasonable for the costs.

This car will not see a drag strip. It will see wonderful mountain roads, trips to the ice cream store, and travel to our nations parks for leisure.

so a fair amount of highway miles, and mountain scenery. The 3.73 is not an issue. But what about the suspension? will it be too stiff?

How do your 2010 cars feel when you added RRP3 or other suspensions? How about KR owners? Would you do it again?

We are trying to get an idea of the effects on the overall ride comfort for real world use. I dont want to be glueing my teeth in at every mile marker :drool:

That why i picked a vert for 2010-i had read that the suspension was 30% softer, which having now driven the coupe id agree with.But its not a real soft ride., just comfy for a few hour rideI have read the 2011 vert is a little stiffer--there should be some reviews on it soon i would think.One thing that helped was the strut tower brace--it definitley improved the whole front end in the corners. I also think the 18in tires with the wider sidewall helps with the vert ride as well--bob

From your description of what you want to do with your GT500, you don't need the upgrades and would probably be happier without them, unless you like the wheels and stripes of the SVT package better.

As for the suspension, on paper, it sounds stiffer with 20" wheels in back, stiffer springs, and revised dampers. That said, I think we will need to hear the reviews to know the difference. I have two GT's with similar suspension mods, but the ride between the two is very different. The one with the Ford Racing suspension is very stiff compared to the other with a Steeda/Tokico suspension. With the Steeda/Tokico suspension, the ride seems exactly like a stock GT but my handling is now comparable to the Ford Racing suspension on my other GT.

If I was getting a 2011 coupe it would be a no-brainer. In a vert, I wanted to ask alot of questions first.

The big plus here is that the structure has been improved so much in the 11s, " almost like a coupe". Still , a bunch of questions is better than a big mistake.

I ordered my 2011 without the SVT packages because the negatives outweighed the positives.

Positives: A little peppier with the 3.73, More track-like suspension, Wheels

Negatives: Stripes, Price, considerably stiffer suspension per Ford's specs, likely higher cruising rpm

It definitely depends on the vehicles you are coming from and the purposes you have for the car. I just want a nice car that will be taken out only on nice days. Its main purpose will be used to and from work along with the weekend rides. I saw no benefit in having the racing suspension. A friend of mine has the race suspension on a Terminator Cobra and it beats me to death. Its something I definitely wouldn't want unless I planned on taking it to the track.

Does Anyone have a gear calculator, or an idea of what the difference in rpms from the 3.55 to the 3.73 will be?

There is no difference in rpm's between a GT500 with and without the SVT package. The gear change is completely negated by the larger tire diameter on the SVT package. So there will be no difference in performance. If they left the 3.55 gears in the SVT package, it would be more sluggish than a base GT500.

The rear tire size for the SVT package is 285/35R20 which is a 28" diameter tire and the base GT500 has a rear tire size of 285/35R19 which is a 26.9" diameter tire. As a result, the engine RPM's will be the same for either combination. 285/35R20 with 3.73 is equal to 285/35R19 with 3.55.

Gear Ratio Chart HERE

wow, if the front is lowered eleven mm and the rear eight when you add a taller rear tire would it have even more of a nose dive rake to the car? I wonder if the profile of that tire is a 30 and not 35,,,,maybe a misprint.

If truly the rear end change is to compensate for the tire then I would not be ordering the svt. The original wheels I feel look better on a black car, plus if I do the rear end and lower the ride height, I would actually be gaining performance with the rear end, and could actually use springs that would not make it stiff, just a bit lower. Great info .

I also ordered mine, two weeks ago, without the SVT package. Have had my share of stiff riding cars over the years and I have no intentions of taking it to the track or drag strip, so it was a no brainer. I too, much prefer the looks of the stock wheel and feel the SVT wheel looks too similar to my 07 stock wheel. I think this SVTPP is really for the " hard core" of our readership who are seeking maximum handling, and therefore will disregard any deterioration in ride quality. As indicated previously, its a matter of individual taste and choice.

The stripes I agree are not esthetic. I could have swallowed the wheels and ordered stripe delete, but if the 3.73 is just to compensate for the tire size, then what I am buying is staggered wheels and stiffer suspension...........that no longer appeals.

The 19" wheels on a vert will make it feel a bit more firm than the 18". I imagine it will handle better due to the increased chassis rigidity alone. Well, we are leaning towards leaving the order alone

triple black with black stripes, and looking into a rear gear change and lowering at a later time (and that is a maybe).

Thanks for the input.

Attached a pic of the rear SVT tire. You can see the size on it. I was a bit disappointed too when I realized the gear change was just to compensate for the larger tires. I think you're right about the rake as well, but gap between the fenders and tires will be filled up front and rear between the drop and tire tire change on the SVT package.

post-3252-126607660665_thumb.jpg

post-3252-126607660665_thumb.jpg

Interesting, I see the tire size for sure now. You are absolutely correct, the bit of lowering they are accomplishing with the springs is still going to keep it tail up in the air.

Disappointed the factory went that direction. I would have loved to see an svt that is lowered eve front to rear with an 11 inch rear, and the 3.73 to improve acceleration, a real cornering machine.

would not hurt to move the front calipers to the rear and put bigger in the front. It is so close to being perfect for me that is.

I am convinced now that it is wiser to get it as is, get some lowering springs that will maintain the stock ride and add the rear gear change myself from the FRP parts bin. The rear will improve the acceleration easier than mods for horsepower.

Great info...

Archived