TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What do 07-09 owners think about the 2011 GT 500?

sudden

We all make different decisions and have different goals.

My 401K has gained back almost all of it's losses. I'm keeping it for the long haul. I no longer put money into it, but it has been fun watching it make back its losses.

My next goal is to pay off my house no later that 2015 when I retire. I can't achieve my goal if I borrow money on it.

shift.gif

I also have the Pink Slip to the house.............

Now if I can just keep the "TAXES" paid up in this "WONDERFUL STATE"???????

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the performance changes on the '11. I like the weight savings on the '11. I like the Seats on the '10-'11. I like how Ford and SVT have shown that they are paying attention to the people buying the cars, otherwise I don't think they would not have made many of these changes. I do; however, love my '08. If I could get the aluminium block changed out and the seats changed out for a fair price, then I would be in complete heaven. I have already added many of the other mods to personalize my GT500 to be comletely mine. (Self paited center bezel, self painted and modified trunk tool kit from Roush-that now says Shelby and looks factory-, added some performance mods, etc.) All in all. I'm keeping this one till they pry it from my cold dead hands. If an '11 comes into my garage then I won tons of money somewhere and added another car .

I was noticing that the 07-09 Shelby gt 500 owners have been pretty quite about the 2011? So what do you all think? Well I will start it off buy saying, mine is paid for! I like the older styling better and the power addition is not really that much more on the old ones. But I do like the fact that you can get an upgrade when ordering. I also like the wheels. I am a little worried about the spray on cylinder coating. We will have to see if it holds up or not. SUDDEN.

Since you asked....it still has an 'Ugly butt' and they screwed up the stripes and rocker stripe. The racing stripes look like stripes you would see on a mini cooper....way too small for the car. Also the rocker stripe sits too high and is too thick. Of course there are enhancements.....the handling, HPincrease, aluminum block but it only saves about ~100 lbs which isn't a lot. The shelbys of the late 60's and 70 were very different. The 70 model is not desireable at all compared to the 68/69 models. I think until they replace that rear it won't be as desirable as the 07 to 09. The '07 to '09 are more like the 68/69 and the 2010 and newer ones are more like the 70 model. This is why the ADM was in place for over several years (2007 and 2008) but you don't see ADM on the new body style Just one persons opinion....we all have one.

Personally I really like the 2011. Not sure if I like or dislike the stripes yet. The rear-end has grown on me a bit, ok not really. That said, I really feel like there is something special about the '07-'09's. Maybe a certain pride of ownership for having the first of the redesigned body style. The style is spot on in my opinion. My wife loves cars too, but doesn't know much about them. However she is learning so I always run the new styles by her just to get her take. Maybe it's because it's ours and she's biased, but she always says how much better looking our '08 car is than the new ones....especially the GT350. With our car now modded and complete with the Griggs SS setup, I don't think I will ever sell it. Seriously, I may add other cars to my garage some day, but this is my first Shelby ever and will most likely be my last....unless we win the lottery. With my tune, CAI, pulley and suspension, I'd gladly go up against any of the new Shelby's and know that I will always be able to hold my own and then some....even if they're modded.

Either way, props to Ford and Shelby for listening to the public and making the desired performance upgrades. I just want to know who they were listening too when they decided to tweak the body in 2010? Still good looking, but IMHO, doesn't hold a candle to the '07-'09's.

It looks like the 2011 convertible makes my '08 convertible a dinosaur.

I would love to have one based on all the updates they have done, especially with the performance package. But, the '10-'11 styling doesn't suite my tastes. The butt is very ugly and the nose on the GT500 looks too heavy. The skinny stripes on the GT500 performance package look odd, but those could grow on me.

I'm glad that I'm not tired of my 08 . . . . . . yet. :shades:

I would love to have one based on all the updates they have done, especially with the performance package. But, the '10-'11 styling doesn't suite my tastes. The butt is very ugly and the nose on the GT500 looks too heavy. The skinny stripes on the GT500 performance package look odd, but those could grow on me.

It will be interesting to see if any of the new convertible bracing can be used on the '07-'10's.

I agree on the front looking to heavy and the rear end looks to bland and still sits to high on the standard GT500. I had a choice buy a 08 GT500kr @ a great price , just under a 2011 with the SVT package. I went with the KR even with future clutch problems. If you look back @ the first Mustang Cobra that SVT did you would be amazed @ how FARRR they have come. I say a big thank you for staying true to your goals .They must have a ball coming up with these new models each year. My only comment would be" KISS" first then if you must change it for performance than do it. I had a Ford GT and in 5 to 10 years there are so many future problems that will arrive that repair cost will be sky high . Lets not move the Mustang in this direction .

I am extreemly happy and content with my 2007, and I am also very, very, happy that it's a Super Snake too. But having said that, I absolutely LOVE the 2011 500 and would buy one in a heartbeat, and those folks that are going to buy one without the SVT package are making a rather large mistake in my opinion.

Concerns about the SVT package's harsh ride are unfounded, and the aluminum spray bore block is top notch too. SVT has been working on (refining) the 2011 MY 500 for over two years now, and the men and women at SVT who worked on the project are not stupid asses who just fell off of the turnip truck. One thing's for sure, they know a great deal more about the engineering of the car than those closed minded, uninformed, naysayers who have their own agendas to dump on the car, the package, and the engine (block).

The 2011 GT500 with or without the SVT package is a FANTASTIC car, but ordering one with the package makes it the ULTIMATE (stock, factory equipped) GT500.

I am concerned about the spray on cylinder liner. Iron liners would have been ideal in my opinoin. I understand this isn't as durable under higher boost levels. I don't like the idea of a disposable block. Just my .02

The 2011 GT500 with the SVT Package is a very nice evolution of the car.

Alum block, 550hp, 3.73s, lighter rims, it's going to make for a fun drive.

I love my 2007 and wouldn't give it up for a 2011. Some of the improvements can be retrofitted to the old ones I'm sure.

That being said, when this motor goes :censored: it's getting replaced with Aluminum :hysterical:

Lets hope Ford SVT tested the 2011 GT500 Aluminum Block better than the

07-09 GT500 Flyweel/Clutches????????????

Can you imagine a "TSB" to replace a Cylinder Block???????? :doh:

No kidding. It is great that they simulated 250K miles, but how about all the heat cycling of an engine started at 50 deg and run to temperture a couple times a day. That would seem much harder on the engine than a nice 250K mile single temperature test. They probably are smart enough to know this, but then I would have thought the same about the clutch that apparently was only designed and tested to be run on a race track continuously for it's life.

They won't need to TSB it, as I am sure it will make it thru warranty, but how will they be 10 years from now on the weekend warriors?

salute.gif Congrats.

It must be nice to not have a house payment.

funny thing about that. One day My dad and i went to look for cars. We got talking about houses and stuff. I thought his was paid for.... Then he said; i could pay it off, but if i did then your mother would find something else to spend that payment on.... so i'll just keep paying on the house :D

I am extreemly happy and content with my 2007, and I am also very, very, happy that it's a Super Snake too. But having said that, I absolutely LOVE the 2011 500 and would buy one in a heartbeat, and those folks that are going to buy one without the SVT package are making a rather large mistake in my opinion.

Concerns about the SVT package's harsh ride are unfounded, and the aluminum spray bore block is top notch too. SVT has been working on (refining) the 2011 MY 500 for over two years now, and the men and women at SVT who worked on the project are not stupid asses who just fell off of the turnip truck. One thing's for sure, they know a great deal more about the engineering of the car than those closed minded, uninformed, naysayers who have their own agendas to dump on the car, the package, and the engine (block).

The 2011 GT500 with or without the SVT package is a FANTASTIC car, but ordering one with the package makes it the ULTIMATE (stock, factory equipped) GT500.

You hit the nail on the head. The SVT package stipes grew on me fast. I wish I had one on order.

+1

It would be nice to have both cars.

I would like to shake hands of the person that thought of and approved the new stripes, it's an awesome idea and shows Ford has the stuff. The aluminum aloy engine block and electric assist steering make huge difference. Here you have a factory Shelby that is Bad Azz. Looking forward to seeing video of the car on a track.

Edit: an 07-09 and a new GT500, yea!

We all make different decisions and have different goals.

My 401K has gained back almost all of it's losses. I'm keeping it for the long haul. I no longer put money into it, but it has been fun watching it make back its losses.

My next goal is to pay off my house no later that 2015 when I retire. I can't achieve my goal if I borrow money on it.

shift.gif

Wow your 401K gained back almost all of its lossses? Obama must be doing a great job. I am sure you appreciate him more and more now.

Well from a Technological Viewpoint the 11 GT500 is pretty cool for sure.From a looks Perspective in My opinion the 10-11 GT500's just Do Not have the Character as the 07-09 GT500's. Ford just keeps Watering Down the Looks Totally. The 10-11 just does Not have the Menacing in your Face Attitude of the 07-09's.For the First time in my life maybe(in how i like a car), I actually like these cars less and less the more I look at them (10-11). The Front end "Mouth" so to speak is too "Tall" and the Cobra just does not look Right on the Passenger side of the Grille, the sides of the car are too smooth without the Fender Flares and the Rear End is just Shit (come on just admit it already). Yeah it has 40-50 more Hp, Handles better , Interior (Totally Subjective) nicer, etc... That is IF you compare Stock to Stock. These cars are Begging to be Modded, and Are by the most part, by A lot of their Owners. So the power increase and Suspension are completely Moot (I mean do you Really Like the 4x4 Look,really). Cant ever get too pumped about Stock Wheels as well (forged or not) so whatever on that. But hey it "Is a Shelby" so Hell yeah if I was Loaded I would buy one Today and Props to Ford for Building Great Fun Cars (I would actully buy a 11 GT 5.0 before the 11Gt500).

I think SVT is doing a Great job with the GT500, though I too do not care for the rear end style of the 10-11's. Unpinch the tail lights and rework the lower section and I'd have a harder time staying away from the dealer.

My 08 already has the FRPP handling pak, TVS, 3:73 gears, custom wheels, Shelby H/E and a few mods waiting to get installed, I think mine will hold it's own with the new ones. :burnout:

Though a new 5.0 maybe added to the stable.

Archived