TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anybody using lethals xpipe and stock mufflers?

cbr1000

Yet again another exhaust question....

Has anybody ran Lethals pipe with stock exhaust? Overall I think the stock mufflers sound decent. I was thinking this might be a good route to go? Boot the cats, put on lethals pipe, keep the stock exhaust and add their tune/pully?? I'm guessing by removing the stock cats I will get better exhaust tone + increase in hp + mpg + ruin the ozone?

Yet again another exhaust question....

Has anybody ran Lethals pipe with stock exhaust? Overall I think the stock mufflers sound decent. I was thinking this might be a good route to go? Boot the cats, put on lethals pipe, keep the stock exhaust and add their tune/pully?? I'm guessing by removing the stock cats I will get better exhaust tone + increase in hp + mpg + ruin the ozone?

Yep put them on about 2 weeks ago. I did the JL tune and all I can say is very nice. Sound is great, and now I push a solid 10lb boost. Before the pipes best I could get was 8. I am still running the stock mufflers and pully. Only issue is the unscrubbed exhaust stinks. I park my car in the garage and when I back in to park the fumes are so bad it makes my eyes water, and my wife yell at me.

I literally just started my 07 with Lethals O/R x pipe with the stock mufflers about 10 minutes ago, I think it sounds great, but can't drive the car yet do to snow :(

Do 2010s have different mufflers than 07-09?

Yes the 10's have different mufflers, they sound 100% better than the 07-09's.

here are two youtube vids of my stock exhaust/or X-pipe combo

Yep put them on about 2 weeks ago. I did the JL tune and all I can say is very nice. Sound is great, and now I push a solid 10lb boost. Before the pipes best I could get was 8. I am still running the stock mufflers and pully. Only issue is the unscrubbed exhaust stinks. I park my car in the garage and when I back in to park the fumes are so bad it makes my eyes water, and my wife yell at me.

Todd maybe you need a shower!!

Todd maybe you need a shower!!

Call me an idiot, but what is involved in "the tune" part of this mod. I agree the exhaust is awesome, but to get it to sound that good, am I correct that you have to do the pulley swap and tune together. Is this done by yourself, or do you have a dealer/ technician that does the tune?? I'm in Alberta, not sure of the high performance shops up here, I'm sure there are some capable, just not sure how to go about doing these mods. This is what I have my mind set on doing, just want to make sure when I do it, it's done correctly!!! Any help is appreciated!!

Call me an idiot, but what is involved in "the tune" part of this mod. I agree the exhaust is awesome, but to get it to sound that good, am I correct that you have to do the pulley swap and tune together. Is this done by yourself, or do you have a dealer/ technician that does the tune?? I'm in Alberta, not sure of the high performance shops up here, I'm sure there are some capable, just not sure how to go about doing these mods. This is what I have my mind set on doing, just want to make sure when I do it, it's done correctly!!! Any help is appreciated!!

I'm in the process of doing the o/r x pipe and pully swap with tune as well, you can do it yourself if you have the tools. I've yet to install the tune, but the company i purchased it from said they would walk me through it over the phone if I ran into trouble. The hardest thing I've found is NOTHING comes with instructions, you have to search the net, it takes a little time but you can find very informative write ups. And you have to have the tune "written" for all the mods you want to add, install them first and load the tune. The Tune helps the cars computer react to the changes you've made, it's my understanding the car won't run right if you add items without a tune

I hope this helps!

This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway, is it legal to run an o/r un-catted xpipe on the street, and if you do, do you have to retune for the xpipe?

Not legal, and you do need a retune. I don't understand the specifics, but I believe it has to do with the air O2 sensors reading too rich because the cats are gone. If you don't tune then the engine trys to compensate for the rich mix which makes things run even worse... I may be off here regarding the reason you need the tune, but I do know it's necessary.

The tune is needed to turn off the rear O2 sensors, and the tune I have also stops the computer from dumping fuel at WOT. From what I was told the stock tune defuels at WOT to help save the CATS from being damaged. But with an Off-Road pipe you no longer need this safety feature.

And you do not need a dealer or any special knowlage to install a tune. If you can plug in a toaster you can download a tune to your car. I am using the SCT X3 p#3000.

The tune cost me $150, I bought mine from Lethal Performance when I ordered the pipe. They will in turn call John Lund with some info you provide them and John will send them the tune, and you will get it in an Email.

Or you can get one direct from John himself. Price is the same.

Hope this helps

Todd

PS. Bob, yes I think I do.

Archived