TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car lifts

Craigo

There are actually 2 cars under the lift. My son and daughter's SuperComp rear engine dragsters. Both are BBC powered making around a thousand horsepower each. Under the cover was my son's 2001 Mustang we were storing while he was off to the Navy which he has since upgraded to a Lightining with a custom built 5.4 making about 650 horses and a 2001 Mustang GT with a 500 horse 4.8. The red Mustang was my wife's which she sold to buy the 2007 GT500 which has since been upgraded to a SuperSnake. You could say we have a sort of horsepower fetish.

Nice! I thought those meats looked pretty big!

Your shop is sweet Dennis, nice rides in it too!!

The two post lifts are nice for working and cleaning access!! For storage I think the 4 posts are better because they keep the suspension loaded...

My next garage will have one of each!!

I have a direct lift 7000lb and I love it. I wish I had a 2 post some time though when you are taking off your wheels a 2 post sure makes it nice. Me and a friend installed it.

My 4 post came with a couple options that allow for removing wheels. One is a rolling jack tray and the other is a set of ramps that allow for loading it from the side thus allowing the wheels to hang free. I have used the rolling jack tray numerous times but have never side loaded it. I am not to sure how this would work with most cars but a full frame vehicle such as a pickup I can see where it would work nice. I have used mine mostly for storage but have pulled trannys, done brakes, oil changes, and other things so I feel the 4 post is most versatile for the do-it-yourselfer. In my opinion the biggest advantage to a twin post would be if you do a lot of suspension work.

Thanks OCD. It's a 34'x40' metal pole building with 14' walls and two 12x12 doors. Those were some old pics from last winter. Here are some updated shots of my man cave. I don't seem to have any problem filling it up. lol

DSC_0504.jpg

Wow Bob - sure jealous on your setup. I think this is the year I find the new place - with more garage space than living...

Wow I may be moving in the next few months, one of my main goals is to NEVER EVER get a regular 2 car garage again. When you add tool boxes and kids toys it is very soon a 1 car garage and this is with a large shed to hold all the Garden and Lawn crap. Anyway your garages look great, if or when I move I will be asking some questions.

I have a direct lift 7000lb and I love it. I wish I had a 2 post some time though when you are taking off your wheels a 2 post sure makes it nice. Me and a friend installed it.

Nice shop Dennis! I like the floor. I haven't done anything with the floor yet.

post-19899-126618115472_thumb.jpgpost-19899-126618117062_thumb.jpgYou guys have some nice setups there! Here's mine that I built in 2005. 32x72x16. The lift is on my short list!

Hey dukenrock you are going to have to put in 2 lifts with a shop that big! That thing is awesome. I like the way you finished it off with the metal.

Is your lift not secured to the floor? I see no bolts.

No its portable at the moment, I have wheels to move it around, when I get a bigger shop with full height I may bolt down... Bolts came with the kit... Even the guys installing it said it really only needs to be bolted if you are using it every day in like a commercial application...

Thanks Slabo...It's pretty full right now. One lift would be sweet. I like the idea of not having to bolt it down too. I like the lift you have!

Nice shop Dennis! I like the floor. I haven't done anything with the floor yet.

Hey dukenrock you are going to have to put in 2 lifts with a shop that big! That thing is awesome. I like the way you finished it off with the metal.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my solution MaxJax...as I only have a 10' ceiling. Lifts up to 6000lbs and can easily be disconnected from the floor and moved out of the way. Can be found for a little below $2k most places. It only lifts the car up 48", but that's plenty to get most anything done. I also use it for mowers and my 4-wheeler. :dance:

post-25761-126738428975_thumb.jpg

post-25761-126738428975_thumb.jpg

+1 I have the same lift as well. Very nicely built with top safety features. I removed the stock ramps and use a pair of race ramps to get on and off the lift.

DSC_0735.jpg

DSC_0737.jpg

I'm glad you have the space to get that great looking HD F 250 in the garage. Mine sit's outside

I only have a small garage for the cars.

I envy this man cave!!!!! :rockon:

Thanks UMGriz. It has been fun being out there over the cold winter months.

Do you who own the Bendpak kits mind me asking how much they set you back - roughly? They look great, but the website doesn't give a hint on price.

I bought mine at http://www.asedeals.com/garage_lift.html $2470, free shipping.

I'm glad you have the space to get that great looking HD F 250 in the garage. Mine sit's outside

I only have a small garage for the cars.

That is my fav truck so far and I have owed a few Ford Superduty's. It does fit but barely. I wish I had made the shop 5' longer but it does work.

I have a rotary two post and it does a good job, other than no storage space. I was at a local dealership asking questions and someone said "since you don't use a lift daily you may want one out of a dealership, they are leased you know". Installed

$1100.00. ok only a 30 day warranty. not a traditional purchase, but ?. just my two cents :happy feet:

I have a rotary two post and it does a good job, other than no storage space. I was at a local dealership asking questions and someone said "since you don't use a lift daily you may want one out of a dealership, they are leased you know". Installed

$1100.00. ok only a 30 day warranty. not a traditional purchase, but ?. just my two cents :happy feet:

Nice kylet! That is one great looking stable you got there. :drool:

Has anyone out there put a lift in a standard 2 1/2 car garage???

I am courious to find out if you can store a car under and still have clearance with the garage door open. :headscratch:

Has anyone out there put a lift in a standard 2 1/2 car garage???

I am courious to find out if you can store a car under and still have clearance with the garage door open. :headscratch:

Not usually with a regular garage door, unless you redo the rails to a higher postiton... Or have two really low cars...

I got my lift airline system set up... :happy feet: Well, I still need a long curly cord airline for my rolling jack...

First I replaced the main regulator on the compressor, the old gauge was toast... I added a t fitting and two quick connects... The red hose connects to the lift regulator (100psi) when needed and the yellow hose is for air tools(90psi)...

MEMO0022_disp640.jpg

This is the set up for air tools.. I got the air hose reel from a buddy for Christmas and it works sweet!!

MEMO0025_disp640.jpg

The set up for the lift and jack...

MEMO0018_disp640.jpg

MEMO0016_disp640.jpg

When I was at Canadian Tire getting some fittings I noticed this mastercraft inch/pound torque wrench on sale for half price!!

MEMO0032_disp640.jpg

I went with a Rotary 4 post lift in a standard 2 car garage, very happy with it. My ceiling is a bit over 12' so I have plenty of height, I just had to have my garage door rails reconfigured. The door company also moved my screw type door opener so that it is floor mounted to the right of the door with the motor in the air and a bracket installed on the door for it to attach to. Pretty trick.

I went with a Rotary 4 post lift in a standard 2 car garage, very happy with it. My ceiling is a bit over 12' so I have plenty of height, I just had to have my garage door rails reconfigured. The door company also moved my screw type door opener so that it is floor mounted to the right of the door with the motor in the air and a bracket installed on the door for it to attach to. Pretty trick.

That sounds interesting.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly what did that set you back and do you have any pictures of the set-up?

That sounds interesting.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly what did that set you back and do you have any pictures of the set-up?

It has been a while, I can look for the receipts but the lift was approx $3300, install was about $500 and to redo the garage door rails and move the opener I think that was about $600. There are other lifts for considerably less but a rotary is one of the manufacturers used by dealers and garages so it will last a long time and probably have a better resale value. I'll have to dig for pics and post them later.

Archived