TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel Cleaning Between Washes?

09KR0058

What do you guys recommend to use to clean the brake dust off the wheels between washes?

I keep the KR nice and shiny, and garaged all the time, but after spending a day driving around, I have the cursed brake dust on the wheels, especially the fronts. I'm wondering what you guys do to wipe the dust clean, when the car is in the garage, without using a hose and bucket. I have a big stack of cheap shop rags that I consider disposable, but I'm concerned about a build-up of abrasion on these wheels.

I'm leaning towards using Simple Green and the shop rags, but wanted to run this by the experts here.

Enlighten me brothers!!!!

Quite honestly I just use an old white undershirt, or a cut up sweatshirt and just wipe them down. Works fine for me! Just wear a glove or else your hands will be wearing the brake dust, haha. And yes like someone mentioned above, it actual does help to have a few coats of wax on them. :yup:

Those pads that come in 'em stock, sure do make lots of dust..! I've been wiping mine down after every drive, using a microfiber cloth and some Meguire's detail spray. I don't do the backs of the wheel; I'll clean there when I pull 'em off for whatever reason.

I just use paper towels and a spray bottle with water, between washes and during washes.

I used to use terrycloth towels but I did not want brake dust going through my washing machine and leaving residue anymore,

I was going to wait untill the stock pads were worn and replace with some that dust less but I have over 23k miles and still over 50% of the stack pad material, don't think I can wait that long!

Don't use Simple Green, it's way too harsh WAY too harsh.

Your wheels are clearcoated just like the paint on your car so you should treat them as you treat your car.

Wash them with the same soap you wash your car with (a car wash soap, not dawn or dishwashing liquid) and then wax them just like you wax your car paint.

The wax will not only protect the finish, it will also make it much easier to clean the wheels the next time you wash.

Oh and PLEASE don't use paper towels on your wheels! This is equivalent to rubbing wood against the finish and WILL wear away the finish.

I have a few dedicated microfiber towels that I use for my wheels. I wash and rinse them out in my soap bucket after then I wash them with the rest of my microfibers.

The dust will stain the microfiber, but if it's clean you should be fine.

For what it's worth, I use Sprayaway glass cleaner with a blue ("shop") paper towel, and my Alcoa's sparkle afterwards.

Your wheels are clearcoated just like the paint on your car so you should treat them as you treat your car.

Wash them with the same soap you wash your car with (a car wash soap, not dawn or dishwashing liquid) and then wax them just like you wax your car paint.

The wax will not only protect the finish, it will also make it much easier to clean the wheels the next time you wash.

Oh and PLEASE don't use paper towels on your wheels! This is equivalent to rubbing wood against the finish and WILL wear away the finish.

I have a few dedicated microfiber towels that I use for my wheels. I wash and rinse them out in my soap bucket after then I wash them with the rest of my microfibers.

I like this advice.

• 3 weeks later...

is there a wax and soap you would recommend? or you use personally? i've been wiping mine dry with old t-shirts. after reading these posts i definitely don't want to change how i'm cleaning the rims

"Oh and PLEASE don't use paper towels on your wheels! This is equivalent to rubbing wood against the finish and WILL wear away the finish."

Respectively, that's just not true.

DRY paper towels maybe, but using a quality paper towel with a good solution like a glass cleaner works just fine. I've been using that combination for years on my Alcoas (quick clean up between washes) and don't have ONE scratch on them.

As far as waxing the wheels are concerned, there's nothing wrong with using wax on the wheels, but keep in mind that the wax breaks down just as soon as the wheels get hot, and that happens just after a couple of miles of driving.

is there a wax and soap you would recommend? or you use personally? i've been wiping mine dry with old t-shirts. after reading these posts i definitely don't want to change how i'm cleaning the rims

Any car wash soap really is fine... you can get it at any auto parts store.

As for wax, I use Clearkote's Carnuba Moose, but again really whatever wax you prefer to use on your car you can use on your wheels.

"Oh and PLEASE don't use paper towels on your wheels! This is equivalent to rubbing wood against the finish and WILL wear away the finish."

Respectively, that's just not true.

DRY paper towels maybe, but using a quality paper towel with a good solution like a glass cleaner works just fine. I've been using that combination for years on my Alcoas (quick clean up between washes) and don't have ONE scratch on them.

As far as waxing the wheels are concerned, there's nothing wrong with using wax on the wheels, but keep in mind that the wax breaks down just as soon as the wheels get hot, and that happens just after a couple of miles of driving.

Hey if it works for you then by all means have at it.... do you have other Alcoas? I mean how many "years" are we talking about?

Also if you're going to use the paper towels on the wheels why not use them on your whole car? I've seen this done before at coin-op washes... I wouldn't recommend that either.

I can only tell you from experience that using paper towels on wheels WILL degrade the finish.

I too was ill informed many years ago and managed to wear away the paint on my '91 Mustang GT rims (The gray five-star pony rims) by using a paper towel and detail spray to clean them. I can post pictures of those wheels if you like, I still have them in a box... they have since been replaced with new wheels.

Needless to say I haven't used paper towels on anything but glass since then.

Also a "quality" paper towel is made out of the same substance as a "regular" paper towel right? Paper?

I wasn't aware that there were categories involved with paper towels on a quality scale.

And you do a "quick cleanup between washes?"

So not only are you using a product that is formulated for glass (I sincerely hope it isn't Windex with ammonia) you are in-effect rubbing a paper towel against your wheels WITH the added abrasion of brake dust, not the best idea IMO.

But again if it works for you have at it.

I wouldn't do it, and I would hope others wouldn't either, but it's not my car.

As for the wax, I think you're ill-informed. Most carnuba wax has a boiling, or melting point of about 180 degrees. Yes over time it will wear away, but it certainly won't do that in "a couple of miles." Unless your wheels get A LOT hotter than mine after two miles :)

Think about this...imagine a black car in the sun all day long.

I live in Texas and in the summer it can get close to 100 degrees. On that black paint it gets even hotter as it absorbs the heat from the sun... and yes eventually the car will need to be re-waxed. But typically a decent carnuba will last (in the summer months of Texas) at least a week if the car is always outside and up to three weeks if the car is garaged.

I've been detailing cars for about seven years so I'm well aware of how long a client's car can go on a particular wax... wheels included ;)

Just trying to offer some advice from experience... take it for what it's worth.

The Alcoas are alot tougher than you think. These wheels were designed with HEAVY DUTY brakes in mind. Simple Green cut 6:1 works fine. Use a high quality wheel seal and they will look great for years to come. I have a client who high speed auto crosses at speeds over 100mph on average and the wheels still look great because of proper maintance. if you have any questions contact me and I will be glad to help and or explain the wheels in greater "DETAIL".

Archived