TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terminator or GT500

CobraSnake

So I've been looking a Mustang's for quite some time, I spent some time working last year and the year before that. I worked for quite sometime until getting laid off, that put plan's on hold.

So fast forward to this year, I now in college, community college for the time being. I am planning to get either one after I graduate. I have driven a Terminator but I don't like the feeling of the transmission the T-56's are to damn stiff. I know alot of people complain about that.

I haven't driven a GT500 But they are coming down in price rather quickly, almost in Cobra range, depending on miledge of coarse. I though about taking out a loan while still in college, But it would scare me to make payment's during school, and with the economy still in the shit I'd be worried about Job Security, I don't want to have to make payment's and then get laid off. Plus I'd have to put a hefty down payment to get payment's comfortably where I want them to be.

So I am asking you guy's what I should do? Should I get a GT500 or Terminator after college? they should be cheaper by then as well. btw I am currently majoring in Liberal Art's plan to change that to Business very soon, though about Criminal Justice and Marketing as well.

It suck's taking a full semester. But I gotta do what I gotta do. I plan to transfer to a 4 year school in a year in a half, depending on grades and Credits.

So I've been looking a Mustang's for quite some time, I spent some time working last year and the year before that. I worked for quite sometime until getting laid off, that put plan's on hold.

So fast forward to this year, I now in college, community college for the time being. I am planning to get either one after I graduate. I have driven a Terminator but I don't like the feeling of the transmission the T-56's are to damn stiff. I know alot of people complain about that.

I haven't driven a GT500 But they are coming down in price rather quickly, almost in Cobra range, depending on miledge of coarse. I though about taking out a loan while still in college, But it would scare me to make payment's during school, and with the economy still in the shit I'd be worried about Job Security, I don't want to have to make payment's and then get laid off. Plus I'd have to put a hefty down payment to get payment's comfortably where I want them to be.

So I am asking you guy's what I should do? Should I get a GT500 or Terminator after college? they should be cheaper by then as well. btw I am currently majoring in Liberal Art's plan to change that to Business very soon, though about Criminal Justice and Marketing as well.

It suck's taking a full semester. But I gotta do what I gotta do. I plan to transfer to a 4 year school in a year in a half, depending on grades and Credits.

Just my 2 cents but get a gt500 I was shopping for an 03 or 04 when I found my GT500. Terminators are COOL but a GT500 is a Shelby!

Just my 2 cents but get a gt500 I was shopping for an 03 or 04 when I found my GT500. Terminators are COOL but a GT500 is a Shelby!

Thanks, I am starting to wonder if it would even be worth it, to modify car's anymore, or even get a fast car for that matter. You can't really use the power anywhere but the track, plus value's on car's drop like crazy. unless its an Antique, but I guess if you into that stuff that's the risk you take. I've been driving for 3 year's going on 4 this year, and I haven't modified my first car yet, don't plan to either, may not either.

Don't get me wrong both cars are nice, but is it worth it is the question. I know some will agree to disagree but its all good. I am just keeping my post's to a minimum around here as it is. to not sound like a troll or fanboy etc.

This is from a college student to a college student.

You need to think long and hard about what you want and what you need. Of course you want a fast car, that's a given and I'm not going to take away from you.

I'm 22 years old and I was a loan officer for 2 years for a very well known bank. I came across A LOT of college students that wanted to buy their first dream sports car or muscle car, and I had to tell them no. Mainly because of their length on the job, but I was also worried about them hate going to work so much that they would hate their beloved car.

I always sat them down and asked "What would you prefer more, owning your dream car or owning your dream garage?" Meaning, find what you want to do, what you would love to do and pursue that, everything else will come.

With that being said, I've driven both '03 Cobra and a '07 Shelby on the track here in Cresson. They both scared the crap out of me when entering the bends, but they hold their own. I would have to say that the Cobra wins traction, brakes, steering input and suspension, but the Shelby wins in the throttle response, pedal spacing (for heel toe maneuvers,) and the transmission. If you like a well balanced car I would take the Cobra, but the Shelby is an absolute beast. Either way you will buying a great car!

Anyways good luck in school and have fun!

PS when do you graduate? Me, 2011 :happy feet: :happy feet:

This is from a college student to a college student.

You need to think long and hard about what you want and what you need. Of course you want a fast car, that's a given and I'm not going to take away from you.

I'm 22 years old and I was a loan officer for 2 years for a very well known bank. I came across A LOT of college students that wanted to buy their first dream sports car or muscle car, and I had to tell them no. Mainly because of their length on the job, but I was also worried about them hate going to work so much that they would hate their beloved car.

I always sat them down and asked "What would you prefer more, owning your dream car or owning your dream garage?" Meaning, find what you want to do, what you would love to do and pursue that, every else will come.

With that being said, I've driven both '03 Cobra and a '07 Shelby on the track here in Cresson. They both scared the crap out of me when entering the bends, but they hold their own. I would have to say that the Cobra wins traction, brakes, steering input and suspension, but the Shelby wins in the throttle response, pedal spacing (for heel toe maneuvers,) and the transmission. If you like a well balanced car I would take the Cobra, but the Shelby is an absolute beast. Either way you will buying a great car!

Anyways good luck in school and have fun!

PS when do you graduate? Me, 2011 :happy feet: :happy feet:

Well as of right now, I go to a Community College, and depending on my grade's I am going to transfer to a 4 year school. i'll be getting an degree in "12, I would have gotten it this year, but decided to take a year off from school. I am gonna try and transfer within a year in a half, depending on grades like I said before.

I worked fulltime and went to night school to get a AAS its not a 4 year degree but its helped me make a good living and I've worked with a lot of good people along the way.I'd wait till you are done with school and have yourself established in a job. With the job market the way it is its not a given anymore that you'll be good to go after school. It sucks to wait but it makes things sweeter and mean more to you when you get them. Besides by the time you get settled something else will be the in the limelight in the mustang world. I'd like to do a MCA correct resto on my 67 coupe have a 00R and a terminator and a fox with a nasty N/A setup in it. I'm hopefully I'll get a shot at accomplishing those things it would be great but I realize its not going to come easy or it might not happen at all. Don't push yourself into a bad spot.

I to longed for cool transportation to school;instead drove a 87 mitsubishi 4wd pickup.

Now I own 4 Shelbys a collection of Mustangs,a 60x100 shop building...........The car will come;get your education without stressing over car payments.

Speaking from personal experience taking a break from school makes it real hard to go back.

Good Luck;

i've got both a 03 Cobra convert and a 09 500 convert; for carving Mulholland we'll take the Cobra,the 500 is great for the drive along the PCH

Doc Scott

I find myself in the same situation as you man. I was actually thinking that I could get a 03-04 Cobra and start paying it off until I graduate in 2012, hopefully. That would be approx. 3 out 5 yrs of payments before the student loans would kick in. That means I would have 2 yrs left of payments PLUS students loans. Don't know man, this is killing me I really want one either one. best of luck dude.

Thanks guys, I think I may settle for a sn95 cobra or fox body, they seem pretty obtainable at this time, and it won't break the bank to bad. I could always save up again to get a termy or just buy a gt500, their getting cheaper as well. they have been in production more then the 03-04 cobra. I mean the 07-11 has been on the same s197 platform, only things that have changed is the face lift. and a tune with an intake.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with the s197 once you're ready to buy. The sn95 terminator is a great machine but the s197 is newer technology, which you can never go wrong with.

Out of the box the terminator is definitely superior in the handling department but I'm sure a good set of sport tires and a few upgrades from Ford Racing or Shelby will put the GT500 around the same level. Plus the 5.4L is an absolute beast :rockon:

Archived